Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Working all day then waiting a week for payments

SRW

Waiting a week + for your payments then constantly chasing people feel like giving up with this 

getting paid drips and drabs with windowcleaning how dose every one els do it ? 

I don’t feel waiting a week or so is a problem personally, but if it is for you then be straight when quoting jobs and say that you expect payment in xx days or what ever so they know ware they stand ,if they hesitate then best to not take them on as they will probably be slow payers . Window cleaning is always a refining process some good customers turn bad and need dumping , others move or die or cancel for what ever reason , so just adapt what you say when getting new enquires. 

Waiting a week + for your payments then constantly chasing people feel like giving up with this 

A week is nothing as I clearly state in my terms and conditions

When you do large commercial jobs for thousands and you have to wait 30 days that's when you start clenching your butt

I think the problem is a lack of assertiveness and ownership by the business owner. If you have to wait too long for payments but don't want to, the preferred system needs to be made clear to the customer at the quotation/recruitment stage (day one). Ie : customer will be notified the day before, reminded to please unlock the gate first thing in the morning and to please leave the payment in the agreed safe place (of your choice) out the back, or else payment through bank transfer on the day or soon after or whatever payment method the owner decides. 

We price and charge for one visit, with customer notified the day before and prompt payment. The few bank transfer payments are usually fairly promptly paid. We don't price for a second visit to collect payment or for chasing payments. If anyone starts those shenanigans they are brought into line or dropped.

Decide on a system and stick to it unless you think of a better one. Own the business and the practices. I am talking of domestic of course. Commercial is very different in regards payment methods and times. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I only had to wait a week for payments I would be doing cartwheelss!

It's your business so it's up to you to set out your terms.If it's new work the chances are they could be messers or problem customers.

Try offering different payment methods like cash,bacs,go careless and card payments to see if that helps.

I chase customers from day 30 if they haven't paid.  I would love it if everyone paid within a week!

I dump those that don't pay upon request after the 30 days.

what you need to do is get ahead with your bills,get a few thousand (at least) in the bank and you wont mind getting paid 2 or 3 weeks later....this will take time if your currently living hand to mouth but all the best things in life take time to build....

im always owed between £500-£1500 at any one time....it comes in eventually but im not bothered as i have plenty of money behind me these days.....

what you need to do is get ahead with your bills,get a few thousand (at least) in the bank and you wont mind getting paid 2 or 3 weeks later....this will take time if your currently living hand to mouth but all the best things in life take time to build....

im always owed between £500-£1500 at any one time....it comes in eventually but im not bothered as i have plenty of money behind me these days.....
You should of added this in your post on the other forum , how many paid ……out of that £400 you made today ?‍♂️

If customers haven't paid after a couple of weeks I send them a reminder text, then one per week thereafter. Normally does the trick. One customer I'm not going to clean again used to make me wait 8 weeks every time and I think that's a bit of disrespect or she's broke, either way I don't want her buisness.

If it's that much of a problem use Gocardless for those that want to do transfers.

Being self emploed and running a business is certainly different to being employed. One of the biggest aspects is not having a guarenteed pay date each month. But this just needs planning and it's all in your hands. These days I am regularly owed between 500 and 1k at any one time but it all comes in eventually and the most important thing is managing your finances to deal with this and once you have been running a while hopefuly you will have a nice financial buffer so it's no worries. Just remember through in a normal job you work a day then normally have to atleast wait till the end of the month for that pay!!!!!!!!!

You should of added this in your post on the other forum , how many paid ……out of that £400 you made today ?‍♂️
some were commercial jobs so i wont get paid for at least a month off these....some of the large domestic will usually pay within a week 

i only got £40 in from todays takings of £406 but over £250 from work i cleaned last week dropped into my account......i get paid every day from previous cleans all the time so all is well

in this game im always sowing seeds to reap in the future......it never ends!

Last edited by a moderator:

If you worked for someone you would be paid a week in hand or Monthly would you not?. Waiting a week or so to be paid, or when the customer themselves get paid is not unusual. Part of the "new" way of operating when you offer cashless transactions. And surely it is only a tiny proportion you are talking about.

This something you have to accept as it's just how it is, after 13 years it was doing my head in chasing money at times so I switched to GC, now I do have to wait a week but it's gauranteed to be in my account, 

Personally don't understand why people drag their heels with payment we had and have people working on our house as soon as the job is done I pay asap as in the same day the job is completed, we have a dog walker come I and pay her asap as well, but I understand what it is to run a business and how some payments can be later than others so I do my best to pay my bills asap sometimes even before the job is complete if it's people I know and trust a lot. 

it was far worse years ago when collecting  and customers wouldnt answer the door and they owed you 3 weeks money,or if they did answer no cash or couldnt find their chequebook....?

at least now a text reminder sent from the comfort of your own sofa usually does the job......?

100% this.

Im not having a pop or being a d1ck BUT if you rely on people to pay within 24/48hrs then you are 

A: In the wrong job

Or

B: Need to manage the finances better

I suppose this thread just highlights how we all run our businesses differently. I have 70% on GoCardless now but for those who still pay by Bacs I've give them 3 days, after 3 days they get a reminder. If I have to give a reminder on more than one occasion they are removed from the round. 

I don't entertain anything longer than 7 days. Not because I'm skint, not because I'm desperate, but simply because it's how I feel the customers should treat me for a good reliable service. I have a very comfortable life but that has nothing to do with the customer or their payment.

To the opening poster, if you are wanting to receive payment within 7 days that is your choice and a customer should respect that. If they don't move them onto GC or remove them. 

I suppose this thread just highlights how we all run our businesses differently. I have 70% on GoCardless now but for those who still pay by Bacs I've give them 3 days, after 3 days they get a reminder. If I have to give a reminder on more than one occasion they are removed from the round. 

I don't entertain anything longer than 7 days. Not because I'm skint, not because I'm desperate, but simply because it's how I feel the customers should treat me for a good reliable service. I have a very comfortable life but that has nothing to do with the customer or their payment.

To the opening poster, if you are wanting to receive payment within 7 days that is your choice and a customer should respect that. If they don't move them onto GC or remove them. 
Yeah i guess the phrase that can easily sum up this thread is..... EACH TO THEIR OWN

Ime guessing you don’t do any commercial work then as it’s 28 day payment by 99%  of them . As has been said each to there own we always have around 5-8 k outstanding theses days but  cash flow  into the bank is very good and I don’t have a problem with that . I agree the works done and you should be paid., but many wait until the end of the month when they get paid to settle there bills and I feel that’s fine , if I had a window cleaner hassle me after a few days chasing money I would tell him what to do . 

Ime guessing you don’t do any commercial work then as it’s 28 day payment by 99%  of them . As has been said each to there own we always have around 5-8 k outstanding theses days but  cash flow  into the bank is very good and I don’t have a problem with that . I agree the works done and you should be paid., but many wait until the end of the month when they get paid to settle there bills and I feel that’s fine , if I had a window cleaner hassle me after a few days chasing money I would tell him what to do . 
I heard some are 90 days like the council and blue chip companies, not sure if that's still the case. Carillion was 90 days and then extended it till they folded and took many sub-contractors with them.

Back