Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

To busy to go away the misses is fuming

So we're going away with my girlfriend's parents for 10 days but I now can't leave for 10 days as I need the money and cant afford  to be away from the buisiness that long so the dog and misses are going but not me lol.  

Do you think this is fair ? I .ran if I go I could potentially suffer further down the line it's all consuming just under a year in buisiness . 

It’s 50/50 for me.
Part of the reason I am a self employed window cleaner is that it gives me greater flexibility and I can take all the time I want off. 
But I wouldn’t usually plan to have much time off in spring/early summer as that’s often the busiest time of the year for me. 
You have to find the balance.

That's one of the downsides to being self employed, if you need the money you can't have the time off. Not a good long term strategy though.

So we're going away with my girlfriend's parents for 10 days but I now can't leave for 10 days as I need the money and cant afford  to be away from the buisiness that long so the dog and misses are going but not me lol.  

Do you think this is fair ? I .ran if I go I could potentially suffer further down the line it's all consuming just under a year in buisiness . 
@Matt steel 118Has it been planned for a while and you’re busier than you thought now? Or is it more a last minute thing? I understand both of your points. Personally I’d go but could you maybe go after a couple of days and then come back a couple of days earlier? That way you get a bit of a holiday and only a half-angry girlfriend.

A business pays the bills but being single cost less

IMO YOU NEED TO CONCENTRATE ON YOUR BUSINESS!if you cant afford a holiday...DONT TAKE ONE!there will be plenty of time in a few years when your established and you can afford one....good luck mate...your missus should understand...

who wants to go away with their girlfriends parents anyway??

I would agree that if moneys the issue don’t go. But if it’s that your too busy by that rationale then you’ll never have another holiday. If your building your business you’ll only get busier in the future

You gotta do what's right for you about 10 years ago I turned down a free holiday in the south of France with the inlaws, one they opted to drive there so no way I was driving 100's of miles down to dover then across France also we were in the middle of a house sale and purchase, 

Pleased I never went my wife  drank a bottle of brandy just to cope with her dad's driving and long journey ? and I had a nice quiet week or so at home 

Last edited by a moderator:
If your in the process of setting up and building a business, then sacrifices have to be made. Money could be tight , so could time. 

On the other hand if it’s a well established business and you haven’t got the  time or money to go away, then something is wrong with your set up , and you need to change it??

I’m writing this , after having a fried breakfast,  on our family’s first holiday away in two years?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm away down to Brixham tomorrow for a couple of days sea kayaking and camping with some good mates. First time on the sea since last autumn. Spring tides, fast tide races and some cracking headlands, cliffs and caves. Ready for a break now, I'm starting to get cranky. ⚓?

A few years ago I turned down a holiday with my wife and kids and my father in law and his wife. She was a right old bag so I politely declined citing “I can’t, I’m behind as it is”. So pleased as the holiday turned out to be a disaster and Mrs fell out with her step mum and came back early lol nothing worse than being stuck on holiday with people you don’t want to be with!

To answer your question though I would say if it’s early days for your business and you feel you don’t have time/finances then stay and work and don’t be apologetic about it. When you are more established then you will be able to afford the time/money for a holiday and like others have said, there’s something wrong if you can’t do this once established.

If its cant afford to go financially then its a no brainer 'you cant go'

If its you cant afford to go because your busy, just let your customers know your going away so everybody will be a week or so later this time round.

If your customers appreciate you theyll understand.

If your really busy you should really have the money to go?

id definitely go unless I didn’t like the in laws! You can let the customers you should be with that week know if you really need to and commence when your back?!

ive always took holidays if your building still it’s gonna be worse when you have more surely?

I always have holidays. I don't tell the customers that I'm going, unless it's mentioned in chat. I just turn up with a glorious sun tan and a Hawaii shirt with palm trees on, when I get back. Then they say, oh have you been away? As for being in the dog house for not going? I wouldn't worry about that. I'm sure there will be some young buck of a waiter, only to willing to take her mind of you ??

Back