Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Pump or controller

Bwfc

I have Gardiner aquatec pump but last few weeks has an annoying habit of slowing down pressure so have to turn up controller blow it out then turn down to 35-40 my normal rate, anyway few jobs later it does it again? I do have analogue controller so can't regulate pressure, do you think that could be problem? It's only a year old pump. If I have to go digital I will but have found them problematic in the past & find analogue less likely to break!

I have Gardiner aquatec pump but last few weeks has an annoying habit of slowing down pressure so have to turn up controller blow it out then turn down to 35-40 my normal rate, anyway few jobs later it does it again? I do have analogue controller so can't regulate pressure, do you think that could be problem? It's only a year old pump. If I have to go digital I will but have found them problematic in the past & find analogue less likely to break!
Good evening, Analogue and digital controllers do not alter the pressure it's only flow rate.

An Analogue controller is the most basic so in theory should be less problematic.

I'm guessing you are meaning that you have an issue with the lack of constant flow rate ? 

With any issue like this it's good to inspect your system plumbing.

Check the tank and it's outlet for any obstructions such as plastic shavings or debris 

Check all pipe work from the tank through to the reel hose and pole hose then checking brush head jets for deris or grit

You also need to be 100% satisfied that all your plumbing connections are tight and not drawing in air as air locks and water cavitation can dramatically affect your systems performance.

Do you have an inline strainer / filter before your pump that could be blocked 

Is your battery in a good serviceable state with frequent charging and capacity.

If you have an airlock it's best to turn your controllers flow to maximum and allow the water to flow for a few minutes without the pole being attached to the reel, then add the pole and do the same again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with that pump but the symptoms sound like obstruction or air leaking to me as well. I had similar symptoms in my van very recently. It had been going on for weeks and getting steadily worse. The cause was minute air leaks in the suction side joints. The remedy was to remove and discard the hose pipes coming from the tee piece on the feed from the tank to the two separate pumps. This I replaced with top quality reinforced transparent hose which will now allow me to see any air in the system easier. I put double hose clips on each hose end where I could. I discarded the Hozelock female quickfits and instead fitted the hose directly onto the male hozelock tap fittings. I heated the hose ends in near boiling water to soften them and to allow the clips to bite in deeper. I cleaned the Inline filters which were quite dirty but not blocked while I was at it and renewed the PTFE tape on the couple of threaded joints which I pinched up as tight as I dared. I have no doubt that the problem was caused, as I say by minute air leaks. It only takes a very small amount of air induction to cause havoc. Almost every problem I've had with similar symptoms has been because of air being drawn into the system from failing joints.

Please let us know the reason and remedy for your problem when you sort it, which you will. ?

Thanks for taking the time with your replies. I will double check all joints because it does seem like air is getting in as once has got back to normal it spits n spurts out water so something in the way or blocking, did check in line strainer seems fine

Thanks for taking the time with your replies. I will double check all joints because it does seem like air is getting in as once has got back to normal it spits n spurts out water so something in the way or blocking, did check in line strainer seems fine

I've seen many systems with faults, professionally installed and diy self builds.

Some use hoselock style garden connectors on pumps which for the most part do not seat correctly and allow air to be drawn into the system 

Also John guest style fittings which can also cause issues

The best methods for an air tight system in my opinion is 25mm pvc braided hose, heavy plastic or brass barb fittings and the use of double ear o clips or high quality jubilee branded hose clamps which are all tight 

Just remember that PTFE tape is only to be used on non tapered threads and not on barb fittings or any other type of hose connections.

Check your system and leave your findings, happy to help you get back to a normal healthy system 

I am guessing you have jubilee clips on the tank outlet and each side of the pump, these will no doubt need tightening up

The fact that it spits and spurts is usually another symptom of air. A blockage doesn't normally do that as the symptoms of a blockage are usually more stable (a reduction of flow which stays the same or worsens). I think what you're getting is spurts of air and water, which can sound quite lively. It's often accompanied by a drumming vibration at the pump and on the delivery hose to the reel.

Remember, the slightest amount of air can cause havoc. I'm fairly confident that's where the problem is.

If it is an air leak or leaks the problem will of course be ongoing no matter how much bleeding is done to the system. As air is being blown out by running the pump fast, or slow more will be coming in and so it goes on. Getting closer to a fix though I think. ??

Just a thought as you've not mentioned your setup 

Are you using a layflat or upright tank? 

Thanks for your replies, it seems okay now all I did was tighten jubilee clips around pump & it seems fine now just had to blow it out in the morning 1sy thing. Hopefully be okay now. 

The aquatec pump died today was struggling to get much pressure unless I went above 50 last couple days. Tried another controller just in case plus fuse, so frustrating things don't seem to last that long 17 months. Ordered pentair shurflo hopefully will last a little longer.

How long do yours last??

The aquatec pump died today was struggling to get much pressure unless I went above 50 last couple days. Tried another controller just in case plus fuse, so frustrating things don't seem to last that long 17 months. Ordered pentair shurflo hopefully will last a little longer.

How long do yours last??
I have aqua tech pumps pumping hot water 8 hours a day 5 days a week that are 7 years old still working fine no sign of pressure drop yet , famous last words ???

I do but still found little bit of yellow where resin has sneaked through the filter. Apparently that's getting more common

Latest update got shurflo & still wasn't working realised it was because one of these had melted I don't know why?!!

So put on new connecter & fine so other pump ok.

What confused me is why is slowly started not working? U think it would of been straight away?

IMG-20211027-WA0001.jpeg

Latest update got shurflo & still wasn't working realised it was because one of these had melted I don't know why?!!

So put on new connecter & fine so other pump ok.

What confused me is why is slowly started not working? U think it would of been straight away?

View attachment 25903
A small bit of dirt, damp or corrosion or a loose connection will cause overheating in the electrical system connections? Or possibly too much load for the connection. I doubt that's the case but it could be as that looks to me like a mains electricity connector. Though I'm by no means an expert on the subject. Be interested to see what other folk think.

Glad you got it sorted

Thanks for the update into the pool of knowledge. ?

Latest Posts

Back