Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Powerup 3d advice.......

Baldmonkey

Bought a power up 3d about 8 months ago and everything has been fine. 

I like to keep a stock of spare parts in to make sure any downtime is minimised. 

That got me thinking that the obvious part failure on the reel would be the belt, so I contacted waterworks and was told that I can't open the reel to replace the belt and that should the belt fail I'd have to ship the entire unit back to them

My questions are... 

A. Has anyone ever had belt issues on the powerup 3D?

B. Has anyone replaced the belt/had to ship the reel back? 

Seems bloody barmy to me!! 

I like to keep a stock of spare parts in to make sure any downtime is minimised. 

That got me thinking that the obvious part failure on the reel would be the belt, so I contacted waterworks and was told that I can't open the reel to replace the belt and that should the belt fail I'd have to ship the entire unit back to them

My questions are... 

The belt failed on mine. It would still turn but no torque. Waterworks said the same, but they did have a new reel priority shipped to me next day delivery. I then sent back the broken one in the same box.

I have the same worries as you. Their customer service is great, but what happens if it fails in two, three years time outside of the warranty. I don’t see them sending me a new reel then (though I obviously could be wrong). 

My questions are... 

I haven't seen a 3d in person.

Things to consider from a mechanical point of view

Is the case accessible? Does it have screws or rivets

Is the belt a timing belt, round belt or v belt?

every mechanical belt if not worn beyond visual reference has size markings

everything can be serviced

There's my opinion and have a good look at it as I'm sure it's consumer serviceable

Ammendment: from a quick Google session it appears that the reel is a mild steel chassis dressed in plastic to make it look sext but it's done in a way to give waterworks service exclusivity.

Online they offer spares but just a chain, I'm guessing that's for a first gen reel.

I have a feeling that the reel may use 12mm jumbo polycord custom vulcanised belt which is common in mechanical applications and is jointed using a clamp and hotplate iron similar to a large 100w soldering iron with paddle bit.

It's a long shot, polycord is rubbish as is breaks randomly and I've used it to repair brunswick gs10 pinsetter bowling machines

Last edited by a moderator:
surely the 3D comes with a handle if the reel fails?i have a pf reelmaster and its been great for 3 years now,no servicing whatsoever but if anything fails then i can stick a handle on it if i cant fix it there and then.....

ive also got a spare manual cox reel at home with 100m of microbore on to swap over if i needed to.....

you should always have a spare reel,poles,backpack,barrels,connectors,brushes,etc.......having a good set of spares once you ve been wfp cleaning for a few years means very little downtime when things do break....

The belt failed on mine. It would still turn but no torque. Waterworks said the same, but they did have a new reel priority shipped to me next day delivery. I then sent back the broken one in the same box.

I have the same worries as you. Their customer service is great, but what happens if it fails in two, three years time outside of the warranty. I don’t see them sending me a new reel then (though I obviously could be wrong). 
thats the issue, we try to save downtime by having spares but when you have to send them back for a simple belt change, whats the point.

so if i have a belt break in 2.5 years say and i have to send my reel back, i may get a reel thats second hand like mine but my not have been looked after as well, motor maybe all but burnt out etc....weird way to work

surely the 3D comes with a handle if the reel fails?i have a pf reelmaster and its been great for 3 years now,no servicing whatsoever but if anything fails then i can stick a handle on it if i cant fix it there and then.....

ive also got a spare manual cox reel at home with 100m of microbore on to swap over if i needed to.....

you should always have a spare reel,poles,backpack,barrels,connectors,brushes,etc.......having a good set of spares once you ve been wfp cleaning for a few years means very little downtime when things do break....
yeah mate it does come with a handle but its not the best handle in the world shall we say..i have god knows how many spares for all sorts of emergencies...i do have a spare reel with hose but would prefer to limp through the day...fix the powerup3d and be right for the next day instead of swapping reels, sending back etc...just a faff isnt it 

thats the issue, we try to save downtime by having spares but when you have to send them back for a simple belt change, whats the point.

so if i have a belt break in 2.5 years say and i have to send my reel back, i may get a reel thats second hand like mine but my not have been looked after as well, motor maybe all but burnt out etc....weird way to work
My best advice, over the weekend have a look at the reel and determine if you can change or replace the belt yourself.

Get sizes source spares

You can get a belt for everything and it's not brand specific

My best advice, over the weekend have a look at the reel and determine if you can change or replace the belt yourself.

Get sizes source spares

They do look difficult to change the belt on , bit like putting the chain back on the pure freedom reel master thats also a pig of a job !!!!!!

A new belt or a new reel? 
A new reel has been sent out. 
The motor is working but the belt obviously failed. 
I rang them assuming I could order a new belt, and wondering how to replace it. I was told they’d send out a new reel and to box up mine and they’d arrange the return delivery of the old reel and the newer reels wouldn’t fail …

They do look difficult to change the belt on , bit like putting the chain back on the pure freedom reel master thats also a pig of a job !!!!!!
I'm guessing you have to release the spindle bearing carriers remove the reel to access the pulley or sprocket

Seems crazy to me that you can't just remove a guard, remove the broken belt, slacken a tension adjuster, fit a new belt, set the tension, replace the guard.

Two pulleys ; one on the motor, driving, one on the reel receiving. Can't be rocket science to fit a small third pully for adjustment surely? Perhaps they aught to consult Squeeky Clean Dave for design advice.

Hmm. I'll stick with manual for the foreseeable.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems crazy to me that you can't just remove a guard, remove the broken belt, slacken a tension adjuster, fit a new belt, set the tension, replace the guard.

Two pulleys ; one on the motor, driving, one on the reel receiving. Can't be rocket science to fit a small third pully for adjustment surely? Perhaps they aught to consult Squeeky Clean Dave for design advice.

Hmm. I'll stick with manual for the foreseeable.?
I've always been manual. Love the exercise

Get sizes source spares

Was thinking the exact same thing pal ?

on the reelmaster,you just have to remove the chain guard first to access it.....its still a bit fiddly but can be done fairly easily
Top tip for joining two ends of chain.

To make life easier when trying to install a chain joint and retaining clip, use a cable tie through the two nearest chain ends and tension by pulling the cable tie and that brings both ends together.

Works on scooters, industrial machines and agricultural equipment

on the reelmaster,you just have to remove the chain guard first to access it.....its still a bit fiddly but can be done fairly easily
The latest reels don’t have a chain guard as such it’s a right pig to get the chain back on you cannot get your fingers in there I had to balance the chain on a screwdriver and after several attempts got it back on and Ime used tk this type of thing  from the motor industry I think the outside end panel cover should be removable it would make life a lot easier 

A new reel has been sent out. 
The motor is working but the belt obviously failed. 
I rang them assuming I could order a new belt, and wondering how to replace it. I was told they’d send out a new reel and to box up mine and they’d arrange the return delivery of the old reel and the newer reels wouldn’t fail …
Got my new reel today. It reels in loads quicker than my previous 1 year old 3d reel. Same red controller as the original but different button on top, not the replacement yellow one provided before. I’ll attach a pic of the snapped belt. 

B01EB4CF-633B-4279-BF04-CE1BFCF7DD58.jpeg

Back