Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Phone ringing non stop


Recommended Posts

My phone as been non stop, have been passing lots of work onto other windies.

I still go and quote the odd job but we are always under pressure and behind, seriously thinking of going down to 4 days a week, need more work/leisure balance cleaning windows day in day out is soul destroying honestly believe working 4 days will restore my will to live ??

 

Link to comment

I don’t take on any new jobs unless it really suits me. Answer phone message on mobile and message on website confirms this and I don’t waste time dealing with these issues. Works for me and is a good way of saving valuable time.

Cheers

Dabber

  • Like 2
Link to comment
40 minutes ago, Dabber said:

I don’t take on any new jobs unless it really suits me. Answer phone message on mobile and message on website confirms this and I don’t waste time dealing with these issues. Works for me and is a good way of saving valuable time.

Cheers

Dabber

Be interested to know how you manage to get this across in very few words, it would be impossible surely to be very specific,

Now I am based in County Durham I get calls and messages from across the UK had one yesterday, she says I saw your van earlier and would like a quote I asked her where she was based and she said Carlisle, now she has googled my business name found either the Google hit and or gone to my website yet despite it been very clear where I am based she still rang me because she obviously didn't bother looking properly

I have streets and estates I won't bother with at all only new jobs have to practically next door to my other jobs, I couldn't be so specific in a message, so answer calls, emails, FB, & WhatsApp turning people down on a almost daily basis 

Link to comment

I’m the same now, only taking new jobs if they are neighbours of existing customers or don’t involve me moving the van again (a couple of doors away, over the road etc) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hi

Answerphone message includes “ for any new enquiries we aren’t able to take on any new customers”. Same message on my website.  
I don’t answer my phone if I don’t recognise the number and this system works efficiently for me. 
Cheers

Dabber

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Den said:

My phone as been non stop, have been passing lots of work onto other windies.

I still go and quote the odd job but we are always under pressure and behind, seriously thinking of going down to 4 days a week, need more work/leisure balance cleaning windows day in day out is soul destroying honestly believe working 4 days will restore my will to live ??

 

Go for it. I’ve gone to four days a week and wish I’d done sooner.

Every weekend now feels like a mini holiday and I’ve noticed I have more energy now in the four days I do work. 

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Iron Giant said:

Be interested to know how you manage to get this across in very few words, it would be impossible surely to be very specific,

Now I am based in County Durham I get calls and messages from across the UK had one yesterday, she says I saw your van earlier and would like a quote I asked her where she was based and she said Carlisle, now she has googled my business name found either the Google hit and or gone to my website yet despite it been very clear where I am based she still rang me because she obviously didn't bother looking properly

I have streets and estates I won't bother with at all only new jobs have to practically next door to my other jobs, I couldn't be so specific in a message, so answer calls, emails, FB, & WhatsApp turning people down on a almost daily basis 

I don’t have a website anymore in fact We don’t advertise at all apart from my van being sign written, if I was a younger man I could have had several vans on the road but just can’t be bothered  with all the aggro with staff etc nowadays.

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, steve garwood said:

Go for it. I’ve gone to four days a week and wish I’d done sooner.

Every weekend now feels like a mini holiday and I’ve noticed I have more energy now in the four days I do work. 

Had Friday and Monday off long weekend last weekend went back Tuesday and Wednesday felt great ?

I believe Tuesday to Friday would work great for me ? just need to sort out my rounds and make the change.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Go for it. You are able to control your workload and who you communicate with. Think of what you want from your business, sometimes we can all be too eager to please others but just be firm and say no. 

Good Luck

Dabber

Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Dabber said:

Hi

Answerphone message includes “ for any new enquiries we aren’t able to take on any new customers”. Same message on my website.  
I don’t answer my phone if I don’t recognise the number and this system works efficiently for me. 
Cheers

Dabber

Sounds strange as you only take on new work if it suits you how are you supposed to take on any new jobs if it suits you if you have a very clear message of not taking on any new work ? Surely you should sack off your website

I myself have not been actively seeking any new jobs for sometime, but I still have 3-4 jobs I am going to replace with other new jobs, I do maintain an active presence on social media as this does and will yield those new enquires which are often next door to other jobs and referrals usually get in touch via FB or my site, if I had a very clear message of not taking on any new work then they would look elsewhere. 

Link to comment
39 minutes ago, Den said:

I don’t have a website anymore in fact We don’t advertise at all apart from my van being sign written, if I was a younger man I could have had several vans on the road but just can’t be bothered  with all the aggro with staff etc nowadays.

It just keeps me ahead of my competitor's and new sign ups have to sign up to GC direct debit so it facilitates that as well, maybe one day I won't need it but at 46 years old I still have some years to work yet. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Den said:

Had Friday and Monday off long weekend last weekend went back Tuesday and Wednesday felt great ?

I believe Tuesday to Friday would work great for me ? just need to sort out my rounds and make the change.

I like having Mondays off. 
Two reasons for this.

1. It’s a day most people are a bit miserable as their back to work. That’s why I like working Fridays as everyone is in a good mood.

2. Can have a good session in the pub Sunday afternoon knowing you can have a lovely lay in the next day. Something I mention every Sunday to the lads I’m drinking with that have to be up at 6 the next morning ???‍?

Link to comment

i dont have a website or facebook for my business....all new work comes from walk ups,word of mouth and recommendation....i get a steady trickle of enquiries all year round....

 

its very important to keep taking new work on IMO. no matter how many years you ve been going...

1.it keeps your round fresh and more compact

2.we all lose jobs here and there due to death/moving/cant afford it,etc

3.gives you a chance to price new jobs higher

4.you can replace/dump those less than ideal jobs 

all our rounds need constant refining to make them as profitable as possible in the shortest time frame....

 

im down to around 25 hours a week(including admin,end of day jobs,etc)but ive never earnt as much as i do these days....

i normally have a 3 day weekend too most weeks.....its great!?

 

i work much more efficiently working short days and it stops me from getting too bored of window cleaning,cuts down my risk of RSI as i age and im much happier in both my work life and home life....win,win......

Link to comment

As dazmond said you should always take new work on at higher prices or your business is going nowhere .. your going to lose jobs inevitably so they will need replacing somewhere along the line

I never advertise, never have gain around 10-20 new customers monthly on average. Gives you the opportunity to drop awkward jobs / people ! 

Link to comment

What I mean by if it suits me is if I get a walk up whilst I’m doing a neighbours house I up the price and insist that they have the same frequency as their neighbour.  It’s all about being in control of your workload and income. 
cheers

Dabber

Link to comment
1 hour ago, karenD said:

start employing if the workloads there ,we have never regretted it.  

I already do ? don’t want anymore stress TBH it’s not for me My work very compact and well priced so can cut back to 4 days ?

Link to comment

Because I advertise I get calls everyday. Some are from companies trying to sell me something or advertise for me. Others are from customers, again half are good and half are timewasters. You have to take the rough with the smooth. I'm getting repeat business now so If I don't go at the beginning then I may lose a few jobs. Work begets work and rest begets rest.

Link to comment
On 19/06/2021 at 17:18, Markyboy 50 said:

4 days a week?? I’m not doing an extra day a week for no one. 

Thought you only did 3hrs 3 days ya lazy ole sod ????????

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, HWCS said:

Thought you only did 3hrs 3 days ya lazy ole sod ????????

I do lol. There’s a wise window cleaner on the forum who earns approx £50 an hour. 3 hours a day times 3 days is 9 hours a week. I make it £450 a week. That’s enough lol 

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept