Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Taking back Ex-Customers

WCF

Help Support WCF:

I am root beer

Your opinions please on taking back Ex-Customers.

for myself I’ve had good and bad experiences taking back ex-customers. I have some golden customers that are still on the round to this day that have cancelled at somepoint several years earlier.

I have however some customers that cancelled not given much of a reason and then wanted to join back a few months later only for them to cancel again which of course is frustrating. I never really saw it as a problem too much as it’s custom at the end of the day and if they aren’t too bad no need to charge double for the first clean again.

but had an interesting perspective from another window cleaner that no matter the reason of they cancelled the service they don’t get back on the round.

your opinions please

In the past I have taken on ex customers, but over the years have found that most are the same the second time around ,si my policy now is if I have dumped them for what ever reason I will never take them back on . If they have canceled for a genuine reason like been made redundant,, or moving house or similar and have been ok before then yes I will take them back on , but the leave it today as they arnt dirty , or looks like it’s going to rain , we are going on holiday next week so give us a miss this time are never taken back on , Ime sure others will have different idears , but this works very well for us I have over 4,500 customers and if we get 5 a year cancel for a non genuine reason we have had a very bad year it’s very rare that this ever happens and I put that down to our strict policy on messers .  

I only define them as ex-customers if they have cancelled without reason or as above have given a daft excuse or peed me off, but some people have and are struggling with money and why would they tell me about their troubles,

perfect example a young couple cancelled me around 5 years ago saying they were moving so I thought fair enough, but I didn't think they had moved 2 weeks ago she gets in touch and tells me the reason they needed to cancel years ago was job troubles aka money issues, I took them back as they are right next to a decent chunk of work,

Just to add cleaned some jobs for the last 8 years then they cancelled because someone they knew had started up, they will not be getting back on my rounds I'm half expecting them to ask once we get into the winter. 

For me it really depends why they are an ex customer in the first place. I've had some good customers that have stopped for reasons like having a newborn and not working or loosing a job and when money has improved they have asked to be added to the round again which is no problem. On the flip side I've had a lady who rang me saying another window cleaner knocked her door saying he could clean her windows for 5 quid when I charged  £15. Surprise surprise next time i was doing all the neighbours she came out and said can I start doing hers aswell again because the other cleaner did a terrible job and didnt have a way of cleaning her velux. In the politest way I could I said I wouldnt expect anyone to be able to clean her house properly for 5 quid but unfortunately I straight away filled her space on the round with someone else so couldnt do her windows. To this day her windows are filthy and I still do all the neighbours. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Your opinions please on taking back Ex-Customers.

for myself I’ve had good and bad experiences taking back ex-customers. I have some golden customers that are still on the round to this day that have cancelled at somepoint several years earlier.

I have however some customers that cancelled not given much of a reason and then wanted to join back a few months later only for them to cancel again which of course is frustrating. I never really saw it as a problem too much as it’s custom at the end of the day and if they aren’t too bad no need to charge double for the first clean again.

but had an interesting perspective from another window cleaner that no matter the reason of they cancelled the service they don’t get back on the round.

your opinions please
Seems like a crazy thing to do in my opinion.

If they were moaners, late payers or general messers I'd forget about them all together.

Would you take back your ex wife ? NO

Took back an ex-customer today. Fair size house so quoted the job at £50 (8 weekly) which they seemed very happy with. Looked back at my records for 2015 (when I was a rookie window cleaner) & I charged £28.

TBH I can't remember why they became an ex-customer since it was so long ago but hopefully it'll work out this time...

I picked up a few five pound ones as they only have 3 windows and a pvc door. Do the rest in the area and stop and have a chat with them and will probably pick up more later on. Was even talking to an ex customer there  but never got round to ask who was cleaning his windows now, probably himself as they were all on ground level. Always wonder why ground level houses had window cleaners but now I know. Small price to pay for having quality time relaxing, folk don't have the time now.

I only define them as ex-customers if they have cancelled without reason or as above have given a daft excuse or peed me off, but some people have and are struggling with money and why would they tell me about their troubles,

perfect example a young couple cancelled me around 5 years ago saying they were moving so I thought fair enough, but I didn't think they had moved 2 weeks ago she gets in touch and tells me the reason they needed to cancel years ago was job troubles aka money issues, I took them back as they are right next to a decent chunk of work,

Just to add cleaned some jobs for the last 8 years then they cancelled because someone they knew had started up, they will not be getting back on my rounds I'm half expecting them to ask once we get into the winter. 
i had ond cancel to help a new windy,needless to say when winter came he jacked it in....they asked me to go back....no chance!

Latest Posts

Back