Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Al Cam window cleaning

Al Campbell

hi  due to illness, I have not used my system for about 6 months.  found this morning the pump wont pump it sounds as though its running.

everything  is as I left it, noting has been disconnected. any ideas please?

3 hours ago, Al Campbell said:

hi  due to illness, I have not used my system for about 6 months.  found this morning the pump wont pump it sounds as though its running.

everything  is as I left it, noting has been disconnected. any ideas please?

What steps have you taken to fault find?

A massive air lock

Blocked inline strainer mesh

Worn / split diaphragm

Is the water from the tank flowing via a tap and is it turned on

Al Campbell
24 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

What steps have you taken to fault find?

A massive air lock

Blocked inline strainer mesh

Worn / split diaphragm

Is the water from the tank flowing via a tap and is it turned on

Hi Apw1210

As yet I've done nothing except to try and run the pump.

All systems are as I left them, nothing has been disconnected or switched on or off.

11 minutes ago, Al Campbell said:

Hi Apw1210

As yet I've done nothing except to try and run the pump.

All systems are as I left them, nothing has been disconnected or switched on or off.

I say this alot as knowing your equipment and how it functions is key. Fault finding is as important as cleaning glass.

It's as simple as

Tank - flow controller - pump - hosereel - pole - brush

Unfortunately we can't see your setup or offer much help as your plumbing may be different to others

Turn your controller on

Make sure the tap from tank to pump is open if you have one

Set your flow rate to 99 and let it run for a few minutes without any restrictions. Disconnect your hosereel from the pump aswell open speeds up the process

Al Campbell
Just now, Dave B said:

If it's been left ages easy for an airlock to build up.

Hello Dave B  that has crossed my mind. 

I wonder if I disconnect the outlet pipe from the pump and connect the garden tap and slowly try and run some water through?

Al Campbell
4 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Turn your controller on

Make sure the tap from tank to pump is open if you have one

Set your flow rate to 99 and let it run for a few minutes without any restrictions. Disconnect your hosereel from the pump aswell open speeds up the process

Hi again, my hose reel is not connected, i did run it for a few minutes on 80. It seemed like the inlet hose was pulsating like the pump but not the outlet

3 minutes ago, Al Campbell said:

Hi again, my hose reel is not connected, i did run it for a few minutes on 80. It seemed like the inlet hose was pulsating like the pump but not the outlet

Can you upload a few photos of your system

Connect a garden hose up to the inlet side of the pump after you have removed the inlet filter. Shurflo pumps have a 1/2" male thread that is the same as a Hozelok tap connector. Then very slowly open the garden tap. This will release the non-return valve inside the pump off its seat if that's the problem.

Al Campbell
4 minutes ago, spruce said:

Connect a garden hose up to the inlet side of the pump after you have removed the inlet filter. Shurflo pumps have a 1/2" male thread that is the same as a Hozelok tap connector. Then very slowly open the garden tap. This will release the non-return valve inside the pump off its seat if that's the problem.

Just now, Al Campbell said:

Thank you, I shall try that in the morning.  Fingers crossed

Is there water in the tank 👀.? Same thing happened to a mate of mine, he had a service valve fitted, and it was in the off position....

Al Campbell
9 minutes ago, Jonny 67 said:

Is there water in the tank 👀.? Same thing happened to a mate of mine, he had a service valve fitted, and it was in the off position....

Yeah I have water in the tank, nothing on the system has changed, all valves etc are in the same position.

Disconnect the pump from the reel and put a short length of hose on to reach out of the van.

Put pump on full for a minute and see if the airlock clears.

That is probably the main issue.

Al Campbell
On 24/05/2021 at 17:41, Al Campbell said:

Hi I did as you suggested and the the pump is now working as it should.

Thank you 👍

• Like 2
Al Campbell
On 24/05/2021 at 17:41, Al Campbell said:

Hi I did as you suggested, everything is working fine now.

Thank you for your help 👍

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.