Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How late do you work?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Dave B

Staff member
Lost my employee a couple of months ago. 

Been doing it all myself while I look for a decent guy.

Started 8am this morning and did my last job just after 8pm.

Anyone else work stupid hours or do I need my head checking?

Got a big glass of scotch on the go to unwind now.

Only ice and whisky but much needed.

Screenshot_20210702-210233_WhatsAppBusiness.jpg

Lost my employee a couple of months ago. 

Been doing it all myself while I look for a decent guy.

Started 8am this morning and did my last job just after 8pm.

Anyone else work stupid hours or do I need my head checking?

Got a big glass of scotch on the go to unwind now.

Only ice and whisky but much needed.

View attachment 25030
Summer months I'll work until I can't see in natural daylight

Last year I was up at 3am every morning and started the first jobs come 0630hrs

Winter months it's a case of seeing, staying dry and Alive

Summer months I'll work until I can't see in natural daylight

Last year I was up at 3am every morning and started the first jobs come 0630hrs

Winter months it's a case of seeing, staying dry and Alive
You can always tell a fellow squaddie.. 0630 hrs and not made the tell tale mistake of putting a . In it.

My mate johnnie walker sees me through the hard days?

Think you need your head looking at pmsl, I never usually have a day like that where you work late. The only times I have done that is if say all morning has been really torrential downpour and then it goes by lunch so you end up starting late then finishing late in the evening, rather do that then work a weekend.

Has to be done tho ey.

Yeah good day on commercial today all of it 3 monthly something a bit different then houses everyday.

Think you need your head looking at pmsl, I never usually have a day like that where you work late. The only times I have done that is if say all morning has been really torrential downpour and then it goes by lunch so you end up starting late then finishing late in the evening, rather do that then work a weekend.

Has to be done tho ey.

Yeah good day on commercial today all of it 3 monthly something a bit different then houses everyday.
Nice man.

You know I never usually work that late as I'm usually on the phone to you most days lol.

Today was later than usual but needed to be done to catch up.

Is it sad to be on the phone to the same guy for 5 hrs in 1 day while working?

I have done similar hours on the glass years ago but now a long day 8am to 5:30 usually try and do 8:30 to 4:30 . Getting to old for long hours ???
Same Paul but sometimes you don't get the choice when dropped in it lol.

Mostly less than thirty hours a week for me. 09:00 hours am to about 15:00 pm?. That's enough for me these days to be honest. I'd have been up for half as much again easily when I was younger. It's not hard work up to second level on domestic.

Sorry, couldn't resist putting an a and pm in just to confuse things. ?

Nice man.

You know I never usually work that late as I'm usually on the phone to you most days lol.

Today was later than usual but needed to be done to catch up.

Is it sad to be on the phone to the same guy for 5 hrs in 1 day while working?

Same Paul but sometimes you don't get the choice when dropped in it lol.
Yes I know what you mean , I am still hands on with the job and always will be but the day doesn’t end when you get home there is quotes to do , phone calls , emails,  fixing any broken things , ordering new stuff and sorting any problems , it ends in very late days if you arnt careful. 

Mostly less than thirty hours a week for me. 09:00 hours am to about 15:00 pm?. That's enough for me these days to be honest. I'd have been up for half as much again easily when I was younger. It's not hard work up to second level on domestic.

Sorry, couldn't resist putting an a and pm in just to confuse things. ?
To be fair you are an old man now Dave?

Yes I know what you mean , I am still hands on with the job and always will be but the day doesn’t end when you get home there is quotes to do , phone calls , emails,  fixing any broken things , ordering new stuff and sorting any problems , it ends in very late days if you arnt careful. 
I've just finished my admin for the day.

Got quotes to do that I've just put on my software to remind me next week.

Sorted out payments etc.

Go to bed..weekend will dissapear..soon be Monday ?

Bloody heck man. And here's me with a start time of 10am and finishing around 3pm AND I break for lunch too. 

I'll not work on a Saturday either unless I've a big job on and it will take a few hours but this has only happened twice this year.  

Bloody heck man. And here's me with a start time of 10am and finishing around 3pm AND I break for lunch too. 

I'll not work on a Saturday either unless I've a big job on and it will take a few hours but this has only happened twice this year.  
A lunch break? What are they?

I've never stopped for lunch. Flat out then home. Lunch slows you down haha ?

I've just finished my admin for the day.

Got quotes to do that I've just put on my software to remind me next week.

Sorted out payments etc.

Go to bed..weekend will dissapear..soon be Monday ?
Can I ask a pertinent question without causing offence? 

If you're working silly hours as you're currently on your own and catching up, why are you still doing quotes? 

Is this to get more work, or better priced jobs to replace the lower paid (or unreliable) jobs?

I ask because when I hit my target, I'll want to stay around that figure. So I would only get new better priced jobs to replace the lower quality jobs I have and staying around my target figure. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I have only worked 1 Saturday this year..

Last minute job last week..conny roof that took about an hour then went home again. 

A lunch break? What are they?

I've never stopped for lunch. Flat out then home. Lunch slows you down haha ?
Sometimes when you feel chinstrapped you need to take 5 mins to hydrate and eat something but that's pretty much my break for the day.

Can I ask ask pertinent question without causing offence? 

If you're working silly hours as you're currently on your own and catching up, why are you still doing quotes? 

Is this to get more work, or better priced jobs to replace the lower paid (or unreliable) jobs?

I ask because when I hit my target, I'll want to stay around that figure. So I would only get new better priced jobs to replace the lower quality jobs I have and staying around my target figure. 
Basically I've never had a pension my whole life doing this since I left school.in 1991.

I am expanding the business so i can retire at some point and have the business run itself.

I already have a guy who does my pressure washing for me for a markup on his quote and likewise for gutters etc as that interferes with my windows.

I also work with a property management company who is actually my best mate so do stuff for him (softwash mainly) and will have a dedicated pressure washing/softwashing van on the road next spring and already have the guy lined up ready to start. 

He already does work for my mate.

I stated on my commercials at 7:15 this morning and Finished my last job (domestic at 6:10) today. That is unusually long for me.

Average day normally 8:45-5/5:30 (have to finish at 4/4:30 in December & January obviously) 

*started

Back