Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Pure freedom reel failure!!!!

Oh dear the new reel masters didn’t last long , last Thursday I had a drip from one of the reels but didn’t have time to look at it and it was only a drip so not urgent , however today Big Bang steam and hot water everywhere, took the hose off and this is what I found . Phoned pure freedom who were very Helpful and the reel is hopefully being collected tomorrow, it looks like the centre spindle has has a fracture for a while and today completely broke off , don’t expect something like with this type of reel , will see what they gave to say when they get it back ????

621DC483-3067-48E9-BC7F-65BE35E4E05E.jpeg

F35B8B39-03B8-4557-AFFF-B5C18C75A175.jpeg

0AD8BBEB-4CAC-47DB-8EF9-66956B87BC8F.jpeg

06A744E7-28BF-439C-B2B9-AB301513F374.jpeg

02BBD1C7-D40A-4905-A4D0-28276E5F6217.jpeg

0BBD8F2D-31B3-4F7A-B36C-11B713B98925.jpeg

6230CC82-3F62-4665-AB18-D2BAC48D4190.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Roll Eyes 1
5 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Oh dear the new reel masters didn’t last long , last Thursday I had a drip from one of the reels but didn’t have time to look at it and it was only a drip so not urgent , however today Big Bang steam and hot water everywhere, took the hose off and this is what I found . Phoned pure freedom who were very Helpful and the reel is hopefully being collected tomorrow, it looks like the centre spindle has has a fracture for a while and today completely broke off , don’t expect something like with this type of reel , will see what they gave to say when they get it back ????

I was think maybe getting a reel master but the bulky size is putting me off.

as you know I have the power up hd and 3D but I’m also considering getting the new rapido as the physical size of the reel is quite like the hd and what I have read it’s belt driven which I prefer to chain.  

@Pjj are you sure at this point you're not cursed or something? ?

• Haha 3

someone has put a curse on you for sure......?

i dont get how its got fractured?what is it made out of?

55 minutes ago, Pjj said:

That's shocking mate. Good job it didn't squirt your magic '"hot water" over someone who then tries to claim for burns etc

What's the centre manifold made from?

1 minute ago, Apw1210 said:

That's shocking mate. Good job it didn't squirt your magic '"hot water" over someone who then tries to claim for burns etc

What's the centre manifold made from?

you wouldnt expect this as the reelmasters seem bulletproof and are very heavy and normally a solid piece of equipment.....

49 minutes ago, Master Jedi Alejandro said:

@Pjj are you sure at this point you're not cursed or something? ?

The only reels I have had no problem with is the 3 D water works they are fine since the centres have been changed to alloy !!!!???

19 minutes ago, dazmond said:

someone has put a curse on you for sure......?

i dont get how its got fractured?what is it made out of?

Looks like brass or bronze 

My Grippatank reels are still going strong but they are stainless steel and they fitted new stronger motors in them. Wouldn't be without them, the time and energy they save is unreal.

I don't understand how that snapped, that wouldn't be under any strain. It does look like it has been fractured for a while, probably before construction, but brass shouldn't be affected that much by hot water

• Agree 2

I wonder if it became work hardend during its production process

Generally a very stable material and great for a range of temperatures such as marine use in manifolds and heat exchanger cores

5 minutes ago, Apw1210 said:

I wonder if it became work hardend during its production process

Generally a very stable material and great for a range of temperatures such as marine use in manifolds and heat exchanger cores

If it's a Chinese casting the copper content is circa 55% - 45% copper and zinc when it should be 60% copper and 40% Zinc. This would make it a lot more brittle and more prone to fracture.

1 minute ago, Part Timer said:

If it's a Chinese casting the copper content is circa 55% - 45% copper and zinc when it should be 60% copper and 40% Zinc. This would make it a lot more brittle and more prone to fracture.

Most likely low quality Chinesium

Looking at the dark patches on the fracture I would guess it had a weakness in the material! Not good though. 

• Agree 2
5 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

Looking at the dark patches on the fracture I would guess it had a weakness in the material! Not good though. 

But that shouldn't be put down as a problem with the reel. PF can't exactly x-ray every casting they use, it's the @Pjj electric reel curse 

24 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

But that shouldn't be put down as a problem with the reel. PF can't exactly x-ray every casting they use, it's the @Pjj electric reel curse 

Maybe his nuclear reactor super heated water he loves to tell the world of has cooked it's molecular structure and pushed the atoms out of this world ???

• Haha 3
55 minutes ago, ched999uk said:

That’s exactly what I thought I think it was originally over tightened and had fracture cracks then the SUPER HEATED WATER caused a total failure ???? , on a serious note I think that’s whats happened hot cold hot cold all the time has made it expand and contract causing it to fail , they did say they have never experienced it before !!!!!! That’s just my luck ????

2 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Funny you say this as the centre spindles did come from China as pf told me they were waiting for them to arrive and that’s why it took so long to get the reels in the first place as the factories in China were shut due to Covid . 

2 hours ago, scottish cleaning service said:

My Grippatank reels are still going strong but they are stainless steel and they fitted new stronger motors in them. Wouldn't be without them, the time and energy they save is unreal.

Mine didn’t last though ????

31 minutes ago, Pjj said:

Mine didn’t last though ????

You should have bought the stainless steel ones. ?

3 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

You should have bought the stainless steel ones. ?

I did !!!!!!

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.