Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Phone ringing non stop

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Den

My phone as been non stop, have been passing lots of work onto other windies.

I still go and quote the odd job but we are always under pressure and behind, seriously thinking of going down to 4 days a week, need more work/leisure balance cleaning windows day in day out is soul destroying honestly believe working 4 days will restore my will to live ??

I don’t take on any new jobs unless it really suits me. Answer phone message on mobile and message on website confirms this and I don’t waste time dealing with these issues. Works for me and is a good way of saving valuable time.

Cheers

Dabber

I don’t take on any new jobs unless it really suits me. Answer phone message on mobile and message on website confirms this and I don’t waste time dealing with these issues. Works for me and is a good way of saving valuable time.

Cheers

Dabber
Be interested to know how you manage to get this across in very few words, it would be impossible surely to be very specific,

Now I am based in County Durham I get calls and messages from across the UK had one yesterday, she says I saw your van earlier and would like a quote I asked her where she was based and she said Carlisle, now she has googled my business name found either the Google hit and or gone to my website yet despite it been very clear where I am based she still rang me because she obviously didn't bother looking properly

I have streets and estates I won't bother with at all only new jobs have to practically next door to my other jobs, I couldn't be so specific in a message, so answer calls, emails, FB, & WhatsApp turning people down on a almost daily basis 

I’m the same now, only taking new jobs if they are neighbours of existing customers or don’t involve me moving the van again (a couple of doors away, over the road etc) 

Hi

Answerphone message includes “ for any new enquiries we aren’t able to take on any new customers”. Same message on my website.  
I don’t answer my phone if I don’t recognise the number and this system works efficiently for me. 
Cheers

Dabber

My phone as been non stop, have been passing lots of work onto other windies.

I still go and quote the odd job but we are always under pressure and behind, seriously thinking of going down to 4 days a week, need more work/leisure balance cleaning windows day in day out is soul destroying honestly believe working 4 days will restore my will to live ??
Go for it. I’ve gone to four days a week and wish I’d done sooner.

Every weekend now feels like a mini holiday and I’ve noticed I have more energy now in the four days I do work. 

Be interested to know how you manage to get this across in very few words, it would be impossible surely to be very specific,

Now I am based in County Durham I get calls and messages from across the UK had one yesterday, she says I saw your van earlier and would like a quote I asked her where she was based and she said Carlisle, now she has googled my business name found either the Google hit and or gone to my website yet despite it been very clear where I am based she still rang me because she obviously didn't bother looking properly

I have streets and estates I won't bother with at all only new jobs have to practically next door to my other jobs, I couldn't be so specific in a message, so answer calls, emails, FB, & WhatsApp turning people down on a almost daily basis 
I don’t have a website anymore in fact We don’t advertise at all apart from my van being sign written, if I was a younger man I could have had several vans on the road but just can’t be bothered  with all the aggro with staff etc nowadays.

Go for it. I’ve gone to four days a week and wish I’d done sooner.

Every weekend now feels like a mini holiday and I’ve noticed I have more energy now in the four days I do work. 
Had Friday and Monday off long weekend last weekend went back Tuesday and Wednesday felt great ?

I believe Tuesday to Friday would work great for me ? just need to sort out my rounds and make the change.

Go for it. You are able to control your workload and who you communicate with. Think of what you want from your business, sometimes we can all be too eager to please others but just be firm and say no. 

Good Luck

Dabber

Hi

Answerphone message includes “ for any new enquiries we aren’t able to take on any new customers”. Same message on my website.  
I don’t answer my phone if I don’t recognise the number and this system works efficiently for me. 
Cheers

Dabber
Sounds strange as you only take on new work if it suits you how are you supposed to take on any new jobs if it suits you if you have a very clear message of not taking on any new work ? Surely you should sack off your website

I myself have not been actively seeking any new jobs for sometime, but I still have 3-4 jobs I am going to replace with other new jobs, I do maintain an active presence on social media as this does and will yield those new enquires which are often next door to other jobs and referrals usually get in touch via FB or my site, if I had a very clear message of not taking on any new work then they would look elsewhere. 

I don’t have a website anymore in fact We don’t advertise at all apart from my van being sign written, if I was a younger man I could have had several vans on the road but just can’t be bothered  with all the aggro with staff etc nowadays.
It just keeps me ahead of my competitor's and new sign ups have to sign up to GC direct debit so it facilitates that as well, maybe one day I won't need it but at 46 years old I still have some years to work yet. 

Had Friday and Monday off long weekend last weekend went back Tuesday and Wednesday felt great ?

I believe Tuesday to Friday would work great for me ? just need to sort out my rounds and make the change.
I like having Mondays off. 
Two reasons for this.

1. It’s a day most people are a bit miserable as their back to work. That’s why I like working Fridays as everyone is in a good mood.

2. Can have a good session in the pub Sunday afternoon knowing you can have a lovely lay in the next day. Something I mention every Sunday to the lads I’m drinking with that have to be up at 6 the next morning ???‍?

i dont have a website or facebook for my business....all new work comes from walk ups,word of mouth and recommendation....i get a steady trickle of enquiries all year round....

its very important to keep taking new work on IMO. no matter how many years you ve been going...

1.it keeps your round fresh and more compact

2.we all lose jobs here and there due to death/moving/cant afford it,etc

3.gives you a chance to price new jobs higher

4.you can replace/dump those less than ideal jobs 

all our rounds need constant refining to make them as profitable as possible in the shortest time frame....

im down to around 25 hours a week(including admin,end of day jobs,etc)but ive never earnt as much as i do these days....

i normally have a 3 day weekend too most weeks.....its great!?

i work much more efficiently working short days and it stops me from getting too bored of window cleaning,cuts down my risk of RSI as i age and im much happier in both my work life and home life....win,win......

As dazmond said you should always take new work on at higher prices or your business is going nowhere .. your going to lose jobs inevitably so they will need replacing somewhere along the line

I never advertise, never have gain around 10-20 new customers monthly on average. Gives you the opportunity to drop awkward jobs / people ! 

What I mean by if it suits me is if I get a walk up whilst I’m doing a neighbours house I up the price and insist that they have the same frequency as their neighbour.  It’s all about being in control of your workload and income. 
cheers

Dabber

start employing if the workloads there ,we have never regretted it.  
I already do ? don’t want anymore stress TBH it’s not for me My work very compact and well priced so can cut back to 4 days ?

Because I advertise I get calls everyday. Some are from companies trying to sell me something or advertise for me. Others are from customers, again half are good and half are timewasters. You have to take the rough with the smooth. I'm getting repeat business now so If I don't go at the beginning then I may lose a few jobs. Work begets work and rest begets rest.

Back