Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

WANTED - 500l tank, leisure battery, split charge relay (Eastbourne)

Are you sure your van has the weight capacity for a 500lts tank, frame, leisure battery, hose reel, you and fuel?

Overloading a van is not safe and illegal! If you are caught at a road side check or have an accident in an overloaded van you would be in huge trouble.

Sorry for sounding so negative but sometimes people don't realise what weight they can legally carry in a van. If you are aware of what you can carry and the 500lts tank etc is within your load capacity then sorry to bring it up.

Yeah I have checked compare the market says its payload is 815kg while another site said 750kg not sure why the difference, but I was planning on getting a 500l then filling it up to maybe 400l or 350kg depending on who or what I'm carrying, not sure what you think. Also, no worries about sounding negative it is important to be aware of it. It is a Caddy 69Ps Sdi 2008 2litre

Stsss said:
Yeah I have checked compare the market says its payload is 815kg while another site said 750kg not sure why the difference, but I was planning on getting a 500l then filling it up to maybe 400l or 350kg depending on who or what I'm carrying, not sure what you think. Also, no worries about sounding negative it is important to be aware of it. It is a Caddy 69Ps Sdi 2008 2litre
Forgot to quote you on the last one whoops

Forgot to quote you on the last one whoops

If you look on your V5 it should give you unladen weight. 

On the van the VIN plate will display either 3 or 4 sets of weight, it is these weights that the authorities use to determine whether your vehicle is over-laden. 1st is normally MAM, 2nd is usually Gross train weight (including trailer), 3rd and 4th are front and rear axle max weights.

So to work out payload take unladen weight from Maximum authorised mass (MAM). That should give you your payload but be aware that a driver, passenger and fuel are taken off the payload!!!!

Thank you so much I'll check it when I pick it up tomorrow, I think the absolute minimum it will be is 720kg from what I have found though

Thank you so much I'll check it when I pick it up tomorrow, I think the absolute minimum it will be is 720kg from what I have found though
I bet you are all excited ? Let us know how you get on.

If you do get a tank, please get it bolted through the floor with spreader plates under the floor. Strapping it in using the existing tie down loops will not be strong enough to hold the tank in an accident and you don't want 500kg coming to squash you!

If you do get a tank, please get it bolted through the floor with spreader plates under the floor. Strapping it in using the existing tie down loops will not be strong enough to hold the tank in an accident and you don't want 500kg coming to squash you!
Hi Chedd thanks for all your advice. I have the van now. This is the VIN plate you mentioned. This is good right?

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-24 at 11.12.23.jpeg

Yeah I couldn't understand the sticker, so not sure how much it can take but it can't be lower than 955kg I think

So the 2185kg is the maximum the vehicle can weigh fully laden including people and fuel.

3500kg is max train weight - so max van weight + 1315kg trailer.

I would guess there is a weight in service or something on the V5 (reg doc)?

Alternatively fill the fuel tank and drive to weigh bridge that will get you a mass in service so deduct that from the 2185kg and that's your payload.

Stupidly complex I know, no idea why they make it difficult.

Looking forward to seeing your van with the kit fitted.

So the 2185kg is the maximum the vehicle can weigh fully laden including people and fuel.

3500kg is max train weight - so max van weight + 1315kg trailer.

I would guess there is a weight in service or something on the V5 (reg doc)?

Alternatively fill the fuel tank and drive to weigh bridge that will get you a mass in service so deduct that from the 2185kg and that's your payload.

Stupidly complex I know, no idea why they make it difficult.

Looking forward to seeing your van with the kit fitted.
That was way too much mental effort for me so i just contacted Volkswagen and to my surprise they actually said the payload is 1315kgs! I have that in writing as well, just in case.

That was way too much mental effort for me so i just contacted Volkswagen and to my surprise they actually said the payload is 1315kgs! I have that in writing as well, just in case.
So that small / medium van is a class leader in payload? That's higher then most Transits / Vivaros. Seems an awfully large payload for a van that size.

So that small / medium van is a class leader in payload? That's higher then most Transits / Vivaros. Seems an awfully large payload for a van that size.
That is what I said to them, I really don't understand how I can do any more due dilligence than what I have already done. I personally don't agree it is so high but what can I do? haha

which one is the V5? haha. I also, spoke to VW again got all the way to their technical team, they didn't know either... called 101 even, now I give up and I'm just gonna fill it see how it feels and go from there... ?

It's funny how the number VW gave was the same 1315kg I calculated as the trailer weight!!!!

Does the V5 say any kg figures?
which one is the V5? haha. I also, spoke to VW again got all the way to their technical team, they didn't know either... called 101 even, now I give up and I'm just gonna fill it see how it feels and go from there... ?

Latest Posts

Back