Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pre filters will they help resin last longer

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Liamj1509

Ive just bought a pre filter kit so from my hose I have 1 sediment filter and 3 carbon and then through a di then in to my tank then through another di before it comes out the brush  will this help save my resin as I'm in quite a soft area 150 up here or will it strip it 

150ppm isn't classed as soft water below 100ppm is, your set up doesn't sound right at all have you bought an R/O from a reputable supplier??

Ive just bought a pre filter kit so from my hose I have 1 sediment filter and 3 carbon and then through a di then in to my tank then through another di before it comes out the brush  will this help save my resin as I'm in quite a soft area 150 up here or will it strip it 
Prefilters only remove sediment & chlorine in my opinion and don't offer resin saving properties.

Removing chlorine is a key process to offer a better lifespan to RO membranes.

If you have water at around 150ppm that's not in the soft margin and you'll destroy resin quickly.

Using a double DI method will offer a degree saving however you'd be best suited with a 4040 RO and a 11ltr DI as a polisher

There's my set up I'm just thinking the flow isn't quick enough and i don't have storage for an ibc or something to trickle in I've just ordered another 11ltr di so with out the membrane them filters are serving not much purpose ive got my water down to 50 tds going in to the van then the di in the van is only cleaning less 

16270456703527429501613405927202.jpg

There's my set up I'm just thinking the flow isn't quick enough and i don't have storage for an ibc or something to trickle in I've just ordered another 11ltr di so with out the membrane them filters are serving not much purpose ive got my water down to 50 tds going in to the van then the di in the van is only cleaning less 

View attachment 25192
I have no idea how much water you use but from that photo it looks like you have space for a couple of water butts so about 400 litres. Then you can use a RO. You would need a pump to get from waterbutts to your van tank but that's not too difficult. I use a gardiners backpack transfer pump - 30lpm using 12v - you could use long cable and power from van. I guess it really depends on how much water you are using and your resin costs as RO will give you low tds so lower resin use but you will probably have 60%+ waste water. It's a bit of a balancing act really but all hinges on your water use.

I always have a rainy day fund ive been cleaning windows to long to be making silly mistakes by relying on work in the winter if i get in i get in if not it has to be bad to keep me off my customers appreciate me not cleaning there windows in minus 5 so there's your answer i freeze up then i light the fire make a brew and kick back 

View attachment 25192
With that setup and how it's mounted daylight UV temperature will ruin all your hard work and it's the perfect breeding environment for alge, mould weakening of the plastic

@Liamj1509   to be upfront and honest you've wasted your money on your set up, if your DI is the blue chamber on the floor it is completely inadequate the right size DI vessel would be here https://www.daqua.co.uk/divessels.htm but even so with tap tds of 150ppm you would be far better off as in saving yourself a fortune longterm to have a standard 450gpd  R/O https://www.daqua.co.uk/ro_systems.htm this may take your tap tds down to 000ppm 

Buy an R/O and a storage tank even if it's a water butt, I've used water butts over 13 years of been wfp I currently have a 350ltr water butt it wasn't cheap but suits my needs for water usage and my limited space in my garage, an R/O needs housing within storage shed or one of those plastic chests to keep out of the sunlight and other weather.

Back