Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tips for velux windows?

matt1458

Hi guys, I have a few properties with velux roof windows, a couple of which have made a comment recently that their most recent clean (during the heatwave) they didn’t come up that well once dry.

One of them is a real pain as they’re really hard to access and see what you’re doing at the same time.

Does anyone have any tips for WFP on velux that I’m most likely missing? Some of the roof pitches are particularly shallow so when rinsing it’s tricky to keep the flow running down the glass and not just sitting there ?

Any pro tips gratefully received, rarely get any comments about the windows themselves but these ruddy veluxes are becoming the Bain of my life!!

It's a case of giving them a good soaking, thorough clean and then thorough rinse. Also, longer poles will help you immensely.

If you're having trouble seeing the velux windows, then tell the customer that you'll clean them the best you can. They can't moan at you for having tried.

Good luck.

Tell all new potential clients there is no guarantee on veluxs windows due either not being able to see them properly or awkward angle/access. Then you can always refer back to the conversation if not perfect. 

It's a case of giving them a good soaking, thorough clean and then thorough rinse. Also, longer poles will help you immensely.

If you're having trouble seeing the velux windows, then tell the customer that you'll clean them the best you can. They can't moan at you for having tried.

Good luck.
Thank you, that makes sense. One particular one has to be done off the top of a flat roof and still with a 35ft pole at full tilt.

Might be a daft question but would a rinse bar be useful? The issue with a couple is that due to the angles it’s really tricky to balance the pole off the glass and rinse without wobbling around like a numpty

Hi guys, I have a few properties with velux roof windows, a couple of which have made a comment recently that their most recent clean (during the heatwave) they didn’t come up that well once dry.

One of them is a real pain as they’re really hard to access and see what you’re doing at the same time.

Does anyone have any tips for WFP on velux that I’m most likely missing? Some of the roof pitches are particularly shallow so when rinsing it’s tricky to keep the flow running down the glass and not just sitting there ?

Any pro tips gratefully received, rarely get any comments about the windows themselves but these ruddy veluxes are becoming the Bain of my life!!
They are a pain and I don't have any on my round that aren't within distance of sight.

I have them at home and they never stay clean because of birds and road crime

I just trad mine internally and rotate into their cleaning position

Last edited by a moderator:
They are a pain and I don't have any on my round that aren't withindistance of sight.

I have them at home and they never stay clean because of birds and road crime

I just trad mine internally and rotate into their cleaning position
That might be the best way tbh, was trying to avoid doing it internally so as not to be at the mercy of them being in, but if it’s that vs going back then that may be the best way

Most velux windows are a pain it’s difficult /impossible to see them properly when you think they are clean give them another half dozen rubs with the brush , try using a longer pole and don’t extend the top section this will help  to be able to apply a bit more pressure on the glass then a thorough rinse , as most have said we always tell customers we will do our best but cannot guarantee it will be perfect , having said that I can only think of a couple of complaints we have had and we do unfortunately have a lot of them on our rounds ????

That might be the best way tbh, was trying to avoid doing it internally so as not to be at the mercy of them being in, but if it’s that vs going back then that may be the best way
 I know two chaps locally who don't touch them and tell the customers they are classed as roof cleaning because they make up part of the roof

Thank you, that makes sense. One particular one has to be done off the top of a flat roof and still with a 35ft pole at full tilt.

Might be a daft question but would a rinse bar be useful? The issue with a couple is that due to the angles it’s really tricky to balance the pole off the glass and rinse without wobbling around like a numpty
I tried many rinse bars including the facelift version and threw it away in favour of my standard pencil jets as the rinse bar clogged up or the flow wasn't enough in my opinion

I tell customers I will give them a clean, but because they face the sky everything floating in the air just lands on them n they get dirty quicker n they are awkward to do.

Thank you all, as ever you’ve put my mind at ease as it was making me concerned I was doing something wrong.

I’ll have another crack at them later this week and see how we go, but feel more confident telling the customer it’s not a guaranteed perfect job now.

Didn’t help with one that the last time I went they’d had the roof cleaned the day before so I’d imagine it was a right mess if you could get close enough to see properly.

Either way at least I’m not missing anything crazy obvious I should be doing ??

Don't worry so much, it sounds to me like you're over egging the pudding. Standing on a flat roof with a 35' pole for a velux is above and beyond the call of duty. When quoting I would have told them I couldn't do that one because you couldn't reach. Take the advice given and inform the customer with confidence. Ps. Don't go in the house to clean the velux, just say you can't do it. Good luck....

I have found that being honest with a customer is the best policy. I haven't been going very long and on about my 4th job that I had visited to quote I realised I couldn't reach an upstairs bedroom window as it was above a big extension and my 27ft pole wouldn't reach by about 4 ft let alone allow me to to get anywhere near the sill from the ground! I was megga embarrassed, I texted her as she wasn't home when I did the job to explain. She was fine about it (I did reduce the price by the window that I couldn't clean). I just did her 2nd clean today and texted last nigh to check it was OK not to do bedroom window and she was fine.

I also quoted one a couple of weeks ago with 4 velux windows on an extension, I could reach 2 but other 2 were facing next door with a 3 ft gap between side of building and fence. No chance of reaching them, I guess you could work of a ladder but that defeats the purpose of wfp and isn't safe (IMHO). I explained and she was fine about it.

I have found that being honest with a customer is the best policy. I haven't been going very long and on about my 4th job that I had visited to quote I realised I couldn't reach an upstairs bedroom window as it was above a big extension and my 27ft pole wouldn't reach by about 4 ft let alone allow me to to get anywhere near the sill from the ground! I was megga embarrassed, I texted her as she wasn't home when I did the job to explain. She was fine about it (I did reduce the price by the window that I couldn't clean). I just did her 2nd clean today and texted last nigh to check it was OK not to do bedroom window and she was fine.

I also quoted one a couple of weeks ago with 4 velux windows on an extension, I could reach 2 but other 2 were facing next door with a 3 ft gap between side of building and fence. No chance of reaching them, I guess you could work of a ladder but that defeats the purpose of wfp and isn't safe (IMHO). I explained and she was fine about it.
Sounds like you are a selective window cleaner ?????

I rarely have a problem with Velux windows.  I use a Supreme Dupont Tapertec Brush, a short Gooseneck/swivel and 100 degree fan jets for all my maintenance washes. I find Veluxes very simple to work on except for when they are at a long distance and/or at an awkward position to access.

My technique : I stand at a five o'clock position in relation to the window at twelve o'clock. Couple of sweeps across the top to build a good head of water with the brush in either horizontal or vertical orientation. Vertical top to bottom agitation of the frame and glass with the brush horizontal, moving across and back, usually about three times.

With brush in the vertical orientation. Starting at the top, swipe across and back about three times to build a head of water. Drop it down a level, swipe across and back. Continue to the bottom (like a descending wiper blade).

Finished. Usually no more than twenty or thirty seconds.

On hot days the muck really bakes on hard. You may have to soften it up first my a scrub and a rinse and then come back to it later and give it another go.

Is there a possibility that the inside was dirty?

I rarely have a problem with Velux windows.  I use a Supreme Dupont Tapertec Brush, a short Gooseneck/swivel and 100 degree fan jets for all my maintenance washes. I find Veluxes very simple to work on except for when they are at a long distance and/or at an awkward position to access.

My technique : I stand at a five o'clock position in relation to the window at twelve o'clock. Couple of sweeps across the top to build a good head of water with the brush in either horizontal or vertical orientation. Vertical top to bottom agitation of the frame and glass, moving across and back, usually about three times.

With brush in the vertical orientation. Starting at the top, swipe across and back about three times to build a head of water. Drop it down a level, swipe across and back. Continue to the bottom (like a descending wiper blade).

Finished. Usually no more than twenty or thirty seconds.
Thank you for sharing your technique. I keep meaning to order fan jets to try them out, despite making a brush order recently I still managed to forget and order pencil jets ?

Was wondering whether brush might make a difference, I started off with a dupont brush then changed it for a super lite (possibly, can’t remember) medium to see what the difference was, maybe it’s time to go back, although I  guess brush choice is a whole new conversation!

Sounds like you are a selective window cleaner ?????
Too right mate. Select jobs I can do ?. I even have a laser distance finder to check I can reach now ?.

Always deliver at least what you promise, never under deliver ?.

I am gaining experience on every clean, onto my first repeats this week, wow so much easier. Taking less than half the 1st clean time. Still focus on quality but a little more speed is coming. It helps knowing the houses and having a better methodology than I had at first, a fairly standard order of cleaning helps me too. 

On hot days the muck really bakes on hard. You may have to soften it up first my a scrub and a rinse and then come back to it later and give it another go.

Is there a possibility that the inside was dirty?
One in particular is a large house so might be worth going over once then coming back to to finish up off as you say. I believe the roof had been softwashed or something similar in the same week, the day before I went round so I’ve heard. It’s a large house and the customer is really quite particular… tbh I’d far rather a couple of two up two downs and let this one go if I could!

The only brush I used for several years was the Superlight Medium Mixed Sill Brush. I found it very good but it's now discontinued or is going to be as far as I know. It's not quite as light as the Supreme Tapertec which I find cleans just as well. I like the Extreme Sill Brush but it's not good for cleaning out spider nests in corners. I can't comment from experience on pencil jets. I've never entertained them as they make little sense to me.

Too right mate. Select jobs I can do ?. I even have a laser distance finder to check I can reach now ?.

Always deliver at least what you promise, never under deliver ?.

I am gaining experience on every clean, onto my first repeats this week, wow so much easier. Taking less than half the 1st clean time. Still focus on quality but a little more speed is coming. It helps knowing the houses and having a better methodology than I had at first, a fairly standard order of cleaning helps me too. 
Ched working night's aswell

20210726_230134.jpg

Latest Posts

Back