Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

20 Days In, A Newbie Update

Kerby0814

Evening all, 

I'm not sure if many of you remember but I asked for some help/advice from you all and tomorrow will be exactly 20 days since I first bought my system. 

So I have canvassed, dropped a couple of leaflets, updated my website, cleaned my own windows to within an inch of there life, practiced trad and wfp and cleaned families windows for free.for the extra practice. 

So where am I now? 

I have signed up to squegee and I've found it brilliant, If I'd used a pen and paper, my kids would have scribbled on the note pad, the dog would have eaten it, or I'd have spilt my brew over it. 

I've been out canvassing, just the once , and managed to bring 5 customers for 2 hours of walking, which was around £70 of work and I would have paid a canvasser around 3x to have found the work for me. So well worth sticking on a pair of comfy shoes and trying to look smart for a few hours. I've also hammered Facebook to death which among picking up a few walk ups.

As of this evening I've now got 32 regular customers ranging from 4-8 weeks for now. I've had excellent feed back from all of my customers which has been a massive confidence boost.

I'm not the quickest but I am thorough and speed will come with time, as is already becoming the case. 

In addition to the regulars I've also managed to pick up 2 conservatory roof cleans, both went brilliantly, a Gutter Clear out (I bought a Gutter vac) and gsf clean. I also have 2 more booked in for the week after next as I'm.away next week. 

All in all its been an extremely positive start I was hoping to have around 25 regular customers by Christmas, and between 50-75 for Christmas. Things may slow down but I've added at least 1 customer per day at an average price of £15.50 which the money was pretty much bang on the top end of what I hoped to average per clean (£12-£15). 

I have also revamped my website (I used to solely do oven cleaning) and geared it more towards my exterior cleaning. I Updated Google my business and My Facebook page and added an Instagram account because I think im cool ?.

Excuse the long post, but thought it may be of use to some of you. 

I now have a list as long as my arm with things I want to do to make my life easier, but I'll save all that for another post haha. 

Thanks all that have helped, and previously asked the questions when they started out. The search bar has been incredibly useful!

Very well done, even if moving forward you gain 1 regular job a day that will be over 100 by December and if you push the vaccing as we go into the Autumn that should bump up your income nicely.

Well done @Kerby0814 its so rewarding every time you sign a new customer up when starting out.

Even after 2.5yrs i still get a twinge when i sign up a new one, you wont regret it moving forward.

To be doing add ons within your first month is a double massive ??from me.

keep moving forward and remember ther is no such thing as a stupid question, so feel free to ask away if theres anything your unsure of.

Jon

@Iron Giant @HWCS  you both and both and to the other guys for replying. 

Things are going far better than I expected and really over the moon with it. Enjoying it too (for now). 

I'm obviously still learning every day and every job as every job has been an experience whether that be access issues, window issues or even just how to price it issues. 

But every day is a school day and at the moment just taking it all in and finding my feet and what works/ doesn't work for me!

Nice job  @Kerby0814keep up the momentum of getting customer's and doing quality work and before you know it it will snowball.

A little tip for you since your just starting out make sure to ask for referrals from your clients dont be shy some customers love helping out the new guy, it makes them feel good!

Evening all, 

I'm not sure if many of you remember but I asked for some help/advice from you all and tomorrow will be exactly 20 days since I first bought my system. 

So I have canvassed, dropped a couple of leaflets, updated my website, cleaned my own windows to within an inch of there life, practiced trad and wfp and cleaned families windows for free.for the extra practice. 

So where am I now? 

I have signed up to squegee and I've found it brilliant, If I'd used a pen and paper, my kids would have scribbled on the note pad, the dog would have eaten it, or I'd have spilt my brew over it. 

I've been out canvassing, just the once , and managed to bring 5 customers for 2 hours of walking, which was around £70 of work and I would have paid a canvasser around 3x to have found the work for me. So well worth sticking on a pair of comfy shoes and trying to look smart for a few hours. I've also hammered Facebook to death which among picking up a few walk ups.

As of this evening I've now got 32 regular customers ranging from 4-8 weeks for now. I've had excellent feed back from all of my customers which has been a massive confidence boost.

I'm not the quickest but I am thorough and speed will come with time, as is already becoming the case. 

In addition to the regulars I've also managed to pick up 2 conservatory roof cleans, both went brilliantly, a Gutter Clear out (I bought a Gutter vac) and gsf clean. I also have 2 more booked in for the week after next as I'm.away next week. 

All in all its been an extremely positive start I was hoping to have around 25 regular customers by Christmas, and between 50-75 for Christmas. Things may slow down but I've added at least 1 customer per day at an average price of £15.50 which the money was pretty much bang on the top end of what I hoped to average per clean (£12-£15). 

I have also revamped my website (I used to solely do oven cleaning) and geared it more towards my exterior cleaning. I Updated Google my business and My Facebook page and added an Instagram account because I think im cool ?.

Excuse the long post, but thought it may be of use to some of you. 

I now have a list as long as my arm with things I want to do to make my life easier, but I'll save all that for another post haha. 

Thanks all that have helped, and previously asked the questions when they started out. The search bar has been incredibly useful!
I’m in the same situation as u I’m nervous got the van system cards websites set up I’m worried I’m not going to get work on my own looking at a newbie ur post has had a lovely impact on me to know that ur getting work straight away keep in touch david

this is what I’ve invested in 

7ADECD1F-C95B-44BB-9C30-3AD2913E2782.jpeg

B2912A6A-C1EF-47E1-9EC6-967C750B8514.jpeg

3C476102-9F4F-47DF-A63F-A7FD16A2BA47.jpeg

E91DDBDF-97F6-4C9C-B7A9-0AFAE0B7049E.jpeg

23418EA1-D8FB-4268-826B-B71F56DE1877.jpeg

I’m in the same situation as u I’m nervous got the van system cards websites set up I’m worried I’m not going to get work on my own looking at a newbie ur post has had a lovely impact on me to know that ur getting work straight away keep in touch david

View attachment 25507

View attachment 25508

View attachment 25509

View attachment 25510

View attachment 25511
Look good, not sure if you have the logos done yet but on back of the van if you are going to capitalise first letters do it on all i.e. the conny work should have capital letter to look same as rest. Same on business cards 'services'. I was always terrible at English but should 'services' on your business card have an apostrophy? Surely it's multiple services you offer not something belonging to service? As I say I am bad at English so could be talking out my behind.

Also the reach and wash logo - I could be wrong here but is that ionics logo and trade mark? I think you are fine if using their kit but not sure if not but I could have wrong end of stick there.

I might have tried to get phone number on back so when stuck in traffic or at lights someone could get your number or take a picy to call you later?

You are showing a website but your business cards dont have it and use a msm email address. Why not your domain email address?

Look good, not sure if you have the logos done yet but on back of the van if you are going to capitalise first letters do it on all i.e. the conny work should have capital letter to look same as rest. Same on business cards 'services'. I was always terrible at English but should 'services' on your business card have an apostrophy? Surely it's multiple services you offer not something belonging to service? As I say I am bad at English so could be talking out my behind.

Also the reach and wash logo - I could be wrong here but is that ionics logo and trade mark? I think you are fine if using their kit but not sure if not but I could have wrong end of stick there.

I might have tried to get phone number on back so when stuck in traffic or at lights someone could get your number or take a picy to call you later?

You are showing a website but your business cards dont have it and use a msm email address. Why not your domain email address?
I've always seen that reach and wash logo and hate it. Looks tacky and it's an Ionics trademark 

Looks like someone scraping a wall 

View attachment 25507

View attachment 25508

View attachment 25509

View attachment 25510

View attachment 25511
Looks very good only one word of advice if you don’t have ionics systems stuff dont use that logo and reach and wash wording as it is trade marked and ionics are very pro active with prosecuting ones using their logo without their permission or using their kit 

Back