Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Employing someone

Adda85

Hi, I’m thinking of employing someone soon as my round is getting pretty full now, just wondering if it’s worth doing? And any advise on how to go about it? Cheers 

Hi, I’m thinking of employing someone soon as my round is getting pretty full now, just wondering if it’s worth doing? And any advise on how to go about it? Cheers 
What works for the self employed, will maybe not work once you have an employee.

For example, your prices may not count for the cost of, sick pay, accountany fees, payroll systems, employers liability insurance, employers pension contributions, lower productivity, less flexible attitude, and time for you to deal with the staff, time to deal with the additional customers etc.

So whether it is worth doing really depends on your business, but for mine I would say yes, but its allot of responsibility and hassle at times tbh. 

I have had staff doing less work than I was paying them, theft, staff swearing at me, broken equipment, damaged vans to name but few issues.

My best advice would be to ensure your business model supports the costs and time invloved, have systems in place to deal with productivity(I have daily targets), and good cash controls in place(floats, weekly cash up of cash bags, ensure only one person deals with the cash etc).

Get a contract, and training plan drawn up, and an accountant involved also, they should be able to give you a price for managing your payroll. Have clear expectations and reasonable goals you expect your staff to meet, and stick to them, start disaplinary procedures straight away if they aren't up to par.

You can also call ACAS if you have any issues, or need advise.

Another thought which you may want to concider, is put your prices up. Stay a one man band for a while, and just turn away the jobs you don't want. Work on consolidating your work with nice easy, well priced jobs.

You may be able to add the same amount of profits to your business, as you would employing, by pushing your pricing and honing your rounds, without any of the extra hassle.

What works for the self employed, will maybe not work once you have an employee.

For example, your prices may not count for the cost of, sick pay, accountany fees, payroll systems, employers liability insurance, employers pension contributions, lower productivity, less flexible attitude, and time for you to deal with the staff, time to deal with the additional customers etc.

So whether it is worth doing really depends on your business, but for mine I would say yes, but its allot of responsibility and hassle at times tbh. 

I have had staff doing less work than I was paying them, theft, staff swearing at me, broken equipment, damaged vans to name but few issues.

My best advice would be to ensure your business model supports the costs and time invloved, have systems in place to deal with productivity(I have daily targets), and good cash controls in place(floats, weekly cash up of cash bags, ensure only one person deals with the cash etc).

Get a contract, and training plan drawn up, and an accountant involved also, they should be able to give you a price for managing your payroll. Have clear expectations and reasonable goals you expect your staff to meet, and stick to them, start disaplinary procedures straight away if they aren't up to par.

You can also call ACAS if you have any issues, or need advise.

Another thought which you may want to concider, is put your prices up. Stay a one man band for a while, and just turn away the jobs you don't want. Work on consolidating your work with nice easy, well priced jobs.

You may be able to add the same amount of profits to your business, as you would employing, by pushing your pricing and honing your rounds, without any of the extra hassle.
Great reply and advice @laddergarder?

Back