Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best cleaning detergent?

Bongofish

Hi all!

So as I'm taking steps closer to patio cleaning, I was wondering what the best all round cleaner is to  to spray on before the clean? I know hypo is the best but also reading that's it's not pet friendly and can kill the customers grass even from the overspray? 

Thabk you ?

Hypos the best hands down mate but be careful if you haven't used it before, it will discolour rendered/pebbledashed walls, discolour pvc, if left on for too long or not rinsed thoroughly, make sure you wear a mask and waterproof clothing gloves if you can it will take the colour out of any other kind of clothing, if your doing patio areas mix 5 litres of hypo with 20 of water and spray on with a pump pressure sprayer and keep your nozzle low enough to the ground to stop any overspray getting on surfaces that it couldn't and you'll not go wrong, I'd use biocide for walls to you get the hang of the hypo mate, it could ruin your reputation before you get going if your not careful with it, the bio won't give the instant results of hypo, but over time will do the job. Hypo will only kill grass if you tip the jar over when it's sitting on grass or a fair amount spills on to a small area, and in regard of pets as long as it's dried in before the pet walks on the surface it will do them absolutely no harm at all, make sure everything around you is wet aswell before applying even the patio area or whatever you have powerwashed, and it is useless on tarmac and can leave streaks from discolour that you'll not rinse out, but any concrete, brick paved or patio area it will be 100% to use on mate

Hi all!

So as I'm taking steps closer to patio cleaning, I was wondering what the best all round cleaner is to  to spray on before the clean? I know hypo is the best but also reading that's it's not pet friendly and can kill the customers grass even from the overspray? 

Thabk you ?
I personally favor AlgoClear,

Another key fact to compliment yours about pets and grass is that caution should be used if cleaning an area with a sunken septic tank as SH can destroy it's chemical chemistry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypos the best hands down mate but be careful if you haven't used it before, it will discolour rendered/pebbledashed walls, discolour pvc, if left on for too long or not rinsed thoroughly, make sure you wear a mask and waterproof clothing gloves if you can it will take the colour out of any other kind of clothing, if your doing patio areas mix 5 litres of hypo with 20 of water and spray on with a pump pressure sprayer and keep your nozzle low enough to the ground to stop any overspray getting on surfaces that it couldn't and you'll not go wrong, I'd use biocide for walls to you get the hang of the hypo mate, it could ruin your reputation before you get going if your not careful with it, the bio won't give the instant results of hypo, but over time will do the job. Hypo will only kill grass if you tip the jar over when it's sitting on grass or a fair amount spills on to a small area, and in regard of pets as long as it's dried in before the pet walks on the surface it will do them absolutely no harm at all, make sure everything around you is wet aswell before applying even the patio area or whatever you have powerwashed, and it is useless on tarmac and can leave streaks from discolour that you'll not rinse out, but any concrete, brick paved or patio area it will be 100% to use on mate
I have never known hypo to  affect any rendered or pebble dashed wall s been doing it around 18 years , it will turn white UPVC yellow if it stronger mix is used but if washed off it will revert  back to white after 2-4 hours . Plants and grass will be fine provided you mist them with water before and after application of hypo mix . The correct PPE is important especially when mixing it up , if doing a path then a watering can is good for applying  it as there is no drift,  if spraying hypo you want a proper nozzle that produces water droplets not a mist spray pattern this will greatly reduce any drift but not totally eliminate it all together 

I have never known hypo to  affect any rendered or pebble dashed wall s been doing it around 18 years , it will turn white UPVC yellow if it stronger mix is used but if washed off it will revert  back to white after 2-4 hours . Plants and grass will be fine provided you mist them with water before and after application of hypo mix . The correct PPE is important especially when mixing it up , if doing a path then a watering can is good for applying  it as there is no drift,  if spraying hypo you want a proper nozzle that produces water droplets not a mist spray pattern this will greatly reduce any drift but not totally eliminate it all together 
If it's walked away from without rinsing on non painted render/pebbledash it will yellow it mate, I've seen it happen buddy, turns the wall a dirty colour, I know that I got a set in omagh back to white with cif, I was canvassing the rest of the park when my worker was continuing the job, I came back a while later and the window frames where starting to yellow, luckily I got that sorted by scrubbing it, but I've seen the mess an inexperienced man let loose with a drum of hypo can create, I know people who's had to get white doors and windows replaced over the head of hypo mate, you can adjust the nozzle on the pump sprayer, and as is say if it's kept low I've never had any problem with overspray anyway. Your probably right though about using the watering can at the start to be in the safe side

I'll get you a few pictures tomorrow of house walls that have been discoloured by hypo pjj mate

If it's walked away from without rinsing on non painted render/pebbledash it will yellow it mate, I've seen it happen buddy, turns the wall a dirty colour, I know that I got a set in omagh back to white with cif, I was canvassing the rest of the park when my worker was continuing the job, I came back a while later and the window frames where starting to yellow, luckily I got that sorted by scrubbing it, but I've seen the mess an inexperienced man let loose with a drum of hypo can create, I know people who's had to get white doors and windows replaced over the head of hypo mate, you can adjust the nozzle on the pump sprayer, and as is say if it's kept low I've never had any problem with overspray anyway. Your probably right though about using the watering can at the start to be in the safe side

I'll get you a few pictures tomorrow of house walls that have been discoloured by hypo pjj mate
We clean pebble dash houses , painted render , commercial plastic coated aluminium warehouses and never have any problems sounds like it’s been used neat I do my own house every few years that’s grey granite pebble dash on un painted grey render and it’s never gone yellow it only does  that on white UPVC , yes you should rinse but it’s not absolutely nessasary on render , we dont rinse roof jobs and again never have any issues at all . 

From experience on render if it looks a bit yellow/dirty you haven't killed it all properly and needs another treatment.

Like @PjjI've only ever stained upvc yellow and that's only temporary and stained the odd bit of lead and just used a bit of oxalic to remove it.

Also anything made from polyester is immune to bleaching like my black fleece which I use and football tshirt material tops.

We clean pebble dash houses , painted render , commercial plastic coated aluminium warehouses and never have any problems sounds like it’s been used neat I do my own house every few years that’s grey granite pebble dash on un painted grey render and it’s never gone yellow it only does  that on white UPVC , yes you should rinse but it’s not absolutely nessasary on render , we dont rinse roof jobs and again never have any issues at all . 
I don't rinse roofs myself either buddy, just scrape/wash the roof and spray chemical after and walk away, brick paving and concrete slabs don't necessarily need rinsed either I agreee with tha

youve sprayed hypo on a pebbledashed or rendered wall and walk away ? I was alway taught to take walls two walls at a time so the stuff doesn't beat you and dry in on you, that way you can spray both with hypo and by the time you've sprayed the second wall the first is ready for rinsing. and I've been called to jobs before where somebody that has slashed my price in half have undertaken the job and tried to spray the entire house with hypo and then try move the machine round after it, I will get you a couple of pics of it mate you'll see yourself

im not trying to be argumentative or a know it all mate but I highly doubt you've left hypo on a pebble dash without it being rinsed off

From experience on render if it looks a bit yellow/dirty you haven't killed it all properly and needs another treatment.

Like @PjjI've only ever stained upvc yellow and that's only temporary and stained the odd bit of lead and just used a bit of oxalic to remove it.

Also anything made from polyester is immune to bleaching like my black fleece which I use and football tshirt material tops.

Ask any plasterer/render man buddy they'll tell you all about it, plasters made up differently than concrete based products like roof tiles, patio slabs and brick paving

I don't rinse roofs myself either buddy, just scrape/wash the roof and spray chemical after and walk away, brick paving and concrete slabs don't necessarily need rinsed either I agreee with tha

youve sprayed hypo on a pebbledashed or rendered wall and walk away ? I was alway taught to take walls two walls at a time so the stuff doesn't beat you and dry in on you, that way you can spray both with hypo and by the time you've sprayed the second wall the first is ready for rinsing. and I've been called to jobs before where somebody that has slashed my price in half have undertaken the job and tried to spray the entire house with hypo and then try move the machine round after it, I will get you a couple of pics of it mate you'll see yourself

im not trying to be argumentative or a know it all mate but I highly doubt you've left hypo on a pebble dash without it being rinsed off
I don’t bother to rinse my own house off and that’s pebble dash never had any issues we have done literally hundreds  of houses over 18 years and never had any issues we also do some quite large commercial , sounds to me like you have killed red algi which will turn yellow/ brown and then over a day or so will disappear, I didn’t think you were trying to be controversial and neither am I Ime just commenting on our experiences over a long time . What mixtures are you using ?? Or are you using lightning cleanse ??? How many applications are you putting on just wonder if you arnt killing everything off and some of it is half dead and causing the yellowing ??? We have never had what you are describing happen and I don’t know of anyone else that has either , again Ime not criticising you just very surprised at what you have experienced. Ime very interested to see any pictures always happy to learn something new . 

Ask any plasterer/render man buddy they'll tell you all about it, plasters made up differently than concrete based products like roof tiles, patio slabs and brick paving
External walls arnt plastered they are cement render or k rend , you shouldn’t softwash any lime rendering though 

Render is nothing to do with plaster and not made of gypsum.

My own house is pebbledash and I've never bothered to rinse it as I'm lazy on my own house.

I don't understand what you are going on about doing a whole house at once.

Depending on weather etc I have done whole small 3 beds etc with a backpack and rinsed the whole lot down after.

What is this "drying in"?

If the wall dries all it means is the product won't be working which is why you lightly spray walls etc with water if it starts to get dry then rinse off after a bit of dwell time.

Render is nothing to do with plaster and not made of gypsum.

My own house is pebbledash and I've never bothered to rinse it as I'm lazy on my own house.

I don't understand what you are going on about doing a whole house at once.

Depending on weather etc I have done whole small 3 beds etc with a backpack and rinsed the whole lot down after.

What is this "drying in"?

If the wall dries all it means is the product won't be working which is why you lightly spray walls etc with water if it starts to get dry then rinse off after a bit of dwell time.
The only difference in render and plaster is that its called render on the outside and plaster on the inside, you can only put a skim coat over the top of the rough coat on the inside because you can't use skim outside as the rain would literally wash it of the wall, there's gypsum in render aswell

Cm external cleaning said:
The only difference in render and plaster is that its called render on the outside and plaster on the inside, you can only put a skim coat over the top of the rough coat on the inside because you can't use skim outside as the rain would literally wash it of the wall, there's gypsum in render aswell
Its mixed different fair enough but still has the exact same stuff in it

External walls arnt plastered they are cement render or k rend , you shouldn’t softwash any lime rendering though 
I have never had any bother with any of my walls, this was a customer who asked me to price for a wall clean, I quoted for £150 a wall 4walls and he ended up getting it done for £250, he phoned me to ask me if I could sort it there was no red or a typing like that but the walls where in bad shape, maybe they did use it neat im not sure, I usually mix 5litres with 20 of water, myself, I understand what your saying, it was an Edwardian pebbledash now that you mention it buddy, most of the older buildings are like that over here, possibly could have been lime

I have a white pebbledash do do on Tuesday its a cement based dash, what way would you do that buddy ? 

Exterior render such as k rend does not have lime gypsum in it usually but can do whereas plaster does.

Also Exterior render has added waterproof plasticisers which change the way it is affected also.

No harm can be caused cleaning k rend or pebbledash unless it's the really old lime stuff which is not common where I am at all.

Exterior render such as k rend does not have lime gypsum in it usually but can do whereas plaster does.

Also Exterior render has added waterproof plasticisers which change the way it is affected also.

No harm can be caused cleaning k rend or pebbledash unless it's the really old lime stuff which is not common where I am at all.
Screenshot_20210725-235807_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't know if that's readable buddy, but there's gypsum in all renders except krend gypsum and lime are 2 different materials mate, the only common denominator in both is calcium, lime render perhaps is the term your looking for, gypsum actually replaced lime mate as a building product

K rends silicone based mate, its the only exception  I know of

A lot of older stuff over here is edwardian dashed that would have lime surely

Exterior render such as k rend does not have lime gypsum in it usually but can do whereas plaster does. But lime gypsum is not a thing

View attachment 25200

I don't know if that's readable buddy, but there's gypsum in all renders except krend gypsum and lime are 2 different materials mate, the only common denominator in both is calcium, lime render perhaps is the term your looking for, gypsum actually replaced lime mate as a building product

K rend themselves recommend an algae cleaner and not to put hypo near it at all, they say that k rend should be cleaned with a biocide and not an acid at all, they also don't recommend using a machine to rinse it either, I suppose there wrong to but buddy

IMG_1178.PNG

IMG_1179.PNG

Your a moderator of this group fella you shouldn't be giving out false information as advice for people only starting out using hypo they'll get themselves into all sorts of bother and cost themselves a fortune 

the company themselves state that biocide should be used, how can you write that it will cause no harm when the company that makes the product states differently, read through your comments and you'll see that your writing absolute waffle about stuff you have no notion about I'm not trying to start arguments, I take your points on the upvc, I stopped using hypo on gutters as a result of my experience and started using the pink stuff, I thought I had just got lucky when I got the yellow scrubbed of them tbh but it's good to know that hypo won't cause any lasting discolouring, perhaps it's only the lime pebbledash that it does discolour mate, the house I'm talking about is probably over 100 years old, 

i have hypod a few painted houses and the hypo has ate the dirt before I've got the full wall sprayed and I didn't need to rinse it down, I've never really seen it affect paint, but I always had a fear on unpainted stuff, I started out with a man before I went out on my own and he always warned me to watch for the walls turning yellow, and I always had that in the back of my mind, when I show you the pictures you'll see for yourself earlier

when I was on about only doing a few walls at a time is how I was taught to do the dashes, I'm not saying that it's the correct way, but it's always worked for me. I just thought that it wasn't safe to do so, but again I'll take that point with me in future aswell and know that cement based stuff is fine

IMG_1180.PNG

So Benz Softwash are wrong are they although they are the best chemical supplier in the business and also Softwash for a living.

Hypo is a biocide.

K rend themselves recommend an algae cleaner and not to put hypo near it at all, they say that k rend should be cleaned with a biocide and not an acid at all, they also don't recommend using a machine to rinse it either, I suppose there wrong to but buddy

View attachment 25204

View attachment 25205
This shows exactly how much you know as you are stating that hypo is an acid and should not be used.

For a start it's an alkali and not an acid.

It is a biocide as it kills organic growth.

I can't take anyone seriously who doesn't even know the chemical make up and properties of what they are using.

That can lead to disaster as you wouldn't even understand possible chemical reactions of mixing the wrong stuff together etc.

I do happen to have a bit of knowledge about chemistry and chemical reactions so have a good idea what I'm doing lol.

View attachment 25200

Cement render does not contain plaster , it’s sand cement and water with a waterproofing assertive . Gypsum plaster is made from China clay and a few other advertises and isn’t suitable for external surfaces . 

View attachment 25204

View attachment 25205
Having spoken to  k rend  on several occasions they recommended  using Benz products lightning clenze  to be precise which  is a biocide , it’s not an acid as @Dave B has already stated , as an external  Cleaning company I would have thought you would have know the difference and how to use the various products  correctly . Hypo is not a cure all for cleaning  it’s only suitable for organic or bacterial growths it won’t clean/remove carbonatious deposits .  

Back