Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Dirty windows noooo

Guys I’ve just cleaned my house and getting dirty water stains down the window not good as I start cleaning Friday 

View attachment 25622

View attachment 25623
Is this water fed pole or traditional 

Have you read the forum and understood scrubbing the tops of the frames, air vents and the normal water retention in the seals vents and gaps that run down the glass after a small percentage of first cleans 

Rinsing on the glass, enough water volume and technique 

Is this the first time you've cleaned them? If so you'll have to give them a really good initial clean.

You can see the brush marks on the glass. They just haven't been scrubbed well enough.

You may need to use some kind of cleaning solution on them the first time to get them up to a good standard so that you can do quick maintenance cleans going forward. 

I use Screwfix no nonsense degreaser on most first cleans / one offs and give them a very very thorough clean and rinse. After that, you can get away with a pretty quick clean as long as they're done regularly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys I’ve just cleaned my house and getting dirty water stains down the window not good as I start cleaning Friday 

View attachment 25622

View attachment 25623
Lol I think you need to practice a bit more on your own house first , looks like not enough cleaning at the top of the window and frames and vents and more running needed , once you have mastered the technique you will be fine but it will take you a bit of time to get there at the moment re cheap your work before leaving the house as you will be able to see any issues and sort them out .

Thanks guys I’m using water fed pole will try and take my time 
There's plenty of noted guidance and tips on here along with countless YouTube videos 

I wouldn't rush out to quickly to work unless you're satisfied that your level of quality and cleanliness is 100% and good enough for the paying customers.

Quality is reputation 

A first clean should take 2-3 times longer than a regular clean sometimes more, an average older 3 bed semi shouldn't take 15 minutes on a dirty first clean but there is plenty out there that knock out first cleans like regular cleans and I have seen the poor results,

In my quotes I will always tell people a first clean will take 3 times longer than a regular clean to get the frames up to standard and I charge double for the first clean.

you can see milky runs/spotting from the top frames.....looks like you have slightly oxidised frames...you need to scrub these well and rinse,go and clean a few other windows and come back and just scrub and rinse the glass and rinse just under the top rubber seal(thats why pencil jets are far superior for accurate rinsing)

wfp is a learning curve..even now i can still get a bit of spotting on the odd window and thats after 11 years of using water fed poles!?

you can see milky runs/spotting from the top frames.....looks like you have slightly oxidised frames...you need to scrub these well and rinse,go and clean a few other windows and come back and just scrub and rinse the glass and rinse just under the top rubber seal(thats why pencil jets are far superior for accurate rinsing)

wfp is a learning curve..even now i can still get a bit of spotting on the odd window and thats after 11 years of using water fed poles!?
On a first clean @Davidpatrick1978we scrub the top frame and rinse well and then clean and rinse the rest of the window and frame. We clean the rest of the windows the same way. By the time we have finished cleaning all the windows the first window we cleaned should have finished dripping down. We go back and clean and rinse the glass only making sure to keep away from the top frame. Inspect the results which could mean having to return a couple of hours later.

We purchased a trad round 16 years ago. The cleaners never touched the frames, so they were minging. We found with our inexperience of wfp that nearly all windows responded using this method. There were a couple we had to do a third time. When we came to do the second clean we scrubbed the top frame and rinsed it, then cleaned the rest of the window and rinsed the glass missing rinsing the top frame again. We had very few spotting issues on the second clean.

You may have to repeat the same process on the second clean, but usually the frames then come right.

We once had two blocks of flats to clean. They were newly built with new window frames. They were so bad that the first job was to go around a scrub and rinse all the top window frames (with vents) on all 27 flats. We could then start cleaning the windows and rinsing below each top frame, missing out the top frame on each window.

We have rather poor quality windows frames in our house and even after 16 years of wfp they still leave white streaks on south facing windows, the windows that get the brunt of the sun. (The rear windows are from the same supplier, and they don't have the same issue because they don't get the sun.)

Wait until you get windows with 2 openers above a full pane of glass below. Older windows with old seals can be a challenge.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back