Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

securing tank frame

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Neil Ry

Hi all , 

Having a vauxhall combo , with false floor ,

could it be possible to weld the base of the frame to the floor,  instead of cutting out the floor to attach spreading plates ,

or would it not be safe to do so ? just looking at all options 

Cheers for any advice given 

Hi all , 

could it be possible to weld the base of the frame to the floor,  instead of cutting out the floor to attach spreading plates ,

What other options are you looking at?

I'm not actually sure what you mean when you say your van has a false floor.

Most small 'car derived' vans are built on the same floorpan as the people carrier version. There is a sheet of metal covering the rear footwells in the van. This is used to create a flat floor. I don't know exactly how Vauxhall's design is, but this false floor is in the Transit Connect, the Berlingo/Partner and my old Suzuki Carry van.

I have fitted 3 x 500 litre tanks to a Berlingo, a Partner and a Transit Connect. In all 3 cases the tank fitted just behind the bulkhead. My decision was that in the case of a front impact the most important securing bolts and spreader plate arrangement would need to be at the rear of the tank, those closest to the rear axle. In all three cases there was access to the footwell cover plates through small access holes in the support for the false floor directly behind the driver's and passenger seats. With both my son's Berlingo and Partner vans, we had a factor fitted bulkhead which is extremely strong, so I felt he had/has (he no longer has the Partner van) added protection in the case of an accident. His bulkhead has a steel box section that runs across the width of the van and is secured to a strong rigid pillar structure which also houses the seat belt mountings.

The issue I had was adding securing bolts to secure the tank frame at the sides. In most cases the fuel tank is in the way of access to the floor to fit spreader plates, bolts and nuts. Most tank fitters will remove or lower the fuel tank to do this.

When fitting a tank your primary consideration is your safety. Cost is also a factor, but your safety is by far the most important factor. I would always recommend having an expert fit it.

As far as welding a frame to the floor is concerned I wouldn't recommend that. Welding joins two pieces of metal with a thin welding bead of metal. You have to spread the stress load which welding doesn't do. That's why we use spreader plates.

I presume you are looking at a self-assembly frame that you can fit the base in first, then the tank and finally the securing brackets.

This sort of thing. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351934550480?hash=item51f0ef11d0:g:vuUAAOSwzsNgd-uS

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi all , 

I have a Vauxhall combo.  I had my tank fitted professionally, at the cleaning warehouse.  Safety was my main reason , its bolted down in a frame. 

Hi all , 

Do you mean your van has a ply lined floor.

You can't have a built up floor as the tank will not have a solid flat substrate to sit on as wooden voided floors will buckle under loading.

Just ply the floor. Rubber mat it then bolt the tank through it and plate as you would under the body

Cheer's guys ,

No not doing it myself was going to get a local fabricator to build one and mechanic to fit it , reason asking if weld be ok was thought could get the fabricator to do that at the same time , the cleaning warehouse frame is what i have in mind to copy , if not i be buying from them , 

Iann Docksey , how was it to fit is it pretty straight forward ? 

Cheer's guys ,

No not doing it myself was going to get a local fabricator to build one and mechanic to fit it , reason asking if weld be ok was thought could get the fabricator to do that at the same time , the cleaning warehouse frame is what i have in mind to copy , if not i be buying from them , 

Just be mindful of whatever you create weight is the factor

Cheer's guys ,

Yes mate, got there at 9am was on my way home around 1pm. Just over  1200 my system ,supplied and fitted. 

Back