Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Traditional winter cleaning

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Taz69

Do other traditional window cleaners come to a point in winter when you dont work due to cold, frost, ice and snow? Or do you just work through it? Obv ladders wont be a good idea in ice etc I also use pole work, I'm just wondering if you stay off until the weather gets better or not

Do other traditional window cleaners come to a point in winter when you dont work due to cold, frost, ice and snow? Or do you just work through it? Obv ladders wont be a good idea in ice etc I also use pole work, I'm just wondering if you stay off until the weather gets better or not
This industry isn't one of let's take a unpaid holiday when winter is here.

It's a hardcore job which isn't for the weak lazy or lame.

As long as your water doesn't freeze in the bucket and your squeegee doesn't weld itself to the glass it's work O'Clock

This industry isn't one of let's take a unpaid holiday when winter is here.

It's a hardcore job which isn't for the weak lazy or lame.

As long as your water doesn't freeze in the bucket and your squeegee doesn't weld itself to the glass it's work O'Clock
This ☝️

Most windies work year round. 

@Taz69

You just need to dress properly to work in cold climate weather.

Make sure your work flow is efficient you dont want to waste time in the cold 

Hydration is just as important as it is during the heat of the summer. 

Hope this helps. 

Yes. If the water is freezing on the glass there’s not a lot you can do. I’ve been known to use winter screen wash, or a glut of antifreeze in my bucket. 

But in the uk the amount of really freezing days are few, usually if you just wait an hour or two it’s warmed up enough to carry on. 

This ☝️

Most windies work year round. 

@Taz69

You just need to dress properly to work in cold climate weather.

Make sure your work flow is efficient you dont want to waste time in the cold 

Hydration is just as important as it is during the heat of the summer. 

Hope this helps. 
I love early winter morning when it's ice cold and frosty. Quiet roads no one about which makes the morning go quicker.

I'm still wearing my shorts come rain or shine

If particularly cold/icy sometimes wise to start slightly later to allow a bit of sunlight on windows. Having water after applicating the window freeze is a bu**er at the start of your working day.

All year round for me. We close for two weeks over Christmas ? that's it.

The cold never bothers me, often add antifreeze over the winter and carry on in the sub zero temps.

As for snow ❄ it depends on how bad, but I would generally switch to trad poles and do some low down stuff if its lands for a day or two. Doesn't happen too often.

Rain ?  we take the day off if its on all day particularly heavy, but will persevere if its light or showers.

I wish I could take 3 months off, I have never met a window cleaner that does. But I have been asked by new customers "what do you do over winter" before.

Back