Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Gardiners charging for delivery even though spend is nearly £100


Recommended Posts

doug atkinson
2 hours ago, Poles Apart said:

Just proves what a mistake relying on Chinese imports was, with the Pandemic and the **** up decision to leave Europe we have missed an opportunity to manufactur here creating jobs and not needing to import suppliers greed is going to cost them.

In a way true but the English culture is cheaper goods rather than quality. If that way changed and people thought quality and bought British then we would be a striving economy. 
 

Take the Germans and Swiss who only like quality that is why their economy is strong.

Ebay and Amazon destroy local local businesses with fake and money laundering sellers.

China now are destroying National parks in Africa with their mining. China basically owns Africa and they now have the power on raw materials. People when they see a picture of a hunter in Africa they are up in arms but they know nothing about Africa and why that is allowed. China is destroying the environment which is more detrimental to animal environment but no one bats an eyelid.
 

It’s only going to get worse.

 

  • Agree 4
Link to post
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • dazmond

    8

  • Poles Apart

    6

  • spruce

    6

  • ksp

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They aren't the only ones to bring out their own range of jet capsules to suit their brushes. Although the jets are more expensive as an accessory, the capsule can be fitted to a brush in seconds. Thi

There are some things in our trade that work in our favour as businesses, at the moment. There are an astronomical number of houses being built. Every penny has to be physically worked for,

In a way true but the English culture is cheaper goods rather than quality. If that way changed and people thought quality and bought British then we would be a striving economy.    Take the Ge

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

It's probably going to cost us not them in the end!

I don't quite see how successive governments couldn't see a long term problem when UK manufacturing was 'moved' to China. As soon as China became the worlds shop we were in trouble. Problem now is how to get manufacturing back to UK without it them being bought by China!!!!

If you have ever tried to get things manufactured in the UK you realise why people look to China. 

We need a massive Buy British campaign. 

America stood up many years ago for the made in the USA campaign. Our country couldn't stand to diarrhoea let alone bringing back manufacturing on our home shores

The jobs it would create would be could for us all

Link to post

Maby start trading bottom windows that will save were and tare on wfp equipment save money all round then, or suck up extra cost and keep going . If you trad bottom windows you could save 50% on your wfp expensive !

Link to post
5 hours ago, doug atkinson said:

In a way true but the English culture is cheaper goods rather than quality. If that way changed and people thought quality and bought British then we would be a striving economy. 
 

Take the Germans and Swiss who only like quality that is why their economy is strong.

Ebay and Amazon destroy local local businesses with fake and money laundering sellers.

China now are destroying National parks in Africa with their mining. China basically owns Africa and they now have the power on raw materials. People when they see a picture of a hunter in Africa they are up in arms but they know nothing about Africa and why that is allowed. China is destroying the environment which is more detrimental to animal environment but no one bats an eyelid.
 

It’s only going to get worse.

 

1 agree. The English, and I have to say from experience the Irish culture (I have an Irish bloodline though I was born and reared in North London) is by and large for the short term gain, ie cheap prices.  Not for quality or national loyalty. Our manufacturing quality overall in either countries has never been anything special enough to justify loyalty. There are, or were exceptions, mainly in the very high end market : Rolls Royce, Bentley, Britool, Lister and others. But our normal every day standard has mostly been pretty mediocre so didn't really justify loyalty. Perhaps if our product quality was of the standard that Germany, Sweden, Japan and Switzerland for instance are renowned for we'd have more reason to be loyal.

I try to be loyal to British Isles manufacturing but I find it damn near impossible, for two reasons. The quality is rarely available, at any price and most goods are now produced in China at a much lower cost to the manufacturers than can be produced like for like in the UK or Ireland so UK suppliers buy in, put their own labels on and sell as UK branded. Some Chinese goods are now made to a high standard that would at present be hard to compete with even if we did finally wake up to the dire straights we're blundering further into.

Two examples :  I occasionally renew kayaking equipment that is worn. My main two suppliers are Palm UK and Peak UK. Top notch quality from both of them but I know for sure that Palm equipment is made in China.
Peak is labelled as made in the UK but I have my doubts.

I recently bought a phone holder for the van. I spent hours researching for what I thought was a good product that was not made in China. I settled on one that was advertised as Swiss made. It arrived ,with small writing ; made in China. I used to try to be loyal to British car makers. I had Commer and Morris vans. Vauxhall, Hillman and Leyland cars. Would they start? Would they get you there and back?
How long till you could look through the growing rust holes in the floor or sills to the road underneath? It used to be said that if you wanted to keep a Jag on the road you needed two. My son has a 4 litre S Type. If it goes two or three months without a visit to the garage it's a miracle. Seems things haven't changed much. I had a Land Rover County. That was similar, loads of character but never long between something needed fixing.

I got rid of Landy and bought a Hilux pick up (Japanese of course). What a revelation, very rarely went near a garage except for fuel. Wife and I now only drive German: BMW M Sport in her case. Merc Vito x 2 in my case. All three vehicles are well over ten years old. Again rarely visit a garage except for fuel.  It gauls me to buy from countries that were and in the case of Germany still are our enemies. I would love to buy British but loyalty has to be a two way street. Supply us with decent quality British made goods at a fair price.

However, too late now. Our manufacturing is a shadow and other countries have reaped the benefits.

A last word from me on the subject of Brexit as it has been mentioned as being a bad idea. We should never have let Europe take charge of our independence and destiny. We have one national government that is accountable to us, good bad or indifferent. They can be voted in. They can be voted out and they have a duty of national loyalty to us. They are accountable to being audited for where our tax is spent, squandered, fiddled or wasted. One government is enough to finance and our government is answerable to us. One government should be enough to run any country.

The EU has several government type bodies : The European Parliament, The European Council, The European Commission, The European Court of Justice, that I know of. None of these has a national loyalty to us. None of these, as far as I know is accountable to financial scrutiny or auditing. Can you imagine!?

They are all financed by the tax paying public who has no say in the matter. None of these, as far as I'm able to ascertain is elected by the normal democratic process. None of these to my knowledge can be removed and replaced on the say of the general public.

Europe has never been our friends except for when our young people's blood was being spilt to rescue them in times of war. "Divorce!" We've been at war with one or other of the buggers for most of our history. Their behaviour and vindictiveness towards the country that saved them from anhialation in two world wars has been clearly shown in the wake of the Brexit vote and has only reinforced my views.

Edited by Davy G
  • Agree 2
Link to post
steve garwood
2 minutes ago, Davy G said:

1 agree. The English, and I have to say from experience the Irish culture (I have an Irish bloodline though I was born and reared in North London) is by and large for the short term gain, ie cheap prices.  Not for quality or national loyalty. Our manufacturing quality overall in either countries has never been anything special enough to justify loyalty. There are, or were exceptions, mainly in the very high end market : Rolls Royce, Bentley, Britool, Lister and others. But our normal every day standard has mostly been pretty mediocre so didn't really justify loyalty. Perhaps if our product quality was of the standard that Germany, Sweden, Japan and Switzerland for instance are renowned for we'd have more reason to be loyal.

I try to be loyal to British Isles manufacturing but I find it damn near impossible, for two reasons. The quality is rarely available, at any price and most goods are now produced in China at a much lower cost to the manufacturers than can be produced like for like in the UK or Ireland so UK suppliers buy in, put their own labels on and sell as UK branded. Some Chinese goods are now made to a high standard that would at present be hard to compete with if we did finally wake up to the dire straights we're blundering further into.

Two examples :  I occasionally renew kayaking equipment that is worn. My main two suppliers are Palm UK and Peak UK. Top notch quality from both of them but I know for sure that Palm equipment is made in China.
Peak is labelled as made in the UK but I have my doubts.

I recently bought a phone holder for the van. I spent hours researching for what I thought was a good product that was not made in China. I settled on one that was advertised as Swiss made. It arrived ,with small writing ; made in China. I used to try to be loyal to British car makers. I had Commer and Morris vans. Vauxhall, Hillman and Leyland cars. Would they start? Would they get you there and back?
How long till you could look through the growing rust holes in the floor or sills to the road underneath? It used to be said that if you wanted to keep a Jag on the road you needed two. My son has a 4 litre S Type. If it goes two or three months without a visit to the garage it's a miracle. Seems things haven't changed much. I had a Land Rover County. That was similar, loads of character but never long between something needed fixing.

I got rid of Landy and bought a Hilux pick up (Japanese of course). What a revelation, very rarely went near a garage except for fuel. Wife and I now only drive German: BMW M Sport in her case. Merc Vito x 2 in my case. All three vehicles are well over ten years old. Again rarely visit a garage except for fuel.  It gauls me to buy from countries that were and in the case of Germany still are our enemies. I would love to buy British but loyalty has to be a two way street. Supply us with decent quality British made goods at a fair price.

However, too late now. Our manufacturing is a shadow and other countries have reaped the benefits.

A last word from me on the subject of Brexit as it has been mentioned as being a bad idea. We should never have let Europe take charge of our independence and destiny. We have one national government that is accountable to us, good bad or indifferent. They can be voted in. They can be voted out and they have a duty of national loyalty to us. They are accountable to being audited for where our tax is spent, squandered, fiddled or wasted. One government is enough to finance and our government is answerable to us. One government should be enough to run any country.

The EU has several government type bodies : The European Parliament, The European Council, The European Commission, The European Court of Justice, that I know of. None of these has a national loyalty to us. None of these, as far as I know is accountable to financial scrutiny or auditing. Can you imagine!?

They are all financed by the tax paying public who has no say in the matter. None of these, as far as I'm able to ascertain is elected by the normal democratic process. None of these to my knowledge can be removed and replaced on the say of the general public.

Europe has never been our friends except for when our young people's blood was being spilt to rescue them in times of war. "Divorce!" We've been at war with one or other of the buggers for most of our history. Their behaviour and vindictiveness towards the country that saved them from anhialation in two world wars has been clearly shown in the wake of the Brexit vote and has only reinforced my views.

 Next time I have a week off I shall read this 🥴

  • Haha 3
Link to post
2 minutes ago, steve garwood said:

 Next time I have a week off I shall read this 🥴

 I wouldn't. I think it might be over your head. 😁

Link to post
23 hours ago, ksp said:

There’s no doubt window cleaning is a luxury. If the **** hits the fan, we are the first to go and could all suffer some real hardship. I reckon I had around 10 customers that lost their job during the last year and quite rationally some of them stopped the cleans. 

It’s interesting to hear you’re already noticing a difference in prices. I’ve not spoken to anyone who’s said that yet. As you say, window cleaners are becoming ubiquitous and I think it’s inevitable it’s going to lead to lower prices. 

I’m sure I said this before but the trades are to be cyclical. You get to the age where you want a trade and are told there’s a shortage in plumbers, over the next few years you have an influx of newly trained plumbers that’s come at the expense of brickies . So then everyone trains to be a bricky at the cost of sparkies etc. 
 

With window cleaning, there’s no buy-in in terms of qualifications and the investment time. People can just jump in and do it. It’s almost surprising it hasn’t happened sooner. 

I can't say that exactly. But what I believe is that in our area, a customer's perception of the price of a window clean generally has stalled. If they were paying £5 some 20 years ago then some still believe that £5 is a fair price today. Unfortunately in our neck of the woods £9 will probably get you a nod for a 3 bed semi but £10 is the tipping point in a lot of the areas we work.

We have a business operating close by that is still advertising a £6 front and back clean every 2 weeks wfp. The only good thing is they have a very poor reputation. The not so good thing is that the 2 week interval might end up being 4 weeks when the weather is bad.

About 3 years we had a window cleaner leaflet a street we do. We charge £15 for each house which has 3 floors (ground, first & top floors.) His price was £8 which he included the garage doors as well. He went bust and went back to being employed. He's gone but the stink of his pricing still remains. He took a few customer's of mine away due to pricing, but it didn't impact on my business much - those customers were quickly replaced.

I've had the odd customer tell me they have had a more competitive window clean price and would I beat it or at least match it. No. I've found that most customer's who cancel us never tell us the truth as to why they are cancelling our service. Later on we will come across a newbie cleaning the house with a backpack out of the boot of his car;  seen a couple of times and then never again.

It's the nature of the game. It doesn't only happen with window cleaning; carpet cleaning is cut-throat here as well. There are to many carpet cleaners chasing too few jobs.

 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, spruce said:

I can't say that exactly. But what I believe is that in our area, a customer's perception of the price of a window clean generally has stalled. If they were paying £5 some 20 years ago then some still believe that £5 is a fair price today. Unfortunately in our neck of the woods £9 will probably get you a nod for a 3 bed semi but £10 is the tipping point in a lot of the areas we work.

We have a business operating close by that is still advertising a £6 front and back clean every 2 weeks wfp. The only good thing is they have a very poor reputation. The not so good thing is that the 2 week interval might end up being 4 weeks when the weather is bad.

About 3 years we had a window cleaner leaflet a street we do. We charge £15 for each house which has 3 floors (ground, first & top floors.) His price was £8 which he included the garage doors as well. He went bust and went back to being employed. He's gone but the stink of his pricing still remains. He took a few customer's of mine away due to pricing, but it didn't impact on my business much - those customers were quickly replaced.

I've had the odd customer tell me they have had a more competitive window clean price and would I beat it or at least match it. No. I've found that most customer's who cancel us never tell us the truth as to why they are cancelling our service. Later on we will come across a newbie cleaning the house with a backpack out of the boot of his car;  seen a couple of times and then never again.

It's the nature of the game. It doesn't only happen with window cleaning; carpet cleaning is cut-throat here as well. There are to many carpet cleaners chasing too few jobs.

 

There is more of that type starting around here as well. A few months ago I had someone message my Facebook page saying he delivers leaflets and wanted to know if I would use his services. He messaged twice and I wasn’t interested.

 

A few weeks ago I saw the same guy post on a local Facebook page that he has a small window cleaning round and wanted to know if anyone could use his services. A few people messaged about prices and his was £10 for a house, £8 for a flat. I start at £25 for a first clean. 
 

Maybe I’m wrong - it would certainly seem the guys in the 90s were wide of the mark - but I see it coming and if people plan for that eventuality now, they will be in a better place if it ever does transpire. 

Link to post
scottish cleaning service
1 hour ago, spruce said:

There’s no doubt window cleaning is a luxury. If the **** hits the fan, we are the first to go and could all suffer some real hardship. I reckon I had around 10 customers that lost their job during the last year and quite rationally some of them stopped the cleans. 

I believe window cleaning now is a necessary. With house prices continuing to rise folk realise its an asset that needs maintenance. It is also a reflection on what type of person you are. I begun advertising on Checkatrade and now I'm getting repeat business for gutter clears and pvc cleans.

Link to post

we had a hol in china few yrs back i was suprised that they all use English alphabet labelled keys on the lappy . that means they need to know  A means #  . i wanted them to have a weird rugby ball shape keyboard with 100s of characters.  Another thing i realized how cruel and ruthless they are,frequently saw cat? skins drying pegged out on boards on sidestreets . had a donkey kebab which was nice ,slices of moth pupae looked bad but ok taste . Hubby got ill after eating wafer thin raw meat from a bowl turns out if hed waited 5 minutes they were going to cook it for him at the table .

  • Haha 3
Link to post
On 09/06/2021 at 16:44, Poles Apart said:

 The Website doesn't get me work but I have an ad in a book that gets delivered through doors they stipulate you must have a website, also I have links to pricing on it and a link to Go Cardless I don't really want to move it and start again I'm just hoping the high price increases don't become an annual event.

If they do become an annual event then you have to do the same with your prices.

Link to post
17 minutes ago, karenD said:

we had a hol in china few yrs back i was suprised that they all use English alphabet labelled keys on the lappy . that means they need to know  A means #  . i wanted them to have a weird rugby ball shape keyboard with 100s of characters.  Another thing i realized how cruel and ruthless they are,frequently saw cat? skins drying pegged out on boards on sidestreets . had a donkey kebab which was nice ,slices of moth pupae looked bad but ok taste . Hubby got ill after eating wafer thin raw meat from a bowl turns out if hed waited 5 minutes they were going to cook it for him at the table .

i rather go to greece any day karen.....the food and wine is a lot better!and the greeks are such nice genuine people....love it.....

Link to post

following year we were in russia and i was put off folk picked their teeth across the dinner table /dug at ears at breakfast time not embarrased one tiny bit .  Hubby wanted to go on a moose hunt after seeing a docu on breakfast tv but instead got a tour round a relatively famous local cow shed  . Different cultures ! Apparently back in the Soviet day you were given a job after leaving school and there you Stayed. if you quit you just started starving to death nobody lay in bed 

Link to post
14 minutes ago, karenD said:

following year we were in russia and i was put off folk picked their teeth across the dinner table /dug at ears at breakfast time not embarrased one tiny bit .  Hubby wanted to go on a moose hunt after seeing a docu on breakfast tv but instead got a tour round a relatively famous local cow shed  . Different cultures ! Apparently back in the Soviet day you were given a job after leaving school and there you Stayed. if you quit you just started starving to death nobody lay in bed 

russians and ukrainians are like gargoyles(the men anyway!)and stare right through you....rude,arrogant and chips on both shoulders!ive met a few in egypt over the years...it was absolutely shameful the way they treated the egyptians while i was there...really embarrassing...the women are something else though!most of them are sexy and a bit slutty....i had to wear wrap around shades as i didnt where to look!

Link to post
steve garwood
3 minutes ago, dazmond said:

russians and ukrainians are like gargoyles(the men anyway!)and stare right through you....rude,arrogant and chips on both shoulders!ive met a few in egypt over the years...it was absolutely shameful the way they treated the egyptians while i was there...really embarrassing...the women are something else though!most of them are sexy and a bit slutty....i had to wear wrap around shades as i didnt where to look!

Those blokes wouldn’t of minded probably 🤔

Link to post
3 hours ago, steve garwood said:

Those blokes wouldn’t of minded probably 🤔

one of the russian chaps(he looked like a mobster to me)was trying to get me to swap with my girlfriend one night(who at the time was a blue eyed nurse with more front than blackpool)...his missus was ok but no way was i doing that!

  • Haha 1
Link to post

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept