Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Natural slate roof clean

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Here a some photos of a natural slate roof treatment. Just a spray job, no brush foaming this is not necessary. The roof looked infested with organic growth, then looked dirtier as the cells exploded. This can be an issue with the customer as the roof looks worse than it was.

20210531_133729.jpg

20210531_133726.jpg

20210531_140454.jpg

20210531_140451.jpg

Looks good on the moss removal nice job done , Ime guessing you used bio on the slate ??? We generally hypo them but do bio some depending what the customer wants . 
Hi yes the roof was treated with bio. It's looking much better now as the rain is washing of the debris. Looking into getting a Doff  steam cleaner, could be good for slate roofs. I once heard about some slate roofs having a certain amount of iron in them and hypo turning them rusty.

Looks good on the moss removal nice job done , Ime guessing you used bio on the slate ??? We generally hypo them but do bio some depending what the customer wants . 
Hi yes the roof was treated with bio. It's looking much better now as the rain is washing of the debris. Looking into getting a Doff  steam cleaner, could be good for slate roofs. I once heard about some slate roofs having a certain amount of iron in them and hypo turning them rusty.

Yes it was me that posted that ??? it’s generally cheap quality slate , you can treat it with oxalic acid I think it is and that will return it to its original colour but it would be a pain having to do that on a roof . Doff are very good but expensive I don’t think you need heat for this type of cleaning it’s only normally used in Heritage stuff like old sand stone etc on national trust type properties .

Yes it was me that posted that ??? it’s generally cheap quality slate , you can treat it with oxalic acid I think it is and that will return it to its original colour but it would be a pain having to do that on a roof . Doff are very good but expensive I don’t think you need heat for this type of cleaning it’s only normally used in Heritage stuff like old sand stone etc on national trust type properties .
What are views on instant results. Steam vs pressure washing vs hypo. I have never used any of these just scrap, sweep then bio. Pressure washing has risks, steam seems softer and very effective. Hypo also carry risks.

You don't tend to get any moss on a slate roof, mostly lichen.

What are views on instant results. Steam vs pressure washing vs hypo. I have never used any of these just scrap, sweep then bio. Pressure washing has risks, steam seems softer and very effective. Hypo also carry risks.
Pressure washing gives instant clean as does  steam , hypo will also do the same but lichens will take a bit of time to die and flake  off  the roof  , bio is the slowest in my experience , any method carries risks , it’s managing the risks or reducing/eliminating them that’s key . 

Pressure washing gives instant clean as does  steam , hypo will also do the same but lichens will take a bit of time to die and flake  off  the roof  , bio is the slowest in my experience , any method carries risks , it’s managing the risks or reducing/eliminating them that’s key . 
One of my first jobs I done. Scraped the roof, swept it of, cleared out the gutters. Ready to bio the roof and the customer asks if the plants will be OK. I said yep no worries I can control the spray and keep it on the roof and the run of will go in the gutters. Gutter seals were poor leaking bio on to the flower beds. How many of you water tight check the gutters as part of your job before you any any chemicals.

One of my first jobs I done. Scraped the roof, swept it of, cleared out the gutters. Ready to bio the roof and the customer asks if the plants will be OK. I said yep no worries I can control the spray and keep it on the roof and the run of will go in the gutters. Gutter seals were poor leaking bio on to the flower beds. How many of you water tight check the gutters as part of your job before you any any chemicals.
Generally if there is a leak you will be able to see signs of water marks or run marks down the walls or tell tail signs on the ground , but we wet down the whole area before applying any chemical and again after application and have never had a problem. 

A local firm cleaned a roof for one of my customers with jet wash flooded house lol lot of damage caused customer did not pay them and the firm took them to court but defolted on court proceedings so lost case there now currently taking legal action on them for damage. Im not keen on pw ing  roofs i dont do them anyway my m8 does them with a roofer they hand scrape them every time and bio 

A guy posted video on a local FB page off moss removal he was walking down a house roof with a leaf blower and of course using his phone to record what he was doing ?

Back