Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Flap cut in IBC lid.

Bart90

Does anyone have a picture of the flap they cut in the IBC lid to get the sub pump in? Made a hash of it and wondering if it's recoverable!

Thanks

Does anyone have a picture of the flap they cut in the IBC lid to get the sub pump in? Made a hash of it and wondering if it's recoverable!

Thanks
Going off what others have said you just need to make a cut like an X peel back drop pump then seal up with gaffa tape or similar.

Going off what others have said you just need to make a cut like an X peel back drop pump then seal up with gaffa tape or similar.
When I had one thats how I did it..also made a hole in the lid for the hose so I could screw it back on which holds the 4 bits together then tape the 4 cuts.

Thanks
Hi Lee, have i missed something in your post?   

You guys do realise that there are pumps that you can connect to the outlet?
I did know but thought i might be better with a sub pump which i can remove easily as the IBC is outside. My other option is getting a wide lid IBC but that woukld cost me £250 as used ones are scarce. 

You guys do realise that there are pumps that you can connect to the outlet?
Would you have a link to the connections needed for that type of pump?  I need to get on with sorting this as I've put it off for ages and filling loads of 25L containers takes a while making sure i'm around so they don't over fill......filling an IBC then filling 25L with a nozzle and fast pump will be so much easier and quicker.

You can get a 12v bilge pump on amazon from seaflo for around 12 quid which is a lot smaller bit would need a battery to run it off.

As @Dave B said a 12v bilge pump like this one does 4165 litres per hour for about £20, so about 30 sec to fill 25 litre barrel. If you haven't got a battery then you need a 240v AC to 12v DC power supply like this is a 5 amp 12v power supply with connectors  for about £18 this can be used to connect to the bilge pump so it's mains powered, you don't need the cctv splitter bit. Then you need some suitable pipe from bilge pump to trigger? I'm not sure how well a bilge pump will cope with a trigger nozzle as you are blocking the outlet when trigger is closed so I would only do it for short periods.

Hope that helps?

Thanks
I have never personally butchered an IBC, I also use it's 50mm outlet straight into a high volume surface water pump. Keeps the tank sealed and free from contaminants

As @Dave B said a 12v bilge pump like this one does 4165 litres per hour for about £20, so about 30 sec to fill 25 litre barrel. If you haven't got a battery then you need a 240v AC to 12v DC power supply like this is a 5 amp 12v power supply with connectors  for about £18 this can be used to connect to the bilge pump so it's mains powered, you don't need the cctv splitter bit. Then you need some suitable pipe from bilge pump to trigger? I'm not sure how well a bilge pump will cope with a trigger nozzle as you are blocking the outlet when trigger is closed so I would only do it for short periods.

Hope that helps?
I never had a trigger as had ibc in the shed and built a parking space in my back garden next to it so used an old car battery and a switch on the outside of the shed next to my back doors.

Hope that helps?
Brilliant, thanks. I've gone for the bilge pump and I'll get a battery. What type of battery is best?  Motorcycle, Car or the little types that come in the backpacks?  Only wish I'd asked before butchering the IBC lol! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant, thanks. I've gone for the bilge pump and I'll get a battery. What type of battery is best?  Motorcycle, Car or the little types that come in the backpacks?  Only wish I'd asked before butchering the IBC lol! 
Really depends on what charger you have. 

Alternatively you could use a mains powered converter. The pump says 3A but 10 amp fuse so this is a 10 Amp 12v power supply This would allow you to power the pump from 220v mains - BUT make sure you are aware that mains voltage and water are not a good combo and can kill!!! So be cautious about where the adapter is placed and plugged in, keep it well away from the water. 

Really depends on what charger you have. 

Alternatively you could use a mains powered converter. The pump says 3A but 10 amp fuse so this is a 10 Amp 12v power supply This would allow you to power the pump from 220v mains - BUT make sure you are aware that mains voltage and water are not a good combo and can kill!!! So be cautious about where the adapter is placed and plugged in, keep it well away from the water. 
I have a car & motorcylcle charger. I'll go for the car I think. Assuming it's used once a week for 20 minutes, how often should i charge it do you reckon?

I have a car & motorcylcle charger. I'll go for the car I think. Assuming it's used once a week for 20 minutes, how often should i charge it do you reckon?
If it uses 3 Amps then for 20 mins then it would take 1 Amp hour from a battery. So that would equate to about 5 Amp Hours a week. So if you have a 100 Amp Hour battery and you should never pull more than 50% of the Amp Hour capacity before a recharge. Then in theory charge once a month would be fine. Obviously id it's a small battery say 50 Amp hour then every 2 weeks etc...

Personally no matter what battery, I would, at minimum charge once a week so I know it's nice and topped up. Just have a backup plan as without a way of getting pure from your storage you can't work!!!!

I have never personally butchered an IBC, I also use it's 50mm outlet straight into a high volume surface water pump. Keeps the tank sealed and free from contaminants
Which pump and connectors do you use please? I have my submersible pump in my IBC but would love to use the IBC's outlet. We're moving soon, so am getting prepared to setup my RO properly when we do.

Leisure battery and a CTek smart charger is what I use for 12volt submersible pumps. Cheap pumps are surprisingly good. I use these to transfer water from tank in van to Gardiner backpacks. Takes about ten seconds to fill.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it uses 3 Amps then for 20 mins then it would take 1 Amp hour from a battery. So that would equate to about 5 Amp Hours a week. So if you have a 100 Amp Hour battery and you should never pull more than 50% of the Amp Hour capacity before a recharge. Then in theory charge once a month would be fine. Obviously id it's a small battery say 50 Amp hour then every 2 weeks etc...

Personally no matter what battery, I would, at minimum charge once a week so I know it's nice and topped up. Just have a backup plan as without a way of getting pure from your storage you can't work!!!!
Thanks! 

The pump has arrived.  Couple of things.

I've just got the positive and negative cables, how do i attach them to a car battery terminal?

The cables are short.  They'll never sit at the bottom of an IBC and reach the battery - how can i extend them?

Latest Posts

Back