Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sodium Hypochlorite on painted wood window frames.

OEP

Hi guys I'm new here but been in pressure washing for a little while and am expanding into render softwashing.

I had a look at a job today and it's a k-red with algae ets the usual suspects but she has expensive painted wood windows and doors. 
Will Hypo damage these or am I going to be safe just giving them several sprays down while the hypo dwells?

Picture is a set of similar windows for reference.

Thanks in advance!

windows.jpg

I am always wary of hypo on painted surfaces as I have experienced it leaving faded run lines on the paint , I would wet them down with the hose first and keep  as much of the hypo off the painted surfaces as possible and damp them down once I had applied the hypo mix . If there is any cracked or flakey paint hypo will remove it to bare wood . Any specific questions just ask , but I would be careful on painted wood just in case , I removed anodised from a door and it was a weak mix , so paint is a lot softer .

7596808F-4DFB-47D2-A09B-D748BCBC3D7C.jpeg

79A3EF06-A81E-42B4-8CB1-BD5632F762DB.jpeg

@PjjThanks for the advice!

I did a test patch on the frame and no movement from the paint so I went ahead and just kept rinsing the windows all day.

Came out lovely in the end!

@PjjThanks for the advice!

I did a test patch on the frame and no movement from the paint so I went ahead and just kept rinsing the windows all day.

Came out lovely in the end!
Jolly good , just be careful if it does  cause lighter run marks there is nothing you can do but re paint , so always worth exercising  caution and trying a bit first ? Glad it went well , hypo is a very good cleaning agent and will produce some amazing results when used right . 

Jolly good , just be careful if it does  cause lighter run marks there is nothing you can do but re paint , so always worth exercising  caution and trying a bit first ? Glad it went well , hypo is a very good cleaning agent and will produce some amazing results when used right . 
Absolutely, I'm very careful where I put it along with pre rinsing/post rinsing all plants etc. I do a lot of patio and driveway cleaning but just getting into render stuff. Need to get a wfp and roller pump but tbh don't have the capital for it right now so in a few weeks maybe.

Back