Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Gutter Cleaning 101

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Jarvis

What do you include in your gutter cleaning service?

We clear the inside of the rain gutters using our Sky Vac and make sure any downpipes are clear. We also use a camera to inspect the gutters.

Do you also include, fixing any leaks? Replacing parts or some companies wash the outside as well? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly we charge £50 for a survey but tell the client we would only charge them if we don't get the job.

All downpipes are cleared and we only do minor repairs, reclip joints etc. We don't fix brackets, or replace anything though.

We would offer a fascia clean but not include it as standard.

Very similar to @Part Timer we vac the gutters out minimum price of £75 , we will put the camera up on a quote but I don’t charge for this as we get well over 95% of our quotes but will not make a special journey to quote . We unblock down pipes and make sure that water is running away , we don’t do repairs if it’s just a clip that needs doing up we will do that but that’s about it . Cleaning the outsides if the gutters is a separate  job for  us 

Very similar to @Part Timer we vac the gutters out minimum price of £75 , we will put the camera up on a quote but I don’t charge for this as we get well over 95% of our quotes but will not make a special journey to quote . We unblock down pipes and make sure that water is running away , we don’t do repairs if it’s just a clip that needs doing up we will do that but that’s about it . Cleaning the outsides if the gutters is a separate  job for  us 
Is there a science to unblocking the down pipes, asking as my guy working or me does the gutter cleaning with the sky vac and want to make sure we know how to unblock and check the down pipes from ground level and not have to get a ladder up as that seems to defeat the object of using the vac ? Or am i missing something….

Is there a science to unblocking the down pipes, asking as my guy working or me does the gutter cleaning with the sky vac and want to make sure we know how to unblock and check the down pipes from ground level and not have to get a ladder up as that seems to defeat the object of using the vac ? Or am i missing something….
It’s something that comes with practice and experience, doing a camera survey will help and tapping downpipes ti see it they are full with water  .ladders will still be needed on some jobs that’s inevitable, sometimes you have no choosiest but to take s bends apart , but with experience it’s surprising what you can get out if downpipes with a vac . 

It’s something that comes with practice and experience, doing a camera survey will help and tapping downpipes ti see it they are full with water  .ladders will still be needed on some jobs that’s inevitable, sometimes you have no choosiest but to take s bends apart , but with experience it’s surprising what you can get out if downpipes with a vac . 
As usual thanks for the advice, hopefully in 12 months ill be helping others……

Quite often it's simply perseverance to clear them and quite often quicker and physically easier to get the ladders out.

As long as the bottom of the downpipe is open you can hear and feel the air from the vac. You won't be able to if it's blocked.

We offer a free video inspections in our local post code area and show the customer the debris in the guttering (the worst parts) our service includes clear all guttering and testing the down pipes are working.

if any repairs are needed it means going up the ladders so we charge, even if it is to clip a section back in. We always inspect the whole system before we start work and show the customer any damages.

What do you include in your gutter cleaning service?

We clear the inside of the rain gutters using our Sky Vac and make sure any downpipes are clear. We also use a camera to inspect the gutters.

Do you also include, fixing any leaks? Replacing parts or some companies wash the outside as well? A read this article and wanted to ask the question. https://spotless.scot/gutter-cleaning/gutter-cleaning-a-service-that-will-save-money/
Cleaning cleaning. I'm not offering or have time from time wasting low income property maintenance jobs 

Cleaning cleaning. I'm not offering or have time from time wasting low income property maintenance jobs 
Hopefully in time we will be in the same position but from a cash flow point of view its a nice little earner till we book more high ticket earners, and surprisingly with good technicians they should be up selling roof cleaning, driveway cleaning etc at point of enquiry at the office or on site.....just a thought that might work for me and maybe not others. 

We offer a free video inspections in our local post code area and show the customer the debris in the guttering (the worst parts) our service includes clear all guttering and testing the down pipes are working.

if any repairs are needed it means going up the ladders so we charge, even if it is to clip a section back in. We always inspect the whole system before we start work and show the customer any damages.
What camera set up do you use if you don't mind me asking ?  I've had limited success, be it poor connection or struggling to see the inside of the gutters on a bright day are the norm, frustrating as hell isn't it ?

What camera set up do you use if you don't mind me asking ?  I've had limited success, be it poor connection or struggling to see the inside of the gutters on a bright day are the norm, frustrating as hell isn't it ?
You need a reasonable camera like an old gopro or an sj4000, they need to have good dynamic range to be able to see dark areas and bright at same time. If you record the footage then you can download to a computer at home and see if the camera is giving poor results or it's the monitor/phone you are using that can't cope with the sun.

Cheers for the replies lads I have an sj4000 which gives good quality video to be fair, I'm more interested in your technique, do you go solo or have a helper holding the pole for you ?

Back