Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best squeegee and kit to start learning with?

ched999uk

Some may know I have been researching for the last year on wfp and started out just 2 weeks ago. I had my first request to do internals today and it got me thinking. I should probably learn to clean traditionally? I don't mean off ladders just to be able to use a squeegee and maybe a squeegee on a pole. Maybe for the odd shop front or for internals.

I have been looking around and I may be running way before I can even crawl but is the Moerman Excelerator 2.0 and Moerman Liquidator 3.0 Channel a good choice for a complete noob or should I start on something more traditional?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Some may know I have been researching for the last year on wfp and started out just 2 weeks ago. I had my first request to do internals today and it got me thinking. I should probably learn to clean traditionally? I don't mean off ladders just to be able to use a squeegee and maybe a squeegee on a pole. Maybe for the odd shop front or for internals.

I have been looking around and I may be running way before I can even crawl but is the Moerman Excelerator 2.0 and Moerman Liquidator 3.0 Channel a good choice for a complete noob or should I start on something more traditional?

Get the basic unger stuff from Screwfix it will do the job Moerman are just trying to reinvent the wheel I was trad for over 7 years and did a lot of trad helping out people I know from the age of 16 unger gear was all we used, there is a reason it's still been sold 30 years later

Cheers. The thought about learning trad came about after the custy request and the conversation I had with my girlfriend. She even suggested she might like to do internal cleans! I showed her a few vids and that hasn't put her off! 

I like the idea of the excelorator for the ability to use on pole with flick pad. 

I will do some more research. 

Cheers

As someone who has worked with Liquidators for 5 years ; don't bother with them. I bought myself an unger S plus 3 months ago; I'd forgotten how simple and consistent a squeegee should be. Even with the Liquidator I find myself detailing the frames anyway as suds get on them. Even if you go slow with it to avoid this I reckon time saved is minimal + then there's all the hassle of dragging rubber, arch lines etc because they burn out so quickly.  Taken me a while to finally pass judgement but it's an over rated tool in my opinion and I'd stick with the s plus which gives the benfits of less detailing but the consitency you need from a squeegee.

@ched999uk I’d say you can’t go too far wrong with an Unger Ergotec squeegee and t-bar/applicator. Get the ergotec squeegee handle and an s-plus channel (it has sort of dog-eared ends). For the sleeve on the t-bar I use an Unger monsoon sleeve. All the Unger tools are well made and last absolutely ages. I’ve used various squeegees and always find Unger just about the best. There was also a deal on recently for an Unger ninja box that has a small carbon traditional pole (5 foot I think), along with a ninja squeegee and t-bar and I also really like that.

stay basic and use the best,

Unger ergotec handles Splus Channels

Unger Green hard rubber for summer or hard Ettore master rubber hard

Just get the Unger black series kit. It's all you need

Personally in that situation, I would use a 10" moerman fliq on a pole. Just for simplicity and its less tools to buy/ carry. But its tricky to use.

It maybe better to learn with a 14" Unger ergotec with a s-plus channel first. This is what I use in hand, every day. (It glides better on the glass, and doesn't tear through as much rubber, it also more forgiving when it comes to skip marks). However your going to want, cloths, belt, pouches, boab, scraper, applicator, fixing clamp etc.

You will still be able to do straight pulls with that for tall internal stuff you can't reach. 

Personally in that situation, I would use a 10" moerman fliq on a pole. Just for simplicity and its less tools to buy/ carry. But its tricky to use.

It maybe better to learn with a 14" Unger ergotec with a s-plus channel first. This is what I use in hand, every day. (It glides better on the glass, and doesn't tear through as much rubber, it also more forgiving when it comes to skip marks). However your going to want, cloths, belt, pouches, boab, scraper, applicator, fixing clamp etc.

You will still be able to do straight pulls with that for tall internal stuff you can't reach. 
Cheers @laddergarder I was thinking that the fliq might be handy and the ability to have 1 squeegee handle that does everything cuts down on kit. Might buy an s-channel and green rubber in addition to moerman stuff as I saw an ae mackintosh vid where he used unger s channel in moerman Excelerator 2.0 handle.

When you say fixing clamps what do you mean? I was aware of all the others just not the clamps?

Cheers

Cheers @laddergarder I was thinking that the fliq might be handy and the ability to have 1 squeegee handle that does everything cuts down on kit. Might buy an s-channel and green rubber in addition to moerman stuff as I saw an ae mackintosh vid where he used unger s channel in moerman Excelerator 2.0 handle.

When you say fixing clamps what do you mean? I was aware of all the others just not the clamps?

Cheers
I'd personally get the unger and learn the standard techniques before investing in flippy flappy plastic, you can't go wrong with a squeegee and applicator

Cheers
I ment the unger fixi clamp, for detailing - auto correct ?

Try standard rubber first. I use unger Pro soft. I haven't tried the unger green, but moerman nxtr drags really bad.

I tried the same with a s-plus in an excelerator, but its front heavy if that makes sense. Doesn't feel right to me. The liquidator channels are very lightweight, compensating for the heavy fliq pad.

Unger ergo-tec stuff is cheap and will suit everything, we're as I really only use moerman on a pole. Its better to learn with if your new to it, and you can add a 10" fliq later.

I use Moerman, but then again I am experienced in using squeegees, even so remember I had to get used to the tool. As several have mentioned Unger would probably be better for you as a newbie with squeegees.

Cheers
If going to swap out a moerman channel I'd go with an Ettore brass. Moerman and Ettore brass is a good setup I use it daily. 

In my opinion for hand work I like the ledge ez handle and Ettore brass its great solid set up and great quality and it a cheap cost setup.

Hope this helps someone some day!

Cheers
I'd personally get the unger and learn the standard techniques before investing in flippy flappy plastic, you can't go wrong with a squeegee and applicator

If you want to hone your skills stick with a traditional bucket squeegee applicator and scrim.

Bucket on a belt in my opinion is just for holding tools

I have a great webbing setup but never walk around with a water solution filled BOAB

My back and smashed pelvis can't handle the uneven loading and weight

With respect I feel this thread is being pushed more to advance skills and equipment

KISS keep it simple stupid because your not tradding day in day out and a bucket gives your storage

Latest Posts

Back