Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Not good news about window cleaner

Very sad , I think this is a good reminder to all of us to be vigilant around power lines and always look before moving with the pole extended , this could happen to anyone of us . 
 a few seconds prior to starting an existing job or new customer property will potentially save your life

Spacial awareness and being mindful is key

a few seconds prior to starting an existing job or new customer property will potentially save your life

Spacial awareness and being mindful is key
Having been in the Fireservice for 34 years I have seen a few things like this and it does make you more aware , we had a training video of if memory serves me right of 8 Chinese workers  pushing a scaffold tower in a dockyard  in China it touched over head power lines and all died it was caught on the cctv , it was very gruesome viewing but done to teach us to be careful when using ladders and branches with water spray etc it has always stuck in my memory as a warning using poles I always stress this with staff the importance of looking ware the pole is going . 

Having been in the Fireservice for 34 years I have seen a few things like this and it does make you more aware , we had a training video of if memory serves me right of 8 Chinese workers  pushing a scaffold tower in a dockyard  in China it touched over head power lines and all died it was caught on the cctv , it was very gruesome viewing but done to teach us to be careful when using ladders and branches with water spray etc it has always stuck in my memory as a warning using poles I always stress this with staff the importance of looking ware the pole is going . 
I've witnessed a real HV death and it wasn't something I'll ever forget

doesnt the insulated base section on gardiner poles protect us from accidents like this?
In theory yes but if there is water on the pole and the handle probably not , a friend of mine did have an slx pole and touched power line with it it blew the section of the pole in half but he didn’t get a shock very lucky ,I wouldn’t want to put it to the test ??

The window cleaner is Daniel McFarline who leaves a wife and kids. He was my cousins window cleaner and apparently moved to a new house where the accident happened at his house. Such a shame.

I wonder if anyone who knows him has started a gofundme to assist with funeral costs or to assist his family during this awful time

From a quick Facebook search it quotes that he was using a new pole, reports say that the equipment is believed to be faulty as it was meant to prevent electrical conductivity however water running through the pole contacted the live power lines.

His friend or employee tried to help him but was also shocked and remains in hospital

From a quick Facebook search it quotes that he was using a new pole, reports say that the equipment is believed to be faulty as it was meant to prevent electrical conductivity however water running through the pole contacted the live power lines.

His friend or employee tried to help him but was also shocked and remains in hospital
So the water coming out hit the power lines ? Some houses we do that have power lines on the brickwork I don’t even spray near when we are doing the pvc cleaning 

So the water coming out hit the power lines ? Some houses we do that have power lines on the brickwork I don’t even spray near when we are doing the pvc cleaning 
From the press articles I found it says that he was cleaning windows while trying out new equipment when it accidentally contacted a live power line.

I wouldn't take the press article as fact however it mentions that the equipment used was meant to be safe and designed to prevent electric shock etc.

I'm guessing that it was a named brand wfp with insulated sections but I personally think the chap had water flowing, wet hands, wet pole and possibly damp arms for the Current to contact the pole and travel straight through the weakest link and his conductive path.

Let's no speculate but be respectful as we pause and reflect that one of us has died

Electricity can come down smoke so we were told in the fire service.
Yes HV can travel through smoke spray and steam. If there is enough density and air moisture present current can arc to ground

Yes there are many older houses and local authority properties where HV via a pole transformer is distributed to the property in 3 phase at around 500 amps plus and then stepped down via the residential wall mounted distribution unit to each property at 100 amps

So if your pole is near power lines and you have running water be very aware

This is the press source quote with regards to the new piece of equipment he was trying out

"Not sure if the item was faulty because they are meant to have something that prevents shocks"

Back