Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

DIY pole protectors

Andy Hill

I've popped on an advert selling one of my poles and in the description I mentioned the pole contains pole protectors I've fitted myself (to stop the pole sections banging together when bringing them down). Somebody messaged me to ask what exactly I'd fitted so thought I'd share it.

A while ago I tried using O rings. But I found them not substantial or durable enough. And in the end didn't last long. So then I thought about using a thin piece of neoprene rubber. I was looking for a roll around 5mm wide and 3mm thick. The smallest I could find was 10mm wide and so I've cut it to the right length to wrap around each section of the poles then cut in half lengthways to make it 5mm wide. Then kept in place using a 4mm wide cable tie. Pull the cable tie as tight as possible then cut the excess (with a Stanley) completely and straight so nothing protrudes and its completely smooth. A little fiddly but once done it's lasted me a long time already and does a great job. I'll attach a picture...

Also got the neoprene rubber strip from Ebay for a few quid.

Screenshot_20210914-205511_Gallery.jpg

That’s interesting , but never had a problem with the sections banging together just slide them down at a reasonable speed and shut the clamp job done  

Similar. Never really had an issue as I'm careful as you suggest. They're just there for reassurance to potentially prolong the life of my poles. Somebody asked the question about protecting poles. So said I'd reply on the forum rather than in private message in case any one else might find it useful.

I've popped on an advert selling one of my poles and in the description I mentioned the pole contains pole protectors I've fitted myself (to stop the pole sections banging together when bringing them down). Somebody messaged me to ask what exactly I'd fitted so thought I'd share it.

A while ago I tried using O rings. But I found them not substantial or durable enough. And in the end didn't last long. So then I thought about using a thin piece of neoprene rubber. I was looking for a roll around 5mm wide and 3mm thick. The smallest I could find was 10mm wide and so I've cut it to the right length to wrap around each section of the poles then cut in half lengthways to make it 5mm wide. Then kept in place using a 4mm wide cable tie. Pull the cable tie as tight as possible then cut the excess (with a Stanley) completely and straight so nothing protrudes and its completely smooth. A little fiddly but once done it's lasted me a long time already and does a great job. I'll attach a picture...

Also got the neoprene rubber strip from Ebay for a few quid.

View attachment 25535
If you use a pole correctly and carefully you'll never have a problem.

You should never drop sections and always pull them down and ease into their home position 

Thanks for the advice, anything that prolongs the life of the poles is a good idea in my book

Thanks for the advice, anything that prolongs the life of the poles is a good idea in my book
Another negative is that using neoprene which is a porous material it will act as an abrasive wiper trapping grit and slowly over time Wearing the pole sections even more.

With respect It's not actually a solution, more an inexperienced method of avoiding the correct usage and care of equipment 

Back