Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can’t stop pre filter leaking

McDirty

Evening all. I’m having a nightmare getting my pre filter to stop leaking. It’s leaking from where the threads are on either side. I put loads of ptfe on and it leaked so I took it apart and put loads more on and it still leaks. Is it just a case of keep putting ptfe on or is there a trick I need to learn?

4CE6E035-8CBC-488A-B9B9-3CBB4C4F1C7B.jpeg

Usually plenty of PTFE and they are ok , you can also get a liquid version that you can put on as well . Practice makes perfect ???

Usually plenty of PTFE and they are ok , you can also get a liquid version that you can put on as well . Practice makes perfect ???
I have liquid ptfe here. I’ve used it on all our radiators but I wasn’t sure it would react with the plastic and actually cure. I know it cures at different rates with different metals.

I’ll just go mad with the tape tomorrow 

Evening all. I’m having a nightmare getting my pre filter to stop leaking. It’s leaking from where the threads are on either side. I put loads of ptfe on and it leaked so I took it apart and put loads more on and it still leaks. Is it just a case of keep putting ptfe on or is there a trick I need to learn?

View attachment 25212
Is the tubing cut cleanly and square

Fouled up fittings

Grip dirt fouling the connection

Over tightened fittings

Is it resting on something or just hanging by a hook?
It’s hanging on a bracket.

it’s leaking from the threaded fittings

Is the tubing cut cleanly and square

Fouled up fittings

Grip dirt fouling the connection

Over tightened fittings
The tubing is cut clean and square using a jg barrier pipe slice. It’s cuts this pipe lovely. All brand new pipe and fittings. Only fittings that are leaking are the 2 threaded ones in the filter housing…

The tubing is cut clean and square using a jg barrier pipe slice. It’s cuts this pipe lovely. All brand new pipe and fittings. Only fittings that are leaking are the 2 threaded ones in the filter housing…
You could use some boss white on the threads.

Get some Gas rated thicker PTFE tape

Clean all the threads, reapply the thicker tape in the correct orientation and add a little bead of washing up liquid on the ptfe tape and tighten slowly but firmly

The washing up liquid will help prevent the tape dragging and mushrooming

Get some Gas rated thicker PTFE tape

Clean all the threads, reapply the thicker tape in the correct orientation and add a little bead of washing up liquid on the ptfe tape and tighten slowly but firmly

The washing up liquid will help prevent the tape dragging and mushrooming
Thanks Apw1210. I’ll pick some up in the morning 

Thanks Apw1210. I’ll pick some up in the morning 
Just a thought, are they tapered thread or do they have an O ring boss fittings within the housing head?

They may rely on friction alone and the ptfe tape may be expanded the fittings

Just a thought, are they tapered thread or do they have an O ring boss fittings within the housing head?

They may rely on friction alone and the ptfe tape may be expanded the fittings
They’re not tapered as far as I can tell. I had them in without ptfe first as that’s how they came. The sediment filters came pre fitted and are perfect 

They’re not tapered as far as I can tell. I had them in without ptfe first as that’s how they came. The sediment filters came pre fitted and are perfect 
No problem, try the thicker tape mate, also a correct size spanner when tightening stops them deforming.

Enjoy the rest of your evening

I e been thinking on this since yesterday. There is a lot of weight on this small brackets. Are there any other fixings I can get to hold it better? Or should I just pack behind the blue part of the housing so it can’t move backwards?
Here's an AW hack.

Get a sheet of chipboard or plywood just bigger than the filter housing and mount two floplast downpipe brackets or order two correctly sized munsun rings from Screwfix

Generally this is designed and is fit for purpose

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an AW hack.

Get a sheet of chipboard or plywood just bigger than the filter housing and mount two floplast downpipe brackets or order two correctly sized munsun rings from Screwfix
I’ve got some floplast brackets here already so I’ll give that a go tomorrow. Thanks again

Here's an AW hack.

Generally this is designed and is fit for purpose
I guessed they were designed as such, I’ve seen lots just hanging like that during my research. I generally over engineer everything and wasn’t happy with they way it moved.

I just nipped out and put a floplast soil pipe bracket around it and it’s now perfect.

Back