Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Hypo accident/close calls

RWCleaning

This thread is a reminder of what can happen. We’ve all heard the posts of perfect Soft Wash jobs that pay £Hundres a day. But this is to remind ourselves and teach new ones who are thinking about getting into it that accidents can and probably will happen.

So last month I was cleaning a rendered detached garage. Off white walls with a mild-medium green algae on. Easy job. Hypo mix came out about 1.5%. 
P.P.E= I was wearing old hypo stained thick trousers, old hypo stained hoodie, chemical gauntlets up to my elbows, and full face visor. Cleaned the walls. Came out fine. 

Kept all my p.p.e on after I had finished and rinsed. Packed away the back pack. Packed away the hypo drum. 
One side of the garage was tight against the fence. Maybe a 2-3 foot wide gap all the way down where My pole which I had used to agitate the wall was standing up against the fence. I take off my face shield off as I had pretty much packed up and I kept knocking my face visor on the fence posts before down there lol. When I get to the end I just check the wall one last time for a ‘after photo’ I turn around and knock over my pole & brush. The next 3-5 seconds was like slow motion! 
I watch my pole slide across the fence as it goes to fall over, but the fence post/piller stops it. But the brush let’s of a wet mist when it’s hits the post. Now this was the brush I used to agitate the hypo wall So the hypo mix is on that brush. I feel the moisture hit my face including my eyes!! ? I try to run out of the tight gap with my eyes closed. Panicking! 
The outside tap was only 10 meters away thankfully. I kneel down and wash my face and rinse my eyes out for a good 3 or 4 minutes. Thankfully I didn’t feel much stinging and no damage done. I was just completely soaked afterwards as I was kneeling in a huge puddle I had made. The customer was out and I was on my own. 
It did shake me up a little bit. I had a long break after that job considering whether using Hypo is worth it.

*Note to self* P.P.E stays on until every bit of equipment is rinsed/emptied and away in the van. 

This thread is a reminder of what can happen. We’ve all heard the posts of perfect Soft Wash jobs that pay £Hundres a day. But this is to remind ourselves and teach new ones who are thinking about getting into it that accidents can and probably will happen.

So last month I was cleaning a rendered detached garage. Off white walls with a mild-medium green algae on. Easy job. Hypo mix came out about 1.5%. 
P.P.E= I was wearing old hypo stained thick trousers, old hypo stained hoodie, chemical gauntlets up to my elbows, and full face visor. Cleaned the walls. Came out fine. 

Kept all my p.p.e on after I had finished and rinsed. Packed away the back pack. Packed away the hypo drum. 
One side of the garage was tight against the fence. Maybe a 2-3 foot wide gap all the way down where My pole which I had used to agitate the wall was standing up against the fence. I take off my face shield off as I had pretty much packed up and I kept knocking my face visor on the fence posts before down there lol. When I get to the end I just check the wall one last time for a ‘after photo’ I turn around and knock over my pole & brush. The next 3-5 seconds was like slow motion! 
I watch my pole slide across the fence as it goes to fall over, but the fence post/piller stops it. But the brush let’s of a wet mist when it’s hits the post. Now this was the brush I used to agitate the hypo wall So the hypo mix is on that brush. I feel the moisture hit my face including my eyes!! ? I try to run out of the tight gap with my eyes closed. Panicking! 
The outside tap was only 10 meters away thankfully. I kneel down and wash my face and rinse my eyes out for a good 3 or 4 minutes. Thankfully I didn’t feel much stinging and no damage done. I was just completely soaked afterwards as I was kneeling in a huge puddle I had made. The customer was out and I was on my own. 
It did shake me up a little bit. I had a long break after that job considering whether using Hypo is worth it.

*Note to self* P.P.E stays on until every bit of equipment is rinsed/emptied and away in the van. 

Theses things unfortunately can happen Ime glad you are ok and not seriously hurt , we always use a face visor and safety glasses underneath as a double protection as mist can be blown under the visor . 

Theses things unfortunately can happen Ime glad you are ok and not seriously hurt , we always use a face visor and safety glasses underneath as a double protection as mist can be blown under the visor . 
I always wore goggles then face visor. You need to protect ones eyes until everything is neutralised or you get these mishaps. To be honest, I don't like using the stuff because anything can happen. I only try to use it when no one around or pets able to get in. First claim will be your last one.

I've had a hose fitting fail and 4% hypo in my eyes and face.

Rinsed thoroughly and was fine apart from feeling a bit like I was sunburnt. 

My skin seems less sensitive to it but I've seen other people react quite badly.

Glad you're okay. I've mostly stayed away from hypo since becoming self employed.

Used tons of it while working on a tesco contract many years ago but i always wore a British army s10 respirator.

Full face cover including eyes with a goretex hood and water proof neck covering

full face masks are a must in my opinion. Looking like the SAS saves your skin

Back