Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning scrims

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Throw them in the washing machine, no soap. If you can be ars*d give them a wet hand rinse prior to the machine. You will be surprised how much soap residue  they contain when the cycle is finished and you open the door.

When I used to trad ,I only ever used a damp scrim to polish the glass so they were washed plenty of times in a day in a bucket of warm water, never used a washing machine.  Do you use your scrims dry ?when I trad my shops today I still use a damp scrim

I've heard the 'damp scrim' from old timers, but I feel it leaves smears, so always use a dry scrim.

Many years ago, it has been a while since I washed mine, and through them in the washing machine. There was so much soap in the scrims, it flooded the machine, kitchen, and the soap flood ran under our cooker, and shorted something. We had to get an electrician out. ?

So I hand wash mine in the bath every now and then.

I've heard the 'damp scrim' from old timers, but I feel it leaves smears, so always use a dry scrim.

Many years ago, it has been a while since I washed mine, and through them in the washing machine. There was so much soap in the scrims, it flooded the machine, kitchen, and the soap flood ran under our cooker, and shorted something. We had to get an electrician out. ?

So I hand wash mine in the bath every now and then.
I only ever use dry scrims also 

When I was trad, I'd use wet n dry scrims for leaded, frosted and small windows. The wet was really just a damp scrim to clean it and a dry scrim to polish it. You need a dry scrim to wipe around though. It's much harder to detail with a damp scrim imo.

Nowadays, I rarely use scrims but I still do for Georgian insides. A spray of pure from a misting bottle on the glass and rub with one side of a folded scrim them polish with the dry side. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was trad, I'd use wet n dry scrims for leaded, frosted and small windows. The wet was really just a damp scrim to clean it and a dry scrim to polish it. You need a dry scrim to wipe around though. It's much harder to detail with a damp scrim imo.

Nowadays, I rarely use scrims but I still do for Georgian insides. A spray of pure from a misting bottle on the glass and rub with one side of a folded scrim them polish with the dry side. 
I dont like it really, but I still do this method for a couple of old cottages I do. Tried mop and blade and wasn't really any quicker for me. certainly a good work out but feel it nowdays.

People still using scrims ?

Microfibres all the way these days,last forever and never leave lint like the scrims did.

I found some old scrims in the back of the van and they looked like Rab C Nesbitts string vest.

Years ago you would still see the odd shiner cleaning with the wet and dry scrim and cursing the squeeguee and modern life overtaking them,they always had one arm more muscular than the other too.

Luddites. 

Remember you would pay extra for pre washed ones as at least you could fold them in half and never had to boil them up in a pot on the cooker yourself just to break them in.

I used to grudge buying new scrim and still kept the old ones for when I ran out of fresh ones in the van,they were really no more use than a ball of string but they were all we had back then.

Don't  get me started on Chamois ?

Microfibres all the way these days,last forever and never leave lint like the scrims did.

I found some old scrims in the back of the van and they looked like Rab C Nesbitts string vest.

Years ago you would still see the odd shiner cleaning with the wet and dry scrim and cursing the squeeguee and modern life overtaking them,they always had one arm more muscular than the other too.

Luddites. 

Remember you would pay extra for pre washed ones as at least you could fold them in half and never had to boil them up in a pot on the cooker yourself just to break them in.

I used to grudge buying new scrim and still kept the old ones for when I ran out of fresh ones in the van,they were really no more use than a ball of string but they were all we had back then.

You can't beat scrims,

I use them daily and have around 40

I have and tried the Unger microfibre green thing and thought is was a gimmick so it's now in my glove box as a general demisting cloth for the windscreen 

Luddites. 

Nah, tried microfibre but wasn't as good as the scrim, not for what I use them for anyway. Only few jobs a month, small panes, damp scrim and dry scrim. 

Scrims all day For detailing, microfibres for polishing though as always lint on windows from scrims 

Personally I use a damp scrim followed my micro fibre on the very rare occasion I have to trad a leaded window 

microfibres get too wet too fast detailing and end up smearing way faster than scrims 

Back