Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best WFP Backpack (not Gardiner's).

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Inked

Hi guys 

I went against my better judgement and ordered another Gardiner item.

First impressions were not good as the logo on the front was flaking off. I know this would happen over time but not something you would expect from something fresh out of the box.

Their backpack first wouldn't give the green light to say it's charged and Gardiner said to just keep using it and charge it over night and eventually the green light would start coming on.

I did this but it didn't cure the problem so they sent me a new charger and now the light comes on.

While using it the bump sounded like there was a lot of vibration so I took the plate off the bottom and the four screws that hold the pump were loose (two were loose from being over tightened).

While in there I checked all the hose clamps and they were all loose to the point I'm surprised they were not leaking.

I've also noticed that I was loosing water and it seems that the mold wasn't finished so it is seeping out of the joint.

So I've contacted them again and they want me to return it so it can be repaired.

I asked them if they could just send me the casing and I'll fix it myself so there wouldn't be any downtime (and save them the money on the return) but they said it's too difficult fo me to swap over the bits and want it returned.

Now my background is electronics and I was even a plumber so I don't think I would have any trouble swapping over the bits....lol.

Anyway, does anyone know of a good quality backpack with quality parts (I wouldn't have done the electronics the way they have) as I will just let them have this one back for a refund ?

Hi guys 

I went against my better judgement and ordered another Gardiner item.

First impressions were not good as the logo on the front was flaking off. I know this would happen over time but not something you would expect from something fresh out of the box.

Their backpack first wouldn't give the green light to say it's charged and Gardiner said to just keep using it and charge it over night and eventually the green light would start coming on.

I did this but it didn't cure the problem so they sent me a new charger and now the light comes on.

While using it the bump sounded like there was a lot of vibration so I took the plate off the bottom and the four screws that hold the pump were loose (two were loose from being over tightened).

While in there I checked all the hose clamps and they were all loose to the point I'm surprised they were not leaking.

I've also noticed that I was loosing water and it seems that the mold wasn't finished so it is seeping out of the joint.

So I've contacted them again and they want me to return it so it can be repaired.

I asked them if they could just send me the casing and I'll fix it myself so there wouldn't be any downtime (and save them the money on the return) but they said it's too difficult fo me to swap over the bits and want it returned.

Now my background is electronics and I was even a plumber so I don't think I would have any trouble swapping over the bits....lol.

Anyway, does anyone know of a good quality backpack with quality parts (I wouldn't have done the electronics the way they have) as I will just let them have this one back for a refund ?
They are all the same

Mass produced Chinese rotomoulded bodies and low grade electronic components.

Never brought one as I build my own kit. Just still with Gardiners and rebuild one

IMO.....backpacks are for emergencies and chemical application......they were never designed to be used for 5 or 6 hours a day week in/week out.....

get yourself a tank,100 psi pump,controller,battery,reel and 100m hose...far more reliable and no wasting time filling a backpack up as well as lugging it around!

ive had 2 gardiner backpacks in 11 years wfp....the first one i gave away to a struggling fellow window cleaner to get him out of a tight spot.....the second one ive still got and its over 4 years old now!still works fine(V3)....

IMO.....backpacks are for emergencies and chemical application......they were never designed to be used for 5 or 6 hours a day week in/week out.....

get yourself a tank,100 psi pump,controller,battery,reel and 100m hose...far more reliable and no wasting time filling a backpack up as well as lugging it around!

ive had 2 gardiner backpacks in 11 years wfp....the first one i gave away to a struggling fellow window cleaner to get him out of a tight spot.....the second one ive still got and its over 4 years old now!still works fine(V3)....
Disagree with this one mate. Lad that works with me uses a Gardiner backpack on a trolly. 3 days a week, 12 days a month. Never misses a beat! 

In defence of the majority of backpack users,

they don't own a van

They don't have the money

And respectfully the knowledge to maintain a vehicle mounted system hence why so many start cheap

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess it depends on what sort of work you do.

For example I do some flats in Islington that I need to bring a ladder through the communal area and straight out of a window where it is lowered down on to a flat roof. Then I lower my pole out, reach in and grab the backpack.

Then I set up on the flat roof and get to all the windows that can't be got to from the inside or from a ladder.

There is no way they would have my hose run from the van to the flat roof so this is the best compromise...lol

There must be a good company out there making quality backpacks surly...lol

The best one I found was the maxibast one but I had to fit a flow controller and it doesn't hold enough water.

If Gardiner would have replaced the plastic shell then I would have rebuilt it using the correct connectors (electric and hose)...etc to at least make it a bit better.

The best one I found was the maxibast one but I had to fit a flow controller and it doesn't hold enough water.

If Gardiner would have replaced the plastic shell then I would have rebuilt it using the correct connectors (electric and hose)...etc to at least make it a bit better.
I would be surprised if Gardiners had spare plastic shells. I would put money on they are completely assembled (bar any fitting specked at time of order - although I think they have stopped that) in a factory in the Far East. It would just be too expensive to ship the individual components to have them assembled in UK. They do carry, what I guess is the most common parts but shells are probably a rare failure. 

I had to wait about 2 months for a Handy sack truck when it arrived the handles had been welded on at different angles, probably about 15 degrees different. I contacted the company and they sent a replacement exactly the same!!!! I guess that due to Covid normal production hasn't resumed quite as before. Seems like less QA and faster production....

I would be surprised if Gardiners had spare plastic shells. I would put money on they are completely assembled (bar any fitting specked at time of order - although I think they have stopped that) in a factory in the Far East. It would just be too expensive to ship the individual components to have them assembled in UK. They do carry, what I guess is the most common parts but shells are probably a rare failure. 

I had to wait about 2 months for a Handy sack truck when it arrived the handles had been welded on at different angles, probably about 15 degrees different. I contacted the company and they sent a replacement exactly the same!!!! I guess that due to Covid normal production hasn't resumed quite as before. Seems like less QA and faster production....
@Alex Gardiner I suppose would be the one to ask but if they are saying they want to repair it under warranty (even know it's brand new) then I'm guessing they have the parts.

@Alex Gardiner I suppose would be the one to ask but if they are saying they want to repair it under warranty (even know it's brand new) then I'm guessing they have the parts.
If it’s brand new and leaking it should be replaced not repaired , as it’s not fit for purpose.  we have have lots of there backpacks over the years and have never had a single problem with any of them all have lasted at least 3 years and we only use them for chemical applications and some strong hypo mixes , I know this invalidates the warranty but Ime happy to take a chance on that for £115 , but again never had any issues with them .

That what I would have thought but the email says that they will attempt a repair but if it cannot be fixed then they will replace it.

Whats the bigboy one like from window cleaning warehouse like?

Backpacks are great for starting off without a big initial spend. Used a backpack everyday for the first year until I got a system fitted by grippatank. Only use it now in emergencies and for access where its more practical.

Its good business sense not to overspend until you know this game is for you.

Hi Inked

It is a shame that your unit has had these issues - whilst these units are built to a price, the vast majority do not have the issues that you have experienced - even after years of use. We do indeed have these blue shells in stock along with most components for these backpacks.

As explained due to the age of the unit, the undefined nature of the leak and your other issues experienced it would be better for us to have this back and properly sort for you. I believe that the team have offered that we will collect from your house or you can drop off at MyHermes if easier for you. As with most business products supplied these units have a Return to Base warranty (see our Business to Business T&C )  - whilst we do sometimes send spares out for clients to replace, when a product is presenting with more complex or multiple issues we then require the item to be returned. Of course all costs incurred for this are reimbursed if the issue is a warranty issue.

Whilst you have listed your previous experience and I'm sure that you are very competent, you have not previously swapped one of these tanks. Despite the deceptively simple appearance of the fixing screws - they are not that simple to switch over and do not come apart when the screws are removed. Tanks have been damaged in the past when attempting to change them. We also do not know at this point what is leaking on the tank - if the leak is from underneath then it is more likely to be leaking from the outlet seal or similar as it is very rare for the tank seams to leak - if this was the case then a new tank would not solve the issue.

In order to be fully sure with your backpack and fix the issues correctly we will need the item back to us. We can then promptly resolve the issues and get it back to you for you to carry on with the work you have just bought it for.

Please let the Customer Service Team know whether you will need it collecting or whether you will need a MyHermes drop-off label.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Alex Gardiner

Thanks for the reply

I have sent in pictures of the seam where it is leaking.

The charging issue seems to have been fixed now since I'm using a different charger so it's just the leak that needs fixing.

I've also completely striped down and rebuilt backpacks in the passed so I know exactly how they are put together.

To be honest if I need to send it back to you then I would probably just let you keep it and get a refund.

@Alex Gardiner

Thanks for the reply

I have sent in pictures of the seam where it is leaking.

The charging issue seems to have been fixed now since I'm using a different charger so it's just the leak that needs fixing.

I've also completely striped down and rebuilt backpacks in the passed so I know exactly how they are put together.

To be honest if I need to send it back to you then I would probably just let you keep it and get a refund.
Thanks Inked - I have seen these pictures and confirm that this is a seam imperfection.

If you have had experience dismantling these backapcks then we can alternatively send you out a replacement tank instead of the return as previously offered.

Glad the second charger we sent has fixed the charging issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Inked - I have seen these pictures and confirm that this is a seam imperfection.

If you have had experience dismantling these backapcks then we can alternatively send you out a replacement tank instead of the return as previously offered.

Glad the second charger we sent has fixed the charging issue.
Next you will be offering him a job down in Devon. ?

Back