Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wage amount window cleaner uk

Deanoooo

Hi guys. I work for a window cleaner and have been for the last 12 months in the UK. I feel he is ripping me off and has been for some time. We go out make around 150 a day and he only pays me £25 is that correct and most of all is that even legal.had many discussions with him about wages and his reply is “that’s the way window cleaning works” my argument is that it’s against the law to pay less than NMW. Thanks in advance. Thing is I’m planning on taking him to court for loss of earnings and having people work for him under the slave labour act

Speak to Citizens Advice before you do anything.

To employ anyone there are certain legal things that have to be done. 

Do you have a contract or is he paying you cash in hand? 

Speak to Citizens Advice they will help with legal advice.

Hi guys. I work for a window cleaner and have been for the last 12 months in the UK. I feel he is ripping me off and has been for some time. We go out make around 150 a day and he only pays me £25 is that correct and most of all is that even legal.had many discussions with him about wages and his reply is “that’s the way window cleaning works” my argument is that it’s against the law to pay less than NMW. Thanks in advance. Thing is I’m planning on taking him to court for loss of earnings and having people work for him under the slave labour act
With respect mate, you've been ripped off. Migrants get paid more for doing nothing

Start up your own business 

Are you an employee on paye or cash in hand ??? £150 between 2 people for a days work is very poor one man on his own should easily be able to do a couple of hundred a day evan in poorly paying areas , sounds like a very poor boss to me ,set up on your own would be my advice .

That was the going day rate nearly 30 years ago, if you aren't paying tax or NI and he ain't providing a wage slip which I very much doubt you are or that your tax dodging guy is, If you are willing to turn out to work and are under no duress to work for him I doubt you can take him to court for slave labour and loss of earnings, 

As @Dave B said set up on your own, you'll make far more money and be able to do things legally, there is countless posts on here on how to start out as newbie. 

How do you manage on £25 a day? If you're on benefits I think there are schemes where you can get grants to help you start up. Good luck and if you need help then use the search bar on here first.
I don’t manage it’s very very difficult mate I get a little help with tax credits and a reduced tax rate as I’m down as self employed and just work for him if you get me. I will be starting up on my own now I see the earning potential 

I don’t manage it’s very very difficult mate I get a little help with tax credits and a reduced tax rate as I’m down as self employed and just work for him if you get me. I will be starting up on my own now I see the earning potential 
The first thing you need to do is speak to someone that knows employment law because you're not self employed and the bloke you worked for owes minimum wage over the full period, also owes you holiday pay etc.

Mate, £25 a day is basically voluntary slavery, that’s not a wage. As others have said, get out and get legal advice. This guy needs to be stopped cause he’ll just do it to someone else. 

Can you afford to get yourself or borrow some ladders? I am not big on traditional window cleaning but I assume in your position WFP is out of the option for the time being. 

reduced tax rate as I’m down as self employed and just work for him if you get me. I will be starting up on my own now I see the earning potential 
Reduced tax rate???? You shouldn't be anywhere near paying tax, personal income threshold is over £10K and I don't think tax credits count to that £10K. If you are down as 'self employed' then you also have rights as IR35 could be applicable. Deffo speak to Citizen Advice as they can not only help with the legal side of things to maybe get you some back pay or at least stop the person doing what he is doing to you to more.

You have found the right place to learn most things that you need to go it alone. This forum is amazingly helpful. The search at top is good and anything you can't find just ask.

If you are still 'working' for him take note of everything - I mean kit, what tools do you/he use, I guess he mainly takes cash? If you can see how much each job is you have a pricing model to start with. See if you can understand how he charges i.e. size of house, number of windows etc. Try and gain every piece of info you can, even if it's just so you know what not to do.

Speak to your local council re startup help, see if there are are any gov schemes to help, maybe even tax credits wise there may be some support?

How do you manage on £25 a day? If you're on benefits I think there are schemes where you can get grants to help you start up. Good luck and if you need help then use the search bar on here first.
Yes the government NEA scheme is pretty good as a friend is doing it.

12 month supported scheme covering all aspects of business start up.

Business planning 

Cash flow and survival budgeting 

Advertising 

Legal 

There are some grants available but the personal loan or business bank loan scheme is a hammer blow for most applicants as you need a squeaky clean credit file and past 

Also if you're classed as self employed then you must have registered yourself as self employed with hmrc/dwp in order to get tax credits.

If you're self employed then theres no such thing as NMW. What youre effectively doing is sub-controntracting his work at £25 a day, regardless of what he earns, thats his business, you accepted £25 a day for your date rate. If you were employed then you'd have statutory employment rights.

There are 2 sides to every coin. Just depends on how its looked at

Also if you're classed as self employed then you must have registered yourself as self employed with hmrc/dwp in order to get tax credits.

If you're self employed then theres no such thing as NMW. What youre effectively doing is sub-controntracting his work at £25 a day, regardless of what he earns, thats his business, you accepted £25 a day for your date rate. If you were employed then you'd have statutory employment rights.

There are 2 sides to every coin. Just depends on how its looked at
I think where may have been coming from was he should be paid the equivalent to NMW, and doubt we are talking about more than a few hours work at £25.

Also if he is supplied the tools, training, and doesnt have control over how much the customer is charged or when where who he works for etc, he may be classed as employed if it was to go to a dispute, and would be entitled to basic rights.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/selfemployed-contractor

However the cost and grief involved in  raising a dispute like this would IMO outweigh anything potentially owed.

As previous posters have said, end the agreement, and go it alone.

I think where may have been coming from was he should be paid the equivalent to NMW, and doubt we are talking about more than a few hours work at £25.

Also if he is supplied the tools, training, and doesnt have control over how much the customer is charged or when where who he works for etc, he may be classed as employed if it was to go to a dispute, and would be entitled to basic rights.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/selfemployed-contractor

However the cost and grief involved in  raising a dispute like this would IMO outweigh anything potentially owed.

As previous posters have said, end the agreement, and go it alone.
I get that he may be considered employed, however i question why anybody would accept £25 a day to work. It doesnt make sense, i believe the hmrc/tax credits would also question it. 

If the op genuinely gets £25 a day then there i wonder is there more to the arrangement than what has been said, as it doesnt add up

I get that he may be considered employed, however i question why anybody would accept £25 a day to work. It doesnt make sense, i believe the hmrc/tax credits would also question it. 

If the op genuinely gets £25 a day then there i wonder is there more to the arrangement than what has been said, as it doesnt add up
Possibly ? as he does seem articulate enough, but some people are quiet don't like confrontation or questioning things because they lack confidence in face to face situations, the afore mentioned I can fully understand. 

Possibly ? as he does seem articulate enough, but some people are quiet don't like confrontation or questioning things because they lack confidence in face to face situations, the afore mentioned I can fully understand. 
Exactly.. I don't care and am happy to have a confrontation in the street but some guys including some on here find it hard to even door knock and canvass for work due to confidence/anxiety issues.

Sometimes you do need to say something though even if it is hard.

Back