Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

IBC tank and transfer pump

WCF

Help Support WCF:

wezza13

I’m just getting stuff ordered (completing on our house on Fri) ready for when we move and I’m just about to order a new 1000l IBC tank. What I’m wondering is - is there a transfer pump that any of you guys use that connects straight to the outlet valve on the IBC? 

The one I currently have is a submersible and, as it’s more or less permanently fixed in the IBC, I’m leaving that for my mate who is moving into this house. So I hope to get one that works without needing to be submerged.

Any suggestions are much appreciated as I need to order asap.

Cheers.

I’m just getting stuff ordered (completing on our house on Fri) ready for when we move and I’m just about to order a new 1000l IBC tank. What I’m wondering is - is there a transfer pump that any of you guys use that connects straight to the outlet valve on the IBC? 

The one I currently have is a submersible and, as it’s more or less permanently fixed in the IBC, I’m leaving that for my mate who is moving into this house. So I hope to get one that works without needing to be submerged.

Cheers.
Hiya mate I’ve just set one up this week in my back garden 600lt ibc tank with a hose lock fitting on the tape straight to a booster pump that is from x-line. My van is about 30m away and it’s pumping 1.5lt into the van in 6 seconds so very pleased with it I’ll add some pictures for you tomorrow ?

Cheers.
Get an IBC course thread camlock to 1" barb hosetail 

Then get a clarke 1" transfer pump with a short length of rigid spiral hose to the pump.

Option of using a flowswitch to stop the pump with the closing of the outlet hose

Or invest in a complete ad adblue transfer pump and hose kit.

Do not buy a cheap amazon or eBay diesel transfer system as it will rust in no time 

Hiya mate I’ve just set one up this week in my back garden 600lt ibc tank with a hose lock fitting on the tape straight to a booster pump that is from x-line. My van is about 30m away and it’s pumping 1.5lt into the van in 6 seconds so very pleased with it I’ll add some pictures for you tomorrow ?
Nice one, thanks. Look forward to seeing them. 

Get an IBC course thread camlock to 1" barb hosetail 

Then get a clarke 1" transfer pump with a short length of rigid spiral hose to the pump.

Option of using a flowswitch to stop the pump with the closing of the outlet hose

Or invest in a complete ad adblue transfer pump and hose kit.

Do not buy a cheap amazon or eBay diesel transfer system as it will rust in no time 
Thank you. I've got the connector on it with a 1" barb, so could I connect the transfer pump with a small section of my 1" transfer hose and then connect the rest of the transfer hose to the outlet of the transfer pump with a fuel pump nozzle on the end? 

Will this transfer quick enough to my tank in the van? 

Nice one, thanks. Look forward to seeing them. 

Thank you. I've got the connector on it with a 1" barb, so could I connect the transfer pump with a small section of my 1" transfer hose and then connect the rest of the transfer hose to the outlet of the transfer pump with a fuel pump nozzle on the end? 

Will this transfer quick enough to my tank in the van? 
I use a Clarke SPE1200SS unrestricted 1" in 1" out at 61lpm which suits as rushing is just poor time management in my opinion 

You can get larger volume pumps but it's up to the wife and her budget margins 

Last edited by a moderator:
 I use a simple 1" non-submersible water transfer pump. It just sits on the top of the IBC tank. I cut a hole through the tank lid with a hole saw and the suction pipe fits nice and snugly through it without having to damage the tank. I fitted a filter on the suction end. It couldn't be more simple or economical. I don't see the advantage or need for a submersible pump.

I'm also more confident in the reliability of not connecting to the tank outlet as I have absolutely no worries about potential leaks or trip hazards as everything is above the water level. My 1" pump (Clarke) transfers at the rate of 40 litres per minute through 1" reinforced transparent hose. This suits me perfectly as it gives me just the right amount of time to prepare for the next day's work ie : double check the wfp pumps are both switched off, check the TDS, switch on the processing system in the shed starting with a short backflush before switching over to processing, plug in the immersion having first ensured that the water level is above it. All done while the van tank is filling. Our checks, filling and preps for the next day are usually completed in no more than 15 minutes unless we have repairs or maintenance to do. I don't use a trigger on the hose as the van tank is only five or six paces from the pump switch. I just have to make sure I keep an eye on it for the last six or seven inches. I failed on a couple of occasions in the past and flooded the van but very rarely now☺️.

We all have our own ways of doing things, that's what keeps things interesting. It would be a boring and probably short lived forum if we all did things exactly the same.?

I use a Clarke SPE1200SS unrestricted 1" in 1" out at 61lpm which suits as rushing is just poor time management in my opinion 

You can get larger volume pumps but it's up to the wife and her budget margins 
I've looked at that Clarke pump but how would I connect the inlet and outlet hose to it? It looks like that pump has threaded connections? I wouldn't know what they're called so that I can fit my 1" hose to each bit.

I've looked at that Clarke pump but how would I connect the inlet and outlet hose to it? It looks like that pump has threaded connections? I wouldn't know what they're called so that I can fit my 1" hose to each bit.
If you read the pump description and technical listing it will say 1" BSP 

Then look at pump connectors and you'll see them 

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
 I use a simple 1" non-submersible water transfer pump. It just sits on the top of the IBC tank. I cut a hole through the tank lid with a hole saw and the suction pipe fits nice and snugly through it without having to damage the tank. I fitted a filter on the suction end. It couldn't be more simple or economical. I don't see the advantage or need for a submersible pump.

I'm also more confident in the reliability of not connecting to the tank outlet as I have absolutely no worries about potential leaks or trip hazards as everything is above the water level. My 1" pump (Clarke) transfers at the rate of 40 litres per minute through 1" reinforced transparent hose. This suits me perfectly as it gives me just the right amount of time to prepare for the next day's work ie : double check the wfp pumps are both switched off, check the TDS, switch on the processing system in the shed starting with a short backflush before switching over to processing, plug in the immersion having first ensured that the water level is above it. All done while the van tank is filling. Our checks, filling and preps for the next day are usually completed in no more than 15 minutes unless we have repairs or maintenance to do. I don't use a trigger on the hose as the van tank is only five or six paces from the pump switch. I just have to make sure I keep an eye on it for the last six or seven inches. I failed on a couple of occasions in the past and flooded the van but very rarely now☺️.

We all have our own ways of doing things, that's what keeps things interesting. It would be a boring and probably short lived forum if we all did things exactly the same.?
So how do you fill the ibc ? Through the outlet hose connected to pump?

have I misread it or am I being thick ?

sorry re read it now got it crystal clear I’m going with this method I’m setting up my ibc next week Thankyou Davy g

sorry re read it now got it crystal clear I’m going with this method I’m setting up my ibc next week Thankyou Davy g
No problem @Jamesmarshall
The IBC is filled from the processing system in the shed through a 1/4" John Guest pipe that enters through a fitting near the top of the IBC. The inlet is about 6 inches or so from the top of the IBC. It is above the water level of the tank which is controlled by a float switch connected to the booster pump and a float valve on the inlet in the tank. I fitted a 3/8" overflow and pipe about an inch above the inlet. This comes just outside the garage door so I can easily spot an overflow on the drive. I should have fitted a 1/2 inch overflow as an overflow should always be substantially bigger than an inlet.

The filling from the processor and the emptying are two entirely separate processes.
Hope this helps. ?

A transfer pump is to transfer water from the IBC to the van.

Filling an IBC from the bottom causes potential failure as the gravity of existing water in it can push out the fill fitting.

I always fill from the top cap by drilling out the pressure relief valve in the kodama cap and installing a 20mm cable gland to hold the fill hose as shown below with the red hose 

20210912_204521.jpg

20210912_204506.jpg

Thankyou those pictures and explanations are everything needed

One other question if I may apw, what is the ibc cover you have there? is that a diy addition? I don’t really want to use wood as mine will be outdoor in summer months!

My plan is to mount the 40/40 on top and pre filters and resin tank on the sides of the ibc via the metal cage

in time I’m sure it’ll be moved around as I’m always thinking of better ways and places to put things!

My photos are very busy and possibly confusing, sorry. The garage is full of tools, camping gear and stuff from my other hobbies.

My photos are very busy and possibly confusing, sorry. The garage is full of tools, camping gear and stuff from my other hobbies.
No mate not at all still very helpful by the placement of the pump and inlet etc both were helpful

Jamesmarshall said:
No mate not at all still very helpful by the placement of the pump and inlet etc both were helpful
You should see my shed it’s just as busy ?

A transfer pump is to transfer water from the IBC to the van.

Filling an IBC from the bottom causes potential failure as the gravity of existing water in it can push out the fill fitting.

I always fill from the top cap by drilling out the pressure relief valve in the kodama cap and installing a 20mm cable gland to hold the fill hose as shown below with the red hose 

View attachment 25495

View attachment 25496
I've just re-setup my RO system this weekend. I have some Pure Freedom thin tubing going into the lid (like you have). As I've now set the system up in the garage, I really can't afford to let it overflow. At my last address, it used to be setup in the back garden so didn't matter if I forgot to turn off the water supply and overflowed.

Is there any sort of cut off that I can attach to stop it overflowing once it reaches the top?

I've just re-setup my RO system this weekend. I have some Pure Freedom thin tubing going into the lid (like you have). As I've now set the system up in the garage, I really can't afford to let it overflow. At my last address, it used to be setup in the back garden so didn't matter if I forgot to turn off the water supply and overflowed.

Is there any sort of cut off that I can attach to stop it overflowing once it reaches the top?
There are various auto fill cut off systems available, it depends on your system setup, do you use a booster pump or without 

https://purefreedom.co.uk/auto-shut-off-kit.html

https://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/water-fed-equipment/pure-water-equipment/reverse-osmosis/auto-shut-off-systems/ro-autofill

Just your average Tardis 

Back