Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Does anybody employ their own leafleter/canvasser?


Recommended Posts

Does anybody on here employ their own canvasser or leafletters?

Im thinking about doing this but not sure if its the right way to go.

 

Does anybody have experiences with this kind of thing? Would be great to hear some feedback on your views

Link to comment

I’d personally do it my self. You can pick the houses etc.

Canvassing isn’t that bad once you start, it’s almost fun.

Plus your saving money too.

Sorry I know that’s not what you asked.?

 

Link to comment
3 hours ago, LongRoad said:

Does anybody on here employ their own canvasser or leafletters?

Im thinking about doing this but not sure if its the right way to go.

 

Does anybody have experiences with this kind of thing? Would be great to hear some feedback on your views

It's a grey area in my opinion as someone doing this on your behalf may not be in the position to represent your business if stopped and questioned by an interested potential customer.

Your values, reputation & name could be tarnished by someone delivering your leaflets or not delivering the amount you've supplied and claim a fee whilst dumping them in a bin.

 

The way I see it is, it's your business and you should ideally be the face of your company

Employing someone is changing from sole trader and a whole minefield of expense ie pension, wages etc.

 

That's my mere tuppence worth of option

Edited by Apw1210
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment

If you are working to really expand your business I think having a full time canvasser employed would be a great asset. When I've used the various canvassing companies I am always astounded how quickly they can drum up work, £500 in half a day between 2 of them. If you had somebody on full time I think you might have a hard time keeping up with them!

Link to comment
3 hours ago, High-tower said:

If you are working to really expand your business I think having a full time canvasser employed would be a great asset. When I've used the various canvassing companies I am always astounded how quickly they can drum up work, £500 in half a day between 2 of them. If you had somebody on full time I think you might have a hard time keeping up with them!

That sounds good going. I'd be very happy if I had a canvasser that could do that and would be very worthwhile. How much of that work did you retain?

Link to comment
9 hours ago, Apw1210 said:

It's a grey area in my opinion as someone doing this on your behalf may not be in the position to represent your business if stopped and questioned by an interested potential customer.

Your values, reputation & name could be tarnished by someone delivering your leaflets or not delivering the amount you've supplied and claim a fee whilst dumping them in a bin.

 

The way I see it is, it's your business and you should ideally be the face of your company

Employing someone is changing from sole trader and a whole minefield of expense ie pension, wages etc.

 

That's my mere tuppence worth of option

I know what you mean. I'm extremely picky when it comes to staff, can't afford not to be. If I were to take on a canvasser full time he would know everything inside out before being out on his own. Generally we go by a persons nature, work ethic and attitude when taking on employees which makes me confident if I were to go down this route the person would be doing his job properly.

Tax, pensions etc isnt a problem

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, LongRoad said:

I know what you mean. I'm extremely picky when it comes to staff, can't afford not to be. If I were to take on a canvasser full time he would know everything inside out before being out on his own. Generally we go by a persons nature, work ethic and attitude when taking on employees which makes me confident if I were to go down this route the person would be doing his job properly.

Tax, pensions etc isnt a problem


my earlier answer was based on the assumption that you was just starting out. 
 If your already well established and have employees already, and just want to expand further then a canvasser might be worth a shot, as long as he/she knows their stuff and can price properly. Then you can then get on with other stuff ??

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Jaygti said:


my earlier answer was based on the assumption that you was just starting out. 
 If your already well established and have employees already, and just want to expand further then a canvasser might be worth a shot, as long as he/she knows their stuff and can price properly. Then you can then get on with other stuff ??

Sorry mate, to be honest its probably my fault, reading what i posted originally I can now see I was quite vague and didn't say situation or how things are running. 

Its exactly that, I'm just looking for a big push, currently gaining average 55-60 customers a week and would like to push this a bit more. Admittedly I bin around 1/3 of those customers that are scrap/headaches but the remaining I keep and theyre decent regulars.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
12 hours ago, LongRoad said:

That sounds good going. I'd be very happy if I had a canvasser that could do that and would be very worthwhile. How much of that work did you retain?

I would usually expect to lose/dump about 50% long term. It can work out an expensive way of gaining customers if you’re paying a canvassing firm.
I find it valuable for getting a foothold in a new area, as you immediately have work in the area meaning it’s worthwhile taking on others.

I’d be interested to know what the going rate for employing a canvasser would be?

 

about £800 a week according to indeed, loads of window cleaning companies advertising for a canvasser. All offer commission, and several are ‘self-employed’ roles. 

Edited by High-tower
Link to comment

Slightly off topic, but I got this text message from someone the other day - "Hi I'm a door canvasser who is looking for a window cleaner that needs/wants more customers. I charge 2x any regular work I get you. Interested?" 

I didn't understand his charges. I wasn't actually interested, but I was curious, so I replied, "You charge how much??" He just repeated himself without clarification so I just left it at that. 

Link to comment
21 minutes ago, Armistead Cleaning said:

Slightly off topic, but I got this text message from someone the other day - "Hi I'm a door canvasser who is looking for a window cleaner that needs/wants more customers. I charge 2x any regular work I get you. Interested?" 

I didn't understand his charges. I wasn't actually interested, but I was curious, so I replied, "You charge how much??" He just repeated himself without clarification so I just left it at that. 

If he gets you a job that pays £20 a wash he wants £40 for finding it for you. Not a bad price depending on the quality of work he gets you. I would also stipulate that he doesn't get paid until you've done 4 or so washes.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Part Timer said:

 I would also stipulate that he doesn't get paid until you've done 4 or so washes.

Hahahaha! As if! 
How would you react if a customer said that to you?! 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, High-tower said:

Hahahaha! As if! 
How would you react if a customer said that to you?! 

I wouldn't be forking out for 2 washes to a random stranger. If after a while he proved himself to me then I wouldn't have a problem in paying upfront.

I do work for new customers where I don't get paid for over 45 days from completion, and will be out for 2 washes by the time I'm paid for the first wash. I've also incurred significantly higher costs then he has in doing so.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, High-tower said:

I would usually expect to lose/dump about 50% long term. It can work out an expensive way of gaining customers if you’re paying a canvassing firm.
I find it valuable for getting a foothold in a new area, as you immediately have work in the area meaning it’s worthwhile taking on others.

I’d be interested to know what the going rate for employing a canvasser would be?

 

about £800 a week according to indeed, loads of window cleaning companies advertising for a canvasser. All offer commission, and several are ‘self-employed’ roles. 

Yes i think around 50% in drop offs too. I had a look on indeed and saw between £500-£800, im not looking at it on a self employed basis, or hiring a canvassing firm, i would want to employ them directly in-house.

I've thought about pay, and think something aroumd £400 per week base rate and then commission based on sign ups.

The thing I'm not sure of is the kind of numbers that would be generated on average per week, but this is what I need an idea of.

Link to comment

No, cannot see the point from a sole trader point of view. If you have multiple vans then I presume you will constantly need new work generated to offset lost  customers....and a good salesman or canvasser in any profession is a good asset to have.

Link to comment
8 hours ago, LongRoad said:

Yes i think around 50% in drop offs too. I had a look on indeed and saw between £500-£800, im not looking at it on a self employed basis, or hiring a canvassing firm, i would want to employ them directly in-house.

I've thought about pay, and think something aroumd £400 per week base rate and then commission based on sign ups.

The thing I'm not sure of is the kind of numbers that would be generated on average per week, but this is what I need an idea of.

I’ve used several canvassing firms over the years, buying £500 maybe 6 times.
I live and work in a fairly saturated area. They would usually send 2 guys and they’d generate about £600+ or about 40 customers in a short day, winter&summer
So 20 per person per day.
I bet 2 an hour could be a reasonable average in built up areas. There is a lot of variables though, depending on the area, your pricing, competition etc.
 

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
On 22/06/2021 at 08:21, High-tower said:

I would usually expect to lose/dump about 50% long term. It can work out an expensive way of gaining customers if you’re paying a canvassing firm.
I find it valuable for getting a foothold in a new area, as you immediately have work in the area meaning it’s worthwhile taking on others.

I’d be interested to know what the going rate for employing a canvasser would be?

 

about £800 a week according to indeed, loads of window cleaning companies advertising for a canvasser. All offer commission, and several are ‘self-employed’ roles. 

Do you mind telling me who you use? I used a company before Xmas and they were rubbish, found out they used a canvasser themselves and thought it was easy and simply tried to copy them. They had no idea. 
I almost used kingdom canvassers and I had a few people warning me of them because of conning people too.

im kind of apprehensive about getting another firm but I do need one. 

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept