Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What's the best weed treatment

Tutster

Hi all just after a bit of advice on what products are the best for a soft wash weed treatment for driveways I  know sodium hypochlorite kills weeds but within a couple of weeks they start to return in abundance I understand the best way to control.is to seal the block paving but most of my customers are put off by the price of the sealants I personally think they are overpriced as well but hey ho ! Any advice would be much appreciated thank you 

Thank you for the speedy reply thank God we've left the eu then hey !!??
https://elixirgardensupplies.co.uk/product/2-litre-gallup-home-garden-glyphosate-weed-killer-free-measuring-cup-and-gloves/

It comes from this company, if you buy direct and add coupon (ELIXIR10) then you get it for less than £20 plus free delivery. I just restocked with another 5 two litre tubs. I do alot of weedkilling for my OAP customers and never have a complaint, out today doing some driveways I cleaned recently. I bought a £200 backpack sprayer that the council use so I don't go through much weedkiller. ?

https://elixirgardensupplies.co.uk/product/2-litre-gallup-home-garden-glyphosate-weed-killer-free-measuring-cup-and-gloves/

It comes from this company, if you buy direct and add coupon (ELIXIR10) then you get it for less than £20 plus free delivery. I just restocked with another 5 two litre tubs. I do alot of weedkilling for my OAP customers and never have a complaint, out today doing some driveways I cleaned recently. I bought a £200 backpack sprayer that the council use so I don't go through much weedkiller. ?
Thanks for the great advise scottish I need to invest in a decent backpack sprayer or preferably a battery powered one I've got a mini scrapyard of them most aren't fit for purpose ? what sort of dilution rate or estimated coverage does 2 litre treat please

Thanks for the great advise scottish I need to invest in a decent backpack sprayer or preferably a battery powered one I've got a mini scrapyard of them most aren't fit for purpose ? what sort of dilution rate or estimated coverage does 2 litre treat please
26mm makes a litre because its very concentrated.

https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/berthoud-vermorel-2000-knapsack-sprayer-16l.html?pcode=16644&&gclid=CjwKCAjwtpGGBhBJEiwAyRZX2p0eDEZXwEDxt9vjBXY8rbzIRxNEgpOx_WYVSWQBZRfTOjcbIaewIhoC4-EQAvD_BwE

I have this one because it has extendable lance, never missed a beat. Ditch the electric one because too much can go wrong with it, KISS.

Hi all just after a bit of advice on what products are the best for a soft wash weed treatment for driveways I  know sodium hypochlorite kills weeds but within a couple of weeks they start to return in abundance I understand the best way to control.is to seal the block paving but most of my customers are put off by the price of the sealants I personally think they are overpriced as well but hey ho ! Any advice would be much appreciated thank you 
Just so you know, sealing in itself won't stop weeds. The best you can hope for is inhibiting weed growth when the sealer stabilises (hardens) the jointing sand, But whatever sealer you use the customer needs to do some sort of onging maintenance - because if dirt accumulates on top of the sealed joints then shallow-rooted weeds will very soon start to appear by growing into the recently accumulated dirt. And they grow in to, and not up through the joints.

So sealing per se doesn't in any way guarantee no weeds

Hi, hope you find mind me hopping onto your thread, I was just wondering about this weedkiller, it mentions spreading onto leaves for best results,  but how well does it work on strimmed areas?

I've just won some commercial work ( my first, woohoo!) and it's to look after a large commercial site grounds (the place where you get tyre fitting, machine rental companies, Halfords etc) - the job is to keep the ground looking nice, currently it's a mess so I'll be strimming the whole area, kerbs etc and need to then put down weedkiller over the whole site, it's a pretty big area to walk around too but it looks like the area it covers should be fine although I'll need to buy a decent backpack...so long story short is this stuff good for spraying kerbs, gravel areas etc. I'll probably be maintaining the area every 3 weeks after the initial blitz so if it needs respraying that's how often it will be

Hi, hope you find mind me hopping onto your thread, I was just wondering about this weedkiller, it mentions spreading onto leaves for best results,  but how well does it work on strimmed areas?

I've just won some commercial work ( my first, woohoo!) and it's to look after a large commercial site grounds (the place where you get tyre fitting, machine rental companies, Halfords etc) - the job is to keep the ground looking nice, currently it's a mess so I'll be strimming the whole area, kerbs etc and need to then put down weedkiller over the whole site, it's a pretty big area to walk around too but it looks like the area it covers should be fine although I'll need to buy a decent backpack...so long story short is this stuff good for spraying kerbs, gravel areas etc. I'll probably be maintaining the area every 3 weeks after the initial blitz so if it needs respraying that's how often it will be
Generally speaking I think manufacturers recommend spraying when the weeds are "actively growing", or put another way, when most of the plant is available to spray with weed killer. This means more of the weed killer is absorbed through the leaves and works it way down to the roots - and obviously it's the roots you need to kill to stop it growing back again.

Ensuring more weed killer is absorbed should make it all the more effective.

So an alternative option for you could be to spray before strimming and give the weed killer chance to work - will make life easier for you in the long term. Glyphosate is good stuff but can take some time to be absorbed into the roots so leave it a couple of weeks. Then you'll find everything is dead and it's also excellent for deep rooted, larger weeds/ plants. Pathclear is another option if you want ongoing residual weed killing effect and lasts about 3 onths.

Weedkiller is a one hit wonder and won't stop new weed growth, sealer from my own personal experience at our last house if driveways and patios are hosed down or pw the sealer wears off overtime it's almost pointless sealing, I thought about sealing our Block paving after it got pw'd the other week as I have about 15litres in the garage, but I have seen some very messy sealing jobs were the paving must not have been 100% dry and it's dried milky, 

They say sealer can last up to 2 years personally I've found it lasted months on sandstone after 2 coats, but we did regularly maintain the paving due to where we lived with trees and shaded areas 

Thanks K, I won't have the option of spraying the weeds first, they want the site looking nice asap (customers are complaining so it's a case of strim everything in one big hit to make it look nicer then maintain it, every 3 weeks. I might just have to use the path clear stuff although there are other gravel areas which are huge and I don't think weedkiller on there is viable I'd need so much of the stuff so it might just be a case of keep it down as much as possible with the strimmer. I have a couple of photos I could post to show how bad it is ?

Also glyphosate has been linked with cancer more and more recently.

Go carefull with it.
I notice several famous brands are now advertising that they don’t  contain glyphosate I use resolva and they have stoped using it . 

Tell that to my customer who lost her husband 2 years ago and they put it down to his job using it all day.
I see the council guys using it all the time without PPE on. You have got to take care when using chemicals and wear full PPE. The statistics say that one in two will end up with cancer in UK so its probably what we are eating and breathing in. I seen it in the fire service but in the end we must be responsible for our own action or it comes back later in life.

Tell that to my customer who lost her husband 2 years ago and they put it down to his job using it all day.
I mean no offence or disrespect towards you, but who is "they"?  Was that an official finding by a pathologist or Coroner's Court or a grieving relative trying to make sense of it or wanting someone / something to blame??

As Scottish says we've all got to accept some personal responsibility and at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice, doesn't it? These types of chemicals are an option and we can choose whether or not to use them. Most, if not all chemicals that can be bought legally and easily without a licence are perfectly safe to use if you do so in accordance with the instructions, COSHH and wearing PPE.

And the fact is glyphosate really is good stuff and does the job.....and nowadays what hasn't been linked to cancer at some point? Seems like every time I pick up a paper there's a report of some study somewhere suggesting something else is bad for us - bacon, red meat, red wine, any wine etc etc. It's impossible to eradicate all risk, but a bit of common sense and individual responsibility goes a long way.

26mm makes a litre because its very concentrated.

https://www.pitchcare.com/shop/berthoud-vermorel-2000-knapsack-sprayer-16l.html?pcode=16644&&gclid=CjwKCAjwtpGGBhBJEiwAyRZX2p0eDEZXwEDxt9vjBXY8rbzIRxNEgpOx_WYVSWQBZRfTOjcbIaewIhoC4-EQAvD_BwE

I have this one because it has extendable lance, never missed a beat. Ditch the electric one because too much can go wrong with it, KISS.

I mean no offence or disrespect towards you, but who is "they"?  Was that an official finding by a pathologist or Coroner's Court or a grieving relative trying to make sense of it or wanting someone / something to blame??

As Scottish says we've all got to accept some personal responsibility and at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice, doesn't it? These types of chemicals are an option and we can choose whether or not to use them. Most, if not all chemicals that can be bought legally and easily without a licence are perfectly safe to use if you do so in accordance with the instructions, COSHH and wearing PPE.

And the fact is glyphosate really is good stuff and does the job.....and nowadays what hasn't been linked to cancer at some point? Seems like every time I pick up a paper there's a report of some study somewhere suggesting something else is bad for us - bacon, red meat, red wine, any wine etc etc. It's impossible to eradicate all risk, but a bit of common sense and individual responsibility goes a long way.
I reckon us all working with sodium hypochlorite day in day out isn't that great for our health either it's Great stuff for black spot and algae stains but as a back up for a weed killer it's just not doing much good that's why I asked the original question as I'm not convinced it's killing the weeds off but thank-you all for you're input and advice it's very much appreciated ?

Back