Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Diesel pressure washer hard to start

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Tutster

Hi all I bought a lombardini diesel pressure washer like new as part payment off a job its great when it's running but getting it started either nearly rips you're arm off or you need a week off to get over it ? I've tried all the obvious tricks like  a fuel change starting with the trigger open etc but like I say it's a nightmare to start I heard something about a pin/key needs replacing something to do with the alignment in the crankshaft but god knows what I'm searching for on Google any help or advice would be much appreciated cheers all 

Hi all I bought a lombardini diesel pressure washer like new as part payment off a job its great when it's running but getting it started either nearly rips you're arm off or you need a week off to get over it ? I've tried all the obvious tricks like  a fuel change starting with the trigger open etc but like I say it's a nightmare to start I heard something about a pin/key needs replacing something to do with the alignment in the crankshaft but god knows what I'm searching for on Google any help or advice would be much appreciated cheers all 
I would sell it and buy a petrol one.

Are you familiar with single cylinder diesel engine decompressor levers.

Normally you'd pull on the lever, while pulling on the recoil rope then let your finger of the lever to allow the crank stroke action

Are you familiar with single cylinder diesel engine decompressor levers.

Normally you'd pull on the lever, while pulling on the recoil rope then let your finger of the lever to allow the crank stroke action
No not a clue? I've done a bit of digging and the problem is pointing towards a broken shear key they word it as  a piece of soft metal designed to break off if something is untoward in the engine then basically you realign and slot a new key into the groove to reset the engine if that makes any sense lol.i think what I've read is pointing towards the engine is out of sync 

The thing to remember with diesels is the cylinder pressure is massive compared to petrol's. I believe the fuel timing is normally fixed in respect of crank position, so a damaged woodruff key could throw timing out.

Also the recoil starter should not pull your arm back in to the motor, so it might be worth replacing that?

I would be inclined to pay someone who knows about these engines to service it. The diesels are big, heavy, and noisy but they can be very good and last a long time but if it's not running right you will be wasting fuel, have low pressure and difficulties starting it.

The thing to remember with diesels is the cylinder pressure is massive compared to petrol's. I believe the fuel timing is normally fixed in respect of crank position, so a damaged woodruff key could throw timing out.

Also the recoil starter should not pull your arm back in to the motor, so it might be worth replacing that?

I would be inclined to pay someone who knows about these engines to service it. The diesels are big, heavy, and noisy but they can be very good and last a long time but if it's not running right you will be wasting fuel, have low pressure and difficulties starting it.
Thankyou for the information I'm going to get a mechanic I know to sort it I don't think it's much but I've not got a clue thanks again 

No not a clue? I've done a bit of digging and the problem is pointing towards a broken shear key they word it as  a piece of soft metal designed to break off if something is untoward in the engine then basically you realign and slot a new key into the groove to reset the engine if that makes any sense lol.i think what I've read is pointing towards the engine is out of sync 
Random thought. Sounds like some has tried starting it many times without holding the gun trigger open or easy prime ball valve to release the pressure when starting it

Back