Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

First attempt at Softwashing

Boomtown

Hi this is my first attempt at soft washing the mix was 17 litres of water 2.5 litres of sodium hypochlorite 15%
and 100 mil of surfactant all mixed in a backpack and sprayed on walls and left for 45 minutes and to be quit honest  theirs not much difference what am I doing wrong 

095FA5CB-F83B-438C-B080-D9EAC8DF092F.jpeg

ACB98F96-2B76-4650-A092-E29DCD7578EC.jpeg

Hi this is my first attempt at soft washing the mix was 17 litres of water 2.5 litres of sodium hypochlorite 15%
and 100 mil of surfactant all mixed in a backpack and sprayed on walls and left for 45 minutes and to be quit honest  theirs not much difference what am I doing wrong 

View attachment 25544

View attachment 25545
Your mix is to weak 4 parts water to 1 part hypo you only need 300 ml of surfactant for a neat drum of hypo 

View attachment 25544

View attachment 25545
Is that K rend ? I'm quite surprised by your long dwell time. Have you not been on a softwash course because the correct methods would of removed that in half the time 

I'd be cautious about your mixing dilution ratios as one error could be detrimental to your business 

Your mix is to weak 4 parts water to 1 part hypo you only need 300 ml of surfactant for a neat drum of hypo 
Thanks Pjj

I downloaded the soft wash app as I thought it would make things easier as a first timer 051AE91F-2ED5-4ED1-A369-DE8115030521.pngthis is the mix it suggested I’ll need to do more homework next time 

Thanks Pjj

I downloaded the soft wash app as I thought it would make things easier as a first timer View attachment 25548this is the mix it suggested I’ll need to do more homework next time 
Think you might be using a dosetron setting not one batch 4-1 for most renders k rend , concrete and painted works well. 20-45 muinit dwell times but re apply extra coats during that time to keep it wet will help if using a backpack 

99E4869C-2715-4831-920C-54CF450EC01B.jpeg

EB7DE192-37DF-4142-AB1E-90D70437E1E1.jpeg

166588DA-8939-4D70-866E-FF96A82FCB46.jpeg

D5C8E07B-5FB1-4B72-B6E1-8AA827DC0D43.jpeg

15FF81CF-C59B-4EF2-B0D9-4879CAEB19EF.jpeg

FBAADBD8-BFAF-451E-8076-EA86DA64690D.jpeg

hello @Boomtown, first of all, please don't take the umbridge with me as i am only trying to help and sometimes when i type the words can come across well, sarcastic or looking down, its not on purpose it just looks that way.

firstly that app, i have it and its a waste of time if i'm honest, it comes from america where the water is hard to very hard, theres only california which i beleive that the water is softer there. hypo works better with hard water rather than soft which is what you have so you need to compensate a bit for that, the app doesn't allow for that.

the surfactant used doesn't say which one you are using in the app, there are only two which would work with sh but here is the issue. i can buy the surfactant in either 14% or 27% or 35% strenght so the app doesn't allow for that either.

many years ago i took those same questions up with one of the guys who made the app and the response was "how far are we out"

i'll leave that parked there.

now, down to the job in hand, you didn't pre-wet did you? i can see that in the photos and for want of a better word you have driven the stains into the k rend and will be problematic to remove from now on as some stains may not come out following a re-visit.

pre wetting is something everyone needs to get their head round and its very important to the finished result, i'll try to explain it if you want.

done the right way that job should and would have been very straightforward no more than a couple of hours from start to finish (with time for a tea break inbetween).

theres no courses for softwashing with hypo that i know of in the uk and usually the knowledge comes from forums or you tube and tbh its not the best way to learn at all.

Latest Posts

Back