Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Staring up from Nottingham

Davidpatrick1978

Hello guys 1st post on here I’ve gone to town on setting up for a new adventure put my life savings in to this a new van all signed up business cards polo tops with information on 

still thinking how to do business pages on Facebook and Instagram any help would be greatly appreciated will start on my house then have around 8 friends to do then a bit worried after that haven’t got any problems knocking on doors just need to get customers in to give me confidence I’m currently in a job for 22 years working in a food factory working 12 hour shifts days and nights 4 on 4 off it’s a wonder I’m still alive so I grabbed a pair of balls and had a friend who I used to work with and he said it’s great I’ve got around 260 customers in 2 years he is in Chesterfield I’m in hucknall Nottingham but I can’t believe he has that many I have 2 kids and a Morgage like most and will star by doing jobs on my 4 days off which is more than most people get in between them in around 6 months leave my factory job and go full time on window cleaning I’m 43 so I’m still in good shape and love working on my own it’s when I’m at my best I’m very ocd clean with garden car and house so this should help me anyway guys hope I get some support and hopefully some new friends to maybe meet sometime on my new adventure very down to earth guy david here is my set up for people to see if I’ve done things okay any feedback more than welcome

Hello guys 1st post on here I’ve gone to town on setting up for a new adventure put my life savings in to this a new van all signed up business cards polo tops with information on 

still thinking how to do business pages on Facebook and Instagram any help would be greatly appreciated will start on my house then have around 8 friends to do then a bit worried after that haven’t got any problems knocking on doors just need to get customers in to give me confidence I’m currently in a job for 22 years working in a food factory working 12 hour shifts days and nights 4 on 4 off it’s a wonder I’m still alive so I grabbed a pair of balls and had a friend who I used to work with and he said it’s great I’ve got around 260 customers in 2 years he is in Chesterfield I’m in hucknall Nottingham but I can’t believe he has that many I have 2 kids and a Morgage like most and will star by doing jobs on my 4 days off which is more than most people get in between them in around 6 months leave my factory job and go full time on window cleaning I’m 43 so I’m still in good shape and love working on my own it’s when I’m at my best I’m very ocd clean with garden car and house so this should help me anyway guys hope I get some support and hopefully some new friends to maybe meet sometime on my new adventure very down to earth guy david here is my set up for people to see if I’ve done things okay any feedback more than welcome
Welcome David, I think you'll find you're among friends here. Give us a little time to think about your situation and the advice will start flowing. Bit early in the morning for my brain cell.?

You've made a good start with the customers first impression having a sign-written van and a uniform. ??

yep...sign written van,uniform and decent stationary are a must these days IMO......

A LITTLE TIP......try and build work up in the affluent middle class leafy suburbs if there are any within a 15-20 min drive from your home,over time it will pay off and you ll enjoy your working day much more than the tough working class estates,you ll be able to charge more and you ll generally get less problems off these customers.....

offer to clean conny roofs,fascias,soffits,solar panels at every opportunity if you need the work and charge well for it,use facebook,canvassing,leafleting....an advert in a local parish magazine can work in your chosen area too.....

you will tend to pick up more messers,non payers,etc at first...but you ll weed them out if you stick at it

good luck

Good luck mate, hope it goes well.

Like others have said first impressions count and uniform/van will count well for you.

I play poker in Nottingham regular (well did b4 covid and will again soon), i know that Nottingham does have a huge number of window cleaning firms so dont be disheartened if it doesnt take off quickly but remember there is always work out there.

Any help or advice just ask, there is no such thing as a stupid question ?

I did business with a big metal recycling company in Ilkeston a few years back and the woman I dealt with said the out laying villages struggled to get window cleaners. This was around 5 years ago so could've changed.

Try not to be too OCD cleaning windows as speed is very important to maximise your earnings.

yep...sign written van,uniform and decent stationary are a must these days IMO......

A LITTLE TIP......try and build work up in the affluent middle class leafy suburbs if there are any within a 15-20 min drive from your home,over time it will pay off and you ll enjoy your working day much more than the tough working class estates,you ll be able to charge more and you ll generally get less problems off these customers.....

offer to clean conny roofs,fascias,soffits,solar panels at every opportunity if you need the work and charge well for it,use facebook,canvassing,leafleting....an advert in a local parish magazine can work in your chosen area too.....

you will tend to pick up more messers,non payers,etc at first...but you ll weed them out if you stick at it

good luck
Thanks mate what is best to charge I was thinking of £8 terrace 10 semi and 12 detached what is best to charge with a conservatory  

Thanks mate what is best to charge I was thinking of £8 terrace 10 semi and 12 detached what is best to charge with a conservatory  
Our minimum for a simple small terraced is £14. Front only £8. Front only is done as standard if no one in to let us through. Conservatory probably mostly around £5 unless huge, in which case priced accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! Hopefully you will get all the information you need, and don't underestimate the search facility on the forum.

Pricing wise, it might be worth having a look at this page on GreenProClean's website, I don't think these have been updated since pre-covid, so you may want to add £1, and use these as minimums unless its a VERY small amount of windows/very easy access. https://greenproclean.co.uk/window-cleaner-prices-nottingham/

And as has been said, go for the affluent villages, I have a mix of both villages and some working-class areas and I can say for sure, I work less, and get paid more doing the villages than the condensed stuff!

Papplewick and Newstead may be a good place to start as it is closeby but reasonably 'remote'. Might also be worth crossing the M1 as there is a bit of a void as you head towards alfreton that may not have been touched by other cleaners. I know some villages that I do in my area have other window cleaners refuse to come out as its not worth it for one job, so I can charge a bit more as they know its hard to get there?

My personal opinion is start with 6 weekly and add £2 on what you should charge monthly. Look at GreenProClean as he is in same area as a guide, so between his monthly and bi monthly prices more towards the bi monthly. I wouldn't charge a fixed rate based on number of bedrooms. Some new houses have very few windows and some Victorian have loads and big mullioned bays!!! I would also visit each property as you can see how easy access is and how many garden obstacles  sorry ornaments people have plus be on look out for dog mess!!!!

I have effectively a setup/packup fee per job, then a regular window and large window price for each window, I also have a price per conservatory panel not just £x, and a agro charge if necessary that goes to make total. Also when quoting if the windows look minging then add a first clean charge (maybe 50 -100% extra) as it will take significantly longer to clean. Don't be afraid of telling a customer your price it's surprising how much people will actually pay if you look and come across as professional. Aim to get 80% of your quotes, if you get 100% then you might be too cheap!

One thing you can do to get an idea of what you might charge by picking an area you want to clean in and use rightmove to do dummy quotes and see the difference - rightmove will  tell you how many bedrooms and then you might need Google Maps to see windows. I bet there will be large variances between 3 bed houses and how many windows to clean!!

Welcome! Hopefully you will get all the information you need, and don't underestimate the search facility on the forum.

Pricing wise, it might be worth having a look at this page on GreenProClean's website, I don't think these have been updated since pre-covid, so you may want to add £1, and use these as minimums unless its a VERY small amount of windows/very easy access. https://greenproclean.co.uk/window-cleaner-prices-nottingham/

And as has been said, go for the affluent villages, I have a mix of both villages and some working-class areas and I can say for sure, I work less, and get paid more doing the villages than the condensed stuff!

Papplewick and Newstead may be a good place to start as it is closeby but reasonably 'remote'. Might also be worth crossing the M1 as there is a bit of a void as you head towards alfreton that may not have been touched by other cleaners. I know some villages that I do in my area have other window cleaners refuse to come out as its not worth it for one job, so I can charge a bit more as they know its hard to get there?
Thankyou 

My personal opinion is start with 6 weekly and add £2 on what you should charge monthly. Look at GreenProClean as he is in same area as a guide, so between his monthly and bi monthly prices more towards the bi monthly. I wouldn't charge a fixed rate based on number of bedrooms. Some new houses have very few windows and some Victorian have loads and big mullioned bays!!! I would also visit each property as you can see how easy access is and how many garden obstacles  sorry ornaments people have plus be on look out for dog mess!!!!

I have effectively a setup/packup fee per job, then a regular window and large window price for each window, I also have a price per conservatory panel not just £x, and a agro charge if necessary that goes to make total. Also when quoting if the windows look minging then add a first clean charge (maybe 50 -100% extra) as it will take significantly longer to clean. Don't be afraid of telling a customer your price it's surprising how much people will actually pay if you look and come across as professional. Aim to get 80% of your quotes, if you get 100% then you might be too cheap!

One thing you can do to get an idea of what you might charge by picking an area you want to clean in and use rightmove to do dummy quotes and see the difference - rightmove will  tell you how many bedrooms and then you might need Google Maps to see windows. I bet there will be large variances between 3 bed houses and how many windows to clean!!
Thankyou 

Thankyou 

I'd one hundred percent go with 6 weekly as you suggested at a slightly higher price than 4 as the standard spacing. Perhaps 8 for some really big well paying jobs only. Perhaps 12, only for a very exceptional mansion or the like and at a very high price. I have done and still do some of each.

Loads of in depth discussions on this subject over the last few years for anyone who is prepared to take the time and effort to research. (Search bar) !

This is such an important aspect that I put hours and hours of thought into it in my early days. The difference between getting it right and not in my case adds to a difference of several thousand pounds per year.

Lovely mate! I think you won't know yourself in a few months. There are some nice middle and executive class areas of privately owned houses in your locality. I've been to Castle Donington several times to my son in law and his family. I'd have asked him to give you a chance but they already have one.

'No thanks we've already got one' is something you will be sick of hearing when you're canvassing. Push through it. It's just one of those things we have to get past.

My son in law's windy charges £16 four weekly for their straight forward detached 4 bed (no conservatory). We'd be at least £20 at 6 weekly for the same house. The space freed up in between by being 6 weekly would be simply filled in with another customer, at a similar price if it were a similar property. This filling in is where the extra money is made. This is the important detail that gets missed by a lot of people. For example, If you do just fifty jobs a week in total and gain only £2 for each one you're up by a £100 in a week. You need to recruit 50% more customers. So what!? Recruit them. It doesn't have to be done in a few weeks. I've said so many times. It's the long road ahead that's important in business. That's when the real money is made. Not just in running around to pick up frequent work to get started.

Speak with a good open and forward thinking accountant. I know I'm correct and I'm happy for my advice to be scrutinised.

My wife thought I was mad too especially when I decided to go 6 weekly instead of 4. She struggled to get her head round the logic. She didn't when we bought our fresher work van, campervan and her BMW sports car. Followed in a few short years by her spruce log cabin garden office. None of them new apart from the cabin but perfectly fine for us. Not bragging, trying to help you get the best out of your hard work.

Looks very nice but I would remove the reach and wash logo and wording as that’s an ionics trade mark and they are very pro active at prosecuting ones who use it without there permission and don’t have there kit in the van . 

Lovely mate! I think you won't know yourself in a few months. There are some nice middle and executive class areas of privately owned houses in your locality. I've been to Castle Donington several times to my son in law and his family. I'd have asked him to give you a chance but they already have one.

'No thanks we've already got one' is something you will be sick of hearing when you're canvassing. Push through it. It's just one of those things we have to get past.

My son in law's windy charges £16 four weekly for their straight forward detached 4 bed (no conservatory). We'd be at least £20 at 6 weekly for the same house. The space freed up in between by being 6 weekly would be simply filled in with another customer, at a similar price if it were a similar property. This filling in is where the extra money is made. This is the important detail that gets missed by a lot of people. For example, If you do just fifty jobs a week in total and gain only £2 for each one you're up by a £100 in a week. You need to recruit 50% more customers. So what!? Recruit them. It doesn't have to be done in a few weeks. I've said so many times. It's the long road ahead that's important in business. That's when the real money is made. Not just in running around to pick up frequent work to get started.

Speak with a good open and forward thinking accountant. I know I'm correct and I'm happy for my advice to be scrutinised.

My wife thought I was mad too especially when I decided to go 6 weekly instead of 4. She struggled to get her head round the logic. She didn't when we bought our fresher work van, campervan and her BMW sports car. Followed in a few short years by her spruce log cabin garden office. None of them new apart from the cabin but perfectly fine for us. Not bragging, trying to help you get the best out of your hard work.
Lovely no thanks that’s what I’m after a nice quality life have a good one but want to better it with commitment and hard work keep in touch  ?

want to break away when I earn around £1600 this is what I take home from factory 
Just remember at the factory your tax and national insurance has been paid before your take home. You have to factor in no holiday or sick pay, your vehicle costs, insurance, equipment wear and tear, not to mention paying your income tax and national insurance. Don't jump too early. 

All the gear and no idea.....?

Only joking!just gotta learn how to clean windows now....the van looks very professional as does your polo shirts....

I wouldn't worry about the ionics logo....I see it on loads of window cleaning vans...most do not have an ionics system in the back either....??

All the gear and no idea.....?

Only joking!just gotta learn how to clean windows now....the van looks very professional as does your polo shirts....

I wouldn't worry about the ionics logo....I see it on loads of window cleaning vans...most do not have an ionics system in the back either....??
I would worry about it as I know quite a few that have received heavy fines for using it without consent it’s a registered trade mark use it at your peril ionics are very protective of their trade marks and patents just look up their record for  court cases   ????

Hello mate and good luck. 

As a few have already stated, there maybe a few local window cleaners where you live already. 

BUT

There was probably loads of windies when they started too, and they all seem to be doing well, so why can't you? Since doing this job I have drove past a f*ck load of houses that all habe absolutely minging windows, and I live in an area that every other street seems to have a window cleaner living there. But I've still managed to start to build a customer base because there are plenty of mongers out there. Maybe through a bit of luck, but also some graft, do well on the cleans you've got lined up, get some good before and after pics, and the customers will start to come in. 

Another but of advice would be (in my opinion, especially as a new starter). Professionalism and a great first impression  is absolutely key, you dont have 200 customers that will be sending more people your way that may over look spelling mistakes and scruffiness because they know you do a great job. 

So turn up to peoples doors when canvassing looking the part, no.spelling mistakes on any leaflets, business cards or on your van, im sh*t at spelling so my other half proof reads it, and my mates at my day job scrutinise some of my ideas as what I think people may like to see and/or want isn't necessarily what the customer wants. 

There some crazy amount of knowledge on here thats worth it's weight in gold. 

Hopefully what I've said as a newbie helps mate. 

Hello mate and good luck. 

As a few have already stated, there maybe a few local window cleaners where you live already. 

BUT

There was probably loads of windies when they started too, and they all seem to be doing well, so why can't you? Since doing this job I have drove past a f*ck load of houses that all habe absolutely minging windows, and I live in an area that every other street seems to have a window cleaner living there. But I've still managed to start to build a customer base because there are plenty of mongers out there. Maybe through a bit of luck, but also some graft, do well on the cleans you've got lined up, get some good before and after pics, and the customers will start to come in. 

Another but of advice would be (in my opinion, especially as a new starter). Professionalism and a great first impression  is absolutely key, you dont have 200 customers that will be sending more people your way that may over look spelling mistakes and scruffiness because they know you do a great job. 

So turn up to peoples doors when canvassing looking the part, no.spelling mistakes on any leaflets, business cards or on your van, im sh*t at spelling so my other half proof reads it, and my mates at my day job scrutinise some of my ideas as what I think people may like to see and/or want isn't necessarily what the customer wants. 

There some crazy amount of knowledge on here thats worth it's weight in gold. 

Hopefully what I've said as a newbie helps mate. 
Thankyou mate much appreciated 

Hi David. The cleaning expo is on next saturday. Its only about an hour away from where you live. Could be worth checking out, Get some ideas and kit and a bit of inspiration. Might check it out myself

Back