Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Waters works hd electric reel. Belt snapped

• Thread starter Deleted member 84
  • Start date
WCF

Help Support WCF:

D

Deleted member 84

Hey can anybody help me in how I go around fixing this, is it easy to do or is the reel a right off

Thanks 

If it’s the plastic reel I think it’s a factory replacement job , if it’s hd  reel it’s a chain and you can easily replace it yourself 
Looks like it's getting binned then ?

Give Emma or Jordan a ring they are usually very good at sorting things out very good customer service . Is it under warranty ???
Yes I agree with that they are  its out of warranty tbh I've always regretted not getting the pure freedom but after 13 months of 4 day a week non abused it shouldn't be snapping

Are the pure freedom ones belt driven or chain? And can you fix them yourself if they do snap? If not I'm going back manual not worth the money for the issues after a year thanks for your help also

Hey can anybody help me in how I go around fixing this, is it easy to do or is the reel a right off

Thanks 
Look at the reel housing and it's construction.

Would be my method 

There's either an access panel on the side, base or top

The belt will be motor driven and the main reel spindle will have a belt pulley or sprocket 

Look at the reel housing and it's construction.

Would be my method 

There's either an access panel on the side, base or top

The belt will be motor driven and the main reel spindle will have a belt pulley or sprocket 
If there's a way to get in it looks an easy fix, I don't mind putting a belt on it of its something I can do but if I have to send it off and it costs £100 then I would rather have £100 in a better product.

The pure freedom electric reels what are these like if you need to change a belt is it easy to do yourself  I.e bolt a panel off and then fit the belt and then bolt panel back on. If not I think I will just go back to a manual reel for the costs involved 

Yes I agree with that they are  its out of warranty tbh I've always regretted not getting the pure freedom but after 13 months of 4 day a week non abused it shouldn't be snapping

Are the pure freedom ones belt driven or chain? And can you fix them yourself if they do snap? If not I'm going back manual not worth the money for the issues after a year thanks for your help also
have a look at the belt alpine, it might have some numbers on it which relate to the size of the belt that, you should be able to order one off the web or a good motor factor, don't know if theres a good one in brid if i'm honest.

does the reel come with a handle to use if things go nipples up?.

have a look at the belt alpine, it might have some numbers on it which relate to the size of the belt that, you should be able to order one off the web or a good motor factor, don't know if theres a good one in brid if i'm honest.

does the reel come with a handle to use if things go nipples up?.
I've got the belt out, fitting one would be a problem its just a way off getting in it all has to come apart to fit the belt,

Also there is a handle to manually pull the hose in just something I wouldn't want to use full time as the handle us flimsy and its slots into to two holes in a plastic tube, so would probably last a week ?

The pure freedom ones are chain and a pain to put a chain back on or replace it to be honest . we have 6 water works 3D reels on long term test and have had no issues at all with them and they get some serious use 8 hours a day 5 days a week since there launch . Only problem was originally the plastic centre spindles collapsed due to using hot water and the red hand sets were useless broke within a couple of weeks , but those issues have been sorted out . Pure freedom reels are nice but big and bulky . 

9C0E9028-A78E-436E-9271-E9CEDCF158F0.jpeg

815D56F7-5CD0-4E38-9C13-1238F20D6496.jpeg

6E791709-11C9-4644-94A1-543671BE2437.jpeg

587049A4-48F6-44E7-BCC5-1BC1736A9A83.jpeg

i feel your pain mate, i have an old chain driven reel from them and its been faultless however, when my son pulls his finger out (its only been a year) i should have a direct drive one as i've always felt either belt or chain is such a weak point with these reels,

my boys an engineer and the "new reel" is gathering dust at his work

i feel your pain mate, i have an old chain driven reel from them and its been faultless however, when my son pulls his finger out (its only been a year) i should have a direct drive one as i've always felt either belt or chain is such a weak point with these reels,

my boys an engineer and the "new reel" is gathering dust at his work
Lol come on Kevin get him to sort it out !!!!! And show us some pictures, from my first hand experience of most brands of electric reels ???? the gearbox driven ones are by far the worst on the market , chain and belt are ok but agree it is the weak point and getting them back on or replacing them is a right pain with any brand of reel , the pure freedom reels are nice and very heavy duty but they stupidly make the plate removable inside the reel rather than on the outside end for replacing or putting the chain back on , in my humble opinion and Ime not an engineer if the plate was on the end of the reel it would be a simple task to replace it , theses firms just dint have any common sense when they design stuff .

have a look at the belt alpine, it might have some numbers on it which relate to the size of the belt that, you should be able to order one off the web or a good motor factor, don't know if theres a 
Right I've managed to rake it apart to access the belt, so if I can get hold of a belt for it then I will get it going again. Thanks for your help.

And hopefully this will help anybody else with this issue, it's easy to get into 

20210902_181952.jpg

Lol come on Kevin get him to sort it out !!!!! And show us some pictures, from my first hand experience of most brands of electric reels ???? the gearbox driven ones are by far the worst on the market , chain and belt are ok but agree it is the weak point and getting them back on or replacing them is a right pain with any brand of reel , the pure freedom reels are nice and very heavy duty but they stupidly make the plate removable inside the reel rather than on the outside end for replacing or putting the chain back on , in my humble opinion and Ime not an engineer if the plate was on the end of the reel it would be a simple task to replace it , theses firms just dint have any common sense when they design stuff .
mines more of a problem paul, as i had to find a reel to fit on top of the tank (as clearance is tight) so i could use the side doors which would, be better for me to use on a daily basis.

as you've found with your waterworks reel the torque will twist the whole centre if its not strong enough, i've just fitted a new bathroom for sam so maybe he'll pull his finger out a bit now lol, we have talked about bushing the spindle and welding the centre shaft to stop that twisting action and a soft start option is in place

i agree that all of these reels are a make and mend do affair with very little engineering input whatsoever, 

when you say the gearbox driven reels are you refering to the vauxhall vectra windscreen wiper motor ones?

at a very high price?

mines more of a problem paul, as i had to find a reel to fit on top of the tank (as clearance is tight) so i could use the side doors which would, be better for me to use on a daily basis.

as you've found with your waterworks reel the torque will twist the whole centre if its not strong enough, i've just fitted a new bathroom for sam so maybe he'll pull his finger out a bit now lol, we have talked about bushing the spindle and welding the centre shaft to stop that twisting action and a soft start option is in place

i agree that all of these reels are a make and mend do affair with very little engineering input whatsoever, 

when you say the gearbox driven reels are you refering to the vauxhall vectra windscreen wiper motor ones?

at a very high price?
Sent you a PM ???

Right I've managed to rake it apart to access the belt, so if I can get hold of a belt for it then I will get it going again. Thanks for your help.

And hopefully this will help anybody else with this issue, it's easy to get into 

View attachment 25437
I would have thought the belt would be an off the shelf component not made to spec, I'd be onto to WaterWorks first thing to see if they can supply you with a new belt plus a spare free of charge as it's only a few weeks out of warranty otherwise they are £19.00 https://waterworkswindowcleaning.co.uk/product/powerup-3d-800t-belt/ two different sized belts though https://waterworkswindowcleaning.co.uk/product/powerup3d-htd-belt-810-5m-copy/ dependant on date of manufacture, 

I'd be interested as I'm sure other members would be, to know how you accessed the belt

Last edited by a moderator:
I was sent out a new 3d reel by WCW after my belt snapped after nearly 12 months, plus the controller problems. 
The newer reel is much faster than the previous one, different controller too.

Fingers crossed

I’d be tempted to see if they’d send out a new reel. Let us know how you get on  

View attachment 25082

I was sent out a new 3d reel by WCW after my belt snapped after nearly 12 months, plus the controller problems. 
The newer reel is much faster than the previous one, different controller too.

Fingers crossed

I’d be tempted to see if they’d send out a new reel. Let us know how you get on  

View attachment 25082
Hey mate, just called them I've paid for x2 new belts and I will keep on as a spare. I think my reel is around 15 months old.

To be honest it's the first major break down in all my time of having it so as long as I can fix it I'm happy ? 

I would have thought the belt would be an off the shelf component not made to spec, I'd be onto to WaterWorks first thing to see if they can supply you with a new belt plus a spare free of charge as it's only a few weeks out of warranty otherwise they are £19.00 https://waterworkswindowcleaning.co.uk/product/powerup-3d-800t-belt/ two different sized belts though https://waterworkswindowcleaning.co.uk/product/powerup3d-htd-belt-810-5m-copy/ dependant on date of manufacture, 

I'd be interested as I'm sure other members would be, to know how you accessed the belt
Four bolts x2 on each corner, I but tight 10 mm bolts also. Unscrew the hose part of the water outlet and it simply pulls off. 10 minute job. New belts should be here tomorrow so fingers ? 

View attachment 20210905_110651_1_1.mp4

Quick update got it all back together and working, seems alot smoother than it was before maybe greasing up the bearings helped that.

Thanks all for you help and advice and hopefully this can be a goto for anybody else that is a rough **** and splits belts ?

So I’ve just installed my third 3D reel in my van after the belt slipped off of the previous one (which replaced my original after the belt snapped). Waterworks insist it was a bad batch and it was a mistake on their part I wasn’t contact & had it replaced before it happened. They say the new reel has solved all problems. I’m dubious but can’t fault their customer service. New reel has the new motor so is a lot faster, which is nice, and also comes with the new push button rather than the old style yellow one. Hopefully third times the charm and that’s the last time I need to worry about it!

If it breaks again it’ll be refund time & I’ll be ordering a PureFreedom one. Anyone tried Ionic’s electric reel yet? ?

Latest Posts

Back