Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Finger block paving

tench0771

Ive got a job to price up its the same as the middle pic its like a corse sharp sand type of thing does any one no what its called i here it can be brushed in even if its damp still witch is a bonus any help would be much appreciated and ?

Screenshot_20210820-154258_YouTube.jpg

It’s like a very course grit I have seen it but not cleaned any yet I would speak it a builders merchant to see if they sell it , Cleaning would be the same as any other block paving . 

I seem to remember either Ben at Flawless cleaning or Prestige cleaning did a vid on youtube where it wasn't normal sand. Think it was a coarser one that was ok to be brushed in when wet. Sorry not to be more helpful. 

Ill pop in and see what they say need to get price on grit before i quote job to 
Let us know, I'd be interested on a personal level to see if it can be brushed into standard block paving, we have a sloping driveway and with the biblical downpours the sand is just washing out, so if it sets that would be ideal

Let us know, I'd be interested on a personal level to see if it can be brushed into standard block paving, we have a sloping driveway and with the biblical downpours the sand is just washing out, so if it sets that would be ideal
Ive had the same sanded block paving and rain has washed it out im hoping its cheeper as i may start offering this grit instead of sand as the job can then be finished same day food for thsult ? 

It’s very expensive and only covers a small area , not used it but think that’s sand not the grit version 
 ? I can usually get 30% discount on stuff if a mate of mine can source a similar product from a supplier he uses, I could maybe try brushing so much more sand in first and then top up with something else. 

Ive had the same sanded block paving and rain has washed it out im hoping its cheeper as i may start offering this grit instead of sand as the job can then be finished same day food for thsult ? 
That would be good, at our house the driveway paths and patio are block paved and some areas are always in the shade so no point trying to seal it as I would be waiting days after a pw, shame as I have about 15ltrs of sealer

? I can usually get 30% discount on stuff if a mate of mine can source a similar product from a supplier he uses, I could maybe try brushing so much more sand in first and then top up with something else. 
We pay  about £4 for a 25 kg bag of kiln dried sand , I have tried some of theses so called setting sands and not been impressed with the results , many customers wont pay  the extra for  re sanding and say they will do it themselves , most never get around to it ???? that suites me down to the ground as it’s a pain trying to find the time on a dry day to go back .

We pay  about £4 for a 25 kg bag of kiln dried sand , I have tried some of theses so called setting sands and not been impressed with the results , many customers wont pay  the extra for  re sanding and say they will do it themselves , most never get around to it ???? that suites me down to the ground as it’s a pain trying to find the time on a dry day to go back .
I enjoy resanding, it only takes me an hour to brush in and blow the rest away with the battery blower. I give two prices like £300 for the job and £20 to resand which pays for the sand. They always go for both because the sand itself costs £20 usually. But as you say, we need a dry day. I'm moving away from PW now because I believe its too much hassle so I price all jobs higher now so I don't get them.

I enjoy resanding, it only takes me an hour to brush in and blow the rest away with the battery blower. I give two prices like £300 for the job and £20 to resand which pays for the sand. They always go for both because the sand itself costs £20 usually. But as you say, we need a dry day. I'm moving away from PW now because I believe its too much hassle so I price all jobs higher now so I don't get them.
So you are supplying the sand at cost and  spending an hour of time for free ? And the original price is very low doesn’t make good business sence   to me   

I'm new here and just getting started. Hello everyone.

The video below is of a job using grit instead of sand. There's lot's of information about it in the comments. 

It's available by the bag from garden centres. Also known as horticultural grit or potting grit. 2-6mm grade is recommended for such paving.

More info at https://www.pavingexpert.com/permeable04

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are supplying the sand at cost and  spending an hour of time for free ? And the original price is very low doesn’t make good business sence   to me   
Aye, sometimes I go back and weekiller the area aswell. I found the more times you meet a customer the more work they give you and build up a relationship. Its good business sense when first starting out but now I have too much work to handle so I'm streamlining. Remember I have only been going 4 years so I would take on anything if I could do it. I have some monoblock to fix and a portacabin to fit out with my mate and end of the month I'm helping him fit a kitchen. The windows was just a pastime at first when my windy fell off ladder and broke his shoulder and never came back. But now its my number one job and increasing every week. If I get the housing association job then I will have to ditch the advertising and concentrate on windows. In the end it doesn't really bother me what job the money comes from as long as I like doing it. Picked up another customer next to my mother's house and I don't even clean my mother's windows but he is Trad and slowly but surely they are coming over to me because they see the benefits in wfp cleaning. I believe everyone will be wfp in next 5 years up here because the councils will demand it when handing out licences. 

I usually include re sanding in the quote, maybe i should be separating them as well ? As it is a pain if you have to go back on a dry day and its more than just the cost of the sand then, its the time.

I never payed for the pw as @THL4KEL did for free only payed for the sand, but just exploring potential options to keep it stable, it's been down 21 years and looks better than some I have seen.

We had that type of setting sand that Screwfix sell that I linked earlier when was used at our last house when we had sandstone layed, personally I thought it held up well for the 2 years or so until we moved.

I never payed for the pw as @THL4KEL did for free only payed for the sand, but just exploring potential options to keep it stable, it's been down 21 years and looks better than some I have seen.

We had that type of setting sand that Screwfix sell that I linked earlier when was used at our last house when we had sandstone layed, personally I thought it held up well for the 2 years or so until we moved.
You mentioning @THL4KEL has just made me think about him haven’t seen him post for a while is he ok ???

2 hours ago, MrPaulDriver said:

I'm new here and just getting started. Hello everyone.

The video below is of a job using grit instead of sand. There's lot's of information about it in the comments. 

It's available by the bag from garden centres. Also known as horticultural grit or potting grit. 2-6mm grade is recommended for such paving.

Good video but don't like his PPE or lack of it. I thought it would be better to softwash first then begin the PW an hour later. ? I did like him using the rotary washer then the turbo lance as I usually begin with lance and finish with rotary then revert back to lance for the bits I missed. ? Grit seems easier to brush in but not sure on price, it did look like concrete sand from builders merchants at £2 odd a bag.

I was on a short training course for reinstating (making good) block paving years ago when we were fitting water meters. We were told to use kiln-dried sand brushed into the joints and vibrated in, if I remember correctly. Things might well be different now.

Back