Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any female window cleaners on here?

Damo

Hi Girls & guys. 

I have a potential new franchisee and for a change it’s a female. 

I was wondering if there are any on here? 

My only concern is wether she can do a normal days work I guess. She would be using a van mounted system, hot water, extreme poles and electric reels so the setup is the easiest and lightest. I was thinking maybe she could use extreme brush heads as well to make it easier.   

My partner has helped me lots and she’s a fab cleaner so excited of the prospects of a FT female cleaner. 

Thanks. 

There is at least one female cleaner on hear but not sure that she would want that known in public , if she sees this and is comfortable Ime sure she will comment . 

Hi Girls & guys. 

I have a potential new franchisee and for a change it’s a female. 

I was wondering if there are any on here? 

My only concern is wether she can do a normal days work I guess. She would be using a van mounted system, hot water, extreme poles and electric reels so the setup is the easiest and lightest. I was thinking maybe she could use extreme brush heads as well to make it easier.   

My partner has helped me lots and she’s a fab cleaner so excited of the prospects of a FT female cleaner. 

Thanks. 
With respect i know many women window cleaners that could wee rings around most men.

They do everything including gutters high rise and have far greater attention to detail on jobs.

Why are you concerned about wether she can do a full days work? This isn’t the 1920's 

I'd be very careful in what you say here, you don't appear to have much in the way of equality or value 

Of course that's my opinion 

He’s not ‘judging’, he is asking a question. Nothing wrong with that.

As for ‘many women doing this job could run rings around most men’, very unlikely. Most men are stronger than most women, that just a plain fact whether you want to be woke about it or not.

I’m sure there are some great women windies out there, but this is an open forum, so no Damo don’t be careful about asking a question that effects your business.

Good to hear from you Damo, nice to see some of the longer term members still around ?

She would be buying a franchise from me and I have the figures that are based on what my previous guys earn. 

If I start quoting the figures and she signs up and then after 12 months she can’t hit those figures and she says I can’t work past 12 pm as my arms ache then I haven’t done my job.

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s not ‘judging’, he is asking a question. Nothing wrong with that.

As for ‘many women doing this job could run rings around most men’, very unlikely. Most men are stronger than most women, that just a plain fact whether you want to be woke about it or not.

I’m sure there are some great women windies out there, but this is an open forum, so no Damo don’t be careful about asking a question that effects your business.

Good to hear from you Damo, nice to see some of the longer term members still around ?
I do still log in and have a read but the business has taken off massively since lockdown so struggling with work/life balance at the moment. 

As for equality and value if your saw my team you’d understand I’m happy to take on any person whether they’re female/male/black/*** or disabled. 

She would be buying a franchise from me and I have the figures that are based on what my previous guys earn. 

If I start quoting the figures and she signs up and then after 12 months she can’t hit those figures and she says I can’t work past 12 pm as my arms ache then I haven’t done my job.
Could you approach her about this and explain your concerns? Explain you have no worries if she is able to do the job, you are just worried about overselling to her as you have never had a female franchisee  before. 

Thing is, only you have met her and know what’s she’s like. It’s true men are biologically setup to be stronger than woman, but that doesn’t mean all men are stronger than all woman. I know plenty of woman would could do a days graft on the windows no bother, and plenty of guys who couldn’t do 2 hours ?

I do still log in and have a read but the business has taken off massively since lockdown so struggling with work/life balance at the moment. 

As for equality and value if your saw my team you’d understand I’m happy to take on any person whether they’re female/male/black/*** or disabled. 
Good to hear mate.

Im the same for logging in and reading. However I only contribute if I can help or it’s a bit of fun. The threads where the same people are on constantly or the threads with the showing off I try to avoid now.

As for the ‘work, balance’ subject, I’ve sold off a sizeable lump of my round and gone 4 days a week and love it.

Currently laying in bed in Perranporth, Cornwall supping tea and scoffing custard creams! At 55, it’s lovely to have more time on your hands.

Good to hear your doing well ?

Could you approach her about this and explain your concerns? Explain you have no worries if she is able to do the job, you are just worried about overselling to her as you have never had a female franchisee  before. 

Thing is, only you have met her and know what’s she’s like. It’s true men are biologically setup to be stronger than woman, but that doesn’t mean all men are stronger than all woman. I know plenty of woman would could do a days graft on the windows no bother, and plenty of guys who couldn’t do 2 hours ?
I have a meeting with her tomorrow and the first question will be “how much do you want to earn?” if she quotes sky high figures then I will explain my concerns. 

I have no doubt she can do it and will probably match my guys but I’m not going to sell a lie. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear mate.

Im the same for logging in and reading. However I only contribute if I can help or it’s a bit of fun. The threads where the same people are on constantly or the threads with the showing off I try to avoid now.

As for the ‘work, balance’ subject, I’ve sold off a sizeable lump of my round and gone 4 days a week and love it.

Currently laying in bed in Perranporth, Cornwall supping tea and scoffing custard creams! At 55, it’s lovely to have more time on your hands.

Good to hear your doing well ?
I’m “Just” about there. My partner starts today officially doing the admin and I will be coming off the tools gradually from now on. I will still do some work here and there or maybe even 5 days a week but shorter days. 

I know what you mean, same old, same old lol. 

As a noob and a low fitness one with a small frame - large belly ? I have found that it's mainly my forearms that ache. I believe that is when I have to reach over connys and extensions. I would say that as long as anyone doesn't do too much too quickly then they will be fine. 

I wouldn't expect any noob to be able to work as fast or for as long as a seasoned windy. Maybe, if you can, be a little more selective about her first jobs so they are not too taxing. Give her time to build the muscles required. Treat her with respect, as you do with everyone and I am sure she will be great.  

As a noob and a low fitness one with a small frame - large belly ? I have found that it's mainly my forearms that ache. I believe that is when I have to reach over connys and extensions. I would say that as long as anyone doesn't do too much too quickly then they will be fine. 

I wouldn't expect any noob to be able to work as fast or for as long as a seasoned windy. Maybe, if you can, be a little more selective about her first jobs so they are not too taxing. Give her time to build the muscles required. Treat her with respect, as you do with everyone and I am sure she will be great.  
That’s great advice, thank you. 

I'd be very careful in what you say here, you don't appear to have much in the way of equality or value
Equality doesn't mean denying basic human biology and recognising different physical/emotional characteristics between sexes doesn't de value anyone either.  Some roles are better suited to Men than Women and vice versa and they'll always be some exceptions to the rule.  Good discussion to have.  

Equality doesn't mean denying basic human biology and recognising different physical/emotional characteristics between sexes doesn't de value anyone either.  Some roles are better suited to Men than Women and vice versa and they'll always be some exceptions to the rule.  Good discussion to have.  
That's fine mate, you post a query and therefore I'm entitled to my opinion as how I interpret what I read 

I didn't intend to offend anyone or start gender war 

You legally can't take someone's sex into the equation when deciding if they are suited to a role. Considering there sex, sexuality, sexual identity, religion, ethnicity, in any way is discrimination.

An employee has to, of course, be able to do the job, male or female.

As long as the jobs physical demands are explained, in most cases the potentially employee won't apply for jobs they know won't be suited for.

A trial period should be used to give the employee a chance to get used to the job, and give the employer an opportunity to see if they are able to do the job to a reasonable standard.

The job itself should have reasonable expectations, that most people (male or female) would be capable of carrying out and if that's not the case maybe consider reviewing how much your trying to get out of your staff, and look to make the job physically less demanding. Better pricing, smaller targets, lighter tools and equipment, rest breaks, sharing the load of the heavy work between staff etc.

One of my custys, her grand daughter is power lifter for Team GB, she doesn't look like your typical female power lifter just an average build, no doubt she could very easily cope with a great deal more than average female or male. 

One of my custys, her grand daughter is power lifter for Team GB, she doesn't look like your typical female power lifter just an average build, no doubt she could very easily cope with a great deal more than average female or male. 
And?

Thats one person. Not the case in most situations 

In terms of strength, most people, male or female would be able to build up to the requirements needed, some faster than others but there's no reason why it should be an issue after a few weeks getting used to it. 

Stamina is more important for long term in my opinion and women on average actually have men beat when it comes to stamina. I can't remember the studies but I remember females have relatively more slow twitch muscle fibres than men. That's why women are at the top of many endurance sports such as long range swimming. 

As others have said though, I think it's up to the potential franchisee to assess their own abilities as to whether they are up to it. 

At no point am I saying a woman couldn’t do the job. What I am saying is the average man would find the job easier than the average woman.

Yes stamina is important, however strength definitely comes into play. If you’re finding it easy to use the pole as opposed to slightly difficult, that will effect a person after a hard shift 

Back