Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Cleaning black stains caused by rubber seals.

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Damo

Hi Guys

I have some panelling to clean which has black stains on it. This is caused from the window seals above breaking down and then the run off runs down the panelling. 

We’ve been called in todo the second building and was wondering if there is an easy way. 

The only method that worked was neat degreaser and a magic sponge. I tried a small amount of bleach, solvent and ubik. 

Anything else worth trying? 

Thanks

Hi Guys

I have some panelling to clean which has black stains on it. This is caused from the window seals above breaking down and then the run off runs down the panelling. 

We’ve been called in todo the second building and was wondering if there is an easy way. 

The only method that worked was neat degreaser and a magic sponge. I tried a small amount of bleach, solvent and ubik. 

Anything else worth trying? 

Thanks
The only other thing that has worked for me - and not made the seals bleed even more - is good old pink stuff paste, applied by hand using the gardiners white scotch type pad. If you don’t want to get up close and personal I’ve had limited success with the liquid version (squeezy tub) squirted directly on to a flocked brush. 

The only way to remove them completely I have found is to get up close and personal with a cream cleaner etc and do it by hand , the problem is the seals  will continue to bleed and re contaminate the frames so we dont offer this service  any more I just explain to the customer what will happen that it will come back unless they replace the seals , so it’s a waist of our time and their money ???

I have explained it will come back and it already has on the first building, just not as bad. 

As long as they pay the bills it’s fine. 

I have got pink stuff but it’s painted cladding and I’m positive it would scratch it to pieces. 

I might try a small piece and test it. 

I have got pink stuff but it’s painted cladding and I’m positive it would scratch it to pieces. 

I might try a small piece and test it. 
The only other thing you could try is different strengths of TFR-CC. It will take a LOT of patience and scrubbing. I use a flocked brush to apply and a DuPont/normal brush to clean and rinse 

Back