Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gardiner pole sleeve

t_wild

Small thought I had recently. My pole is only about a year old and the handle is starting to suffer a bit with general wear and tear as you'd expect. Does anyone know of a product that would be like a sleeve or cover for the handle to avoid damage when dropped or when you catch it on something?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated?

I don’t t know what you are doing with it to damage it they are very robust , yes you get an occasional scratch but that’s about it , never had any issues with any of ours . Any pictures of the damage might help .

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not so much damage just mainly scuffs and the very occasional scratch, just with how much they cost just wondering if a company had made just something thin just to protect them.

It's not so much damage just mainly scuffs and the very occasional scratch, just with how much they cost just wondering if a company had made just something thin just to protect them.
Ok I think the odd scratch hear and there is inevitable it’s a tool to do a job not an ornament in my books , once worn out it’s unfortunately thrown away and a new one used , they are a consumable item although we do treat them with respect but like all things they will suffer a bit of wear and tare over the years . 

Small thought I had recently. My pole is only about a year old and the handle is starting to suffer a bit with general wear and tear as you'd expect. Does anyone know of a product that would be like a sleeve or cover for the handle to avoid damage when dropped or when you catch it on something?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated?
Sports grip tape, Wide bore heatshrink, Closed cell self adhesive 3mm sheet, insulation tape, neoprene child's wetsuit sleeve, thermoplastic HV insulation cover and so.

I understand it won't last forever (unfortunately?) but like the Gardiner brush bumpers I'd rather have a cheap bit of rubber you can cover it with to prolong the life and keep it looking it's best. My brush head that I bought with the pole and has had the bumper on looks new.

I understand it won't last forever (unfortunately?) but like the Gardiner brush bumpers I'd rather have a cheap bit of rubber you can cover it with to prolong the life and keep it looking it's best. My brush head that I bought with the pole and has had the bumper on looks new.
You can buy replacement end stops. The more you cover a pole with the heavier it gets

My choice would be heat shrink sleeving. Reasons : a single sleeve rather than tape so more gentle on hands as no overlapping winds, no edges to catch, super easy to use. If you go this route make sure to think it through fully for your preferences. Ie, nonslip, medium grip or fairly slippery. Make sure to check and double check your measurements. Some are sold by open diameter with the need to allow for shrinkage when heated, others are sold by flat width with the need to allow for getting on to the pole and the finished shrunk diameter. 
it's used on some fishing rod butt sections and on some kayak paddle shafts before the blades are fitted.

My choice would be heat shrink sleeving. Reasons : a single sleeve rather than tape so more gentle on hands as no overlapping winds, no edges to catch, super easy to use. If you go this route make sure to think it through fully for your preferences. Ie, nonslip, medium grip or fairly slippery. Make sure to check and double check your measurements. Some are sold by open diameter with the need to allow for shrinkage when heated, others are sold by flat width with the need to allow for getting on to the pole and the finished shrunk diameter. 
it's used on some fishing rod butt sections and on some kayak paddle shafts before the blades are fitted.
I have a life time supply of heatshrink. Have alot of colours sizes and ratios.

I use 60mm clear on my poles great shrink ratio which gives a nice tight finish.

Always shrink with boiling kettle water on poles

I feel like heatshrink wouldn't be a bad idea actually, would fix the problem?
As Davy G also stated shrink ratio is the key to a good finish.

You need to find about the exact diameter of your bottom pole.

Then find a colour or clear that will allow for a minimum 30% shrink ratio

what length would you want ?

As Davy G also stated shrink ratio is the key to a good finish.

You need to find about the exact diameter of your bottom pole.

Then find a colour or clear that will allow for a minimum 30% shrink ratio

what length would you want ?
This is 1m of 60mm with a 2.1 ratio which is 50% it's original size when heated

MDD 1meter 2:1 Black Heat Shrink Tube, 45mm 50mm 60mm 70mm 80mm 90mm 100mm 120mm 150mm 180mm Heatshrink Tubing (Size : 60mm) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HMYRJQZ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_J3Q88BKZ4MXNMTF8HWN0?psc=1

I think a meter would be fine just to cover the main section of the pole

Thanks for the help, I think this might be the option I'll go with??
If you get it just remove your end stop cap,

Clean the section you wish to cover with warm soapy water and allow to totally dry.

Slide on your heatshrink over your hose so its up your pole base

slide into place then pour boiling hot kettle water on slowly starting at one end and working your way down the pole

you will notice it shrink as you go

You can use a hairdryer but caution is needed as you do not want to end up De-laminating your pole

Many focus to much heat in one area for to long and burn the heatshrink which cause bubbles and wripples

Heat guns naked flame blow torches are too aggressive on poles unless you've worked with heatshrink an awful lot

Back