Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

IBC tank and transfer pump

Just now, wezza13 said:

I've just re-setup my RO system this weekend. I have some Pure Freedom thin tubing going into the lid (like you have). As I've now set the system up in the garage, I really can't afford to let it overflow. At my last address, it used to be setup in the back garden so didn't matter if I forgot to turn off the water supply and overflowed.

Is there any sort of cut off that I can attach to stop it overflowing once it reaches the top?

There are various auto fill cut off systems available, it depends on your system setup, do you use a booster pump or without 

https://purefreedom.co.uk/auto-shut-off-kit.html

https://www.cleaningspot.co.uk/water-fed-equipment/pure-water-equipment/reverse-osmosis/auto-shut-off-systems/ro-autofill

10 hours ago, Davy G said:

20210912_204807.jpg

20210912_204739.jpg

20210912_204900.jpg

Just your average Tardis 

If you take the inlet through the side as in my photos you can fit a float valve on the inside of the tank fitting. Mine was supplied by Streamline and is inside the tank on the smaller white pipe and fitting. I would definitely also fit a 1/2 inch overflow which would empty outside of the garage in a place that will catch your attention (larger white pipe and fitting in the photos). I have a cable float valve to switch off the processing booster pump and a mini cystern type float valve on the inlet to completely shut of the water supply shortly after. The overflow pipe needs to have a continuous fall to the outside to avoid airlocks.

Edited by Davy G

You really need a solenoid valve valve as a float valve just shuts off the exit to the Pure it wont stop the supply so the RO waste keeps flowing!!!!!

As @Apw1210 linked to or you can buy the components separately to suit your kit. Ideally use a low voltage solenoid (12v or 24v) as that's safer round water. A float switch either side or top mounted (check it can take the current that the solenoid pulls) if not add a relay. Then a power supply or if you have a little booster pump they you could use the power supply from that to power a solenoid ( buy one with appropriate voltage). 

Thanks for all advice, I’ve just bought the auto shut off kit from pure freedom. It looks pretty simple to set up. The only problem I’m encountering is the ibc outlet - where it’s connected to the Clarke pump, it leaks out of the connector. Now it’s in the garage, it’s not ideal. I’ve ordered a new connector (as the one I’m using is one that I’ve had for a while) and I’m going to try fitting it with a shedload of ptfe tape. 

Fingers crossed 🤞 

4 hours ago, wezza13 said:

Thanks for all advice, I’ve just bought the auto shut off kit from pure freedom. It looks pretty simple to set up. The only problem I’m encountering is the ibc outlet - where it’s connected to the Clarke pump, it leaks out of the connector. Now it’s in the garage, it’s not ideal. I’ve ordered a new connector (as the one I’m using is one that I’ve had for a while) and I’m going to try fitting it with a shedload of ptfe tape. 

Fingers crossed 🤞 

There is no need to go near the IBC outlet. I simply took about 5ft of the outgoing transfer hose out through a hole in the filling lid to the inlet/suction side of the pump which is sat on the tank and put the remainder of the hose onto the pump outlet for filling the van. No fittings needed other than at the pump. The open end of the transfer pipe is stowed well above water level just inside the garage door in readiness for filling the van tank and is secured from falling by a dog-clip. Everything, including the simple 40 litre per minute clean water transfer pump which sits on the top of the tank is above the water level so no risk of leaks or water damage.

My tank is in the garage as well. Alongside all my camping gear, book collection, tools and a classic motorcycle. I can't afford leaks either so I have absolutely minimised the risk.

There is a human tendency to make the simple things in life complicated. Fight it! 😁

There is a degree of unavoidable complication involved in the processing. But, the transfer from IBC to van could not be more simple. If we allow it to be.🙂

Edited by Davy G
3 hours ago, wezza13 said:

shedload of ptfe tape.

ptfe gas tape is same stuff but a bit thicker. It seems so much better at sealing to me and you don't need as many turns.

6 hours ago, ched999uk said:

ptfe gas tape is same stuff but a bit thicker. It seems so much better at sealing to me and you don't need as many turns.

Yes gas tape is great as most tank and pump fittings are course pitch threads 

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.