Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

White stains on patio after gutter clean

Cpatterson

Hi Guys, 

Wondered if anyone had ever had any white stains on a new patio after a gutter clean? Ive been using the Screwfix no nonsense degreaser for a while now and never experienced any issues. After doing a gutter clean on a 35° day i had a call back explaining that there was drip marks from the gutters. On closer inspection its only on the new patio (3mtr stretch) and not anywhere else on the property. Normally I’d put it down to efflorescence but from the clear round circular drips its more like a stain or soap sud mark.  I have tried using a stiff brush to clean but nothing else as I didn’t want to make it worse.. any suggestions? 

2F1D66DB-3D88-4AF6-AD3E-C875B3B89A07.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what to make of that I would try some water and brush see it that removes it it might be what’s left from the de greaser after the water has evaporated or try something like viral which is a lime scale remover that might help ,but rinse with plenty of water 

I got a call recently from a customer whose windows I have cleaned for many years.  Earlier in the day I had used some No Nonsense degreaser on her particularly grimy window ledges before I rinsed off the windows above them.  I only used a little with a microfibre on the already wet ledges but the runoff from the window ledges did something similar to the old bitumen type flooring beneath them and the customer hadn't been able to remove the marks.  She had already done everything I would have done by the time I got there to take a look.  Thankfully, she was more puzzled than annoyed and as it was a rented property the customer wasn't too fussed. 

However, it's made me think twice before using No Nonsense again anywhere near paved or tarmacked floors.

I got a call recently from a customer whose windows I have cleaned for many years.  Earlier in the day I had used some No Nonsense degreaser on her particularly grimy window ledges before I rinsed off the windows above them.  I only used a little with a microfibre on the already wet ledges but the runoff from the window ledges did something similar to the old bitumen type flooring beneath them and the customer hadn't been able to remove the marks.  She had already done everything I would have done by the time I got there to take a look.  Thankfully, she was more puzzled than annoyed and as it was a rented property the customer wasn't too fussed. 

However, it's made me think twice before using No Nonsense again anywhere near paved or tarmacked floors.
Hmm that’s interesting. Good to know, glad I’m not the only one who has had this with the product. I contacted the company and they have assured me that it would not be the cause of the problem. If you have had issues too then at least i have an idea of the cause. 

I'm sure I've read of at least one other window cleaner who had a similar problem with a newly tarmacked driveway following his use of it on a FSG clean and the runoff left white marks on the drive. 

If it was rinsed off the area immediately with a garden hose before being allowed to dry it would probably reduce the risk of marks.  

I've also had similar issues with ViroSol leaving marks on Indian sandstone patio stones. I don't use that any more either.

Back