Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

A little van racking today

laddergarder

laddergarder

Up to something alittle different today. I am replacing one of my old vans, so I have a bit of van racking to get on with today. Not something I have allot of patience for, but it does pay off getting things exactly where you want them in your van.

How many of you tackle this job yourselves and what little ideas gave came in handy for you?

20210528_131207.jpg

3 minutes ago, laddergarder said:

Up to something alittle different today. I am replacing one of my old vans, so I have a bit of van racking to get on with today. Not something I have allot of patience for, but it does pay off getting things exactly where you want them in your van.

How many of you tackle this job yourselves and what little ideas gave came in handy for you?

20210528_131207.jpg

Absolute piece of cake. I'd smash that out in 20 mins then rewire a new system in 2 hours

• Like 1
laddergarder
24 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Absolute piece of cake. I'd smash that out in 20 mins then rewire a new system in 2 hours

I am no where near as handy as you buddy, this will take me a fews days of my spare time here and there.

scottish cleaning service

I bought a few hundred pounds worth of van racking which takes 30mins to build. I can move it about once it is built.

8 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

I bought a few hundred pounds worth of van racking which takes 30mins to build. I can move it about once it is built.

Or put it in your hallway 🤣 Sorry I couldn't resist. Have a great bank holiday weekend.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, laddergarder said:

I am no where near as handy as you buddy, this will take me a fews days of my spare time here and there.

Are you making from scratch or installing a pre-cut system?

laddergarder
6 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

Are you making from scratch or installing a pre-cut system?

Making it from scratch.

20210528_151818.jpg

3 minutes ago, laddergarder said:

Making it from scratch.

20210528_151818.jpg

Have you got a profile tool which makes templating the cans inner profiles so easy.

Get plenty of 25x25mm CLS batten some wood glue and drylining screws which speeds up the job in hand

Also a few sheets of cardboard help with the design template

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, laddergarder said:

Making it from scratch.

20210528_151818.jpg

Good luck, this is one of those jobs that I could earn more money working and pay someone to do it then doing it myself. It would also save me a trip to A&E and the Wife nagging me to do odd jobs in the house.

scottish cleaning service
1 hour ago, ched999uk said:

Or put it in your hallway 🤣 Sorry I couldn't resist. Have a great bank holiday weekend.

Aye its still there loaded up with stuff. Loaded up with stock before the price rise or vat rise. Just waiting for new van to fit them in but probably need a bigger house before anything else. I'm still 7 days a week at this game and still no lull in demand. 🤑

• Like 1
  • Roll Eyes 1
6 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

Good luck, this is one of those jobs that I could earn more money working and pay someone to do it then doing it myself. It would also save me a trip to A&E and the Wife nagging me to do odd jobs in the house.

I can imagine you building one from billet aluminium being the king of Non ferrous

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

I can imagine you building one from billet aluminium being the king of Non ferrous

If it came fully extruded and a "how to" pamphlet I'd still swerve it. Best to know your limitations 😄 Actually working out next months prices for one of my scrap customers.

steve garwood

I bought an already assembled metal one. Easy to install and easy to transfer to another van.

Have a great extended weekend fellow windies, 3 days off in the lovely weather!

Well except for Scottish, who will be working, because I’m not sure if you’re aware, because he hasn’t mentioned it, but he’s busy don’t you know. 🤪

Pub time 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺👨🏼‍🦰 

On 28/05/2021 at 13:17, laddergarder said:

20210528_131207.jpg

its important to me to have a tidy,neat,orderly van with everything i need in its place...it makes for an easier working day....

i bought some black door cards from grippa when i got my new van and swapped out the ply lining on my back doors.....racking is not need in my van(i have all my trad gear,cloths,etc neat my side door for easy access...

Screenshot_20200214-133623_Photos.thumb.jpg.01abfe8772f9722e37b5e640309def05.jpg

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

Have you got a profile tool which makes templating the cans inner profiles so easy.

Get plenty of 25x25mm CLS batten some wood glue and drylining screws which speeds up the job in hand

Also a few sheets of cardboard help with the design template

A big washer and pencil is the best profile tool once you get it cut roughly to shape.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Dave B said:

A big washer and pencil is the best profile tool once you get it cut roughly to shape.

A man who knows how to scribe 👍

laddergarder
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave B said:

A pretty much did this  except with a small block. Then the pencil its self to trim anything that needed alittle trim. A washer sounds like a good idea though.

Edited by laddergarder
1 hour ago, laddergarder said:

A pretty much did this  except with a small block. Then the pencil its self to trim anything that needed alittle trim. A washer sounds like a good idea though.

It is as you can do it 1 handed with the pencil tip in the hole and support the wood with the other.

• Like 1
laddergarder

A little update on my diy racking. Still got a bit left to do, but it's organised enough for me to work out of for now.

20210606_120635.jpg

• Like 3

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.