Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any help gratefully received... What water softener??

WCF

Help Support WCF:

LXW

Hi - I am fairly new to the profession  - had lots of advice which has been really appreciated. BUT.... I have van mounted RO/DI system with 500 tank - my TDS reading only lasts a few weeks at zero (maybe using three tanks of water a week) - then within a day or so, goes to 2 then 3 etc - I am hammering  my resin! Water out of my outside tap is 450 (Kent = really hard water). Would it be worth me adding a water softener to the outside tap as can't afford to be replacing my resin every 3 weeks! 

I haven't changed any of my pre-filters yet as only been going since June and didn't think this would be the issue??

Thank you,

LW

Hi - I am fairly new to the profession  - had lots of advice which has been really appreciated. BUT.... I have van mounted RO/DI system with 500 tank - my TDS reading only lasts a few weeks at zero (maybe using three tanks of water a week) - then within a day or so, goes to 2 then 3 etc - I am hammering  my resin! Water out of my outside tap is 450 (Kent = really hard water). Would it be worth me adding a water softener to the outside tap as can't afford to be replacing my resin every 3 weeks! 

I haven't changed any of my pre-filters yet as only been going since June and didn't think this would be the issue??

Thank you,

LW
What have you got filtration wise is it a 4040 or a small merlin type of thing ?? What is the the reading coming out of the ro before the di ? And what size resin  vessel do you have ? 

Thank you,

LW
So at 3 x 500lts a week since June that's about 48,000 litres through your filters!!! What are your filters rated at (not RO)? How much do you flush your RO? Any idea what your tap pressure is and what is tds after RO?

Thank you,

LW
If you have a van mounted RO/DI is it actually working? Is the membrane shot as hammering resin is a big issue because you'd normally use it to polish off out flowing water at around 11ppm from the RO 

What have you got filtration wise is it a 4040 or a small merlin type of thing ?? What is the the reading coming out of the ro before the di ? And what size resin  vessel do you have ? 
Thank you Pjj for the reply - really appreciated. Errrrr..!?!?!?... I have just taken photos from my van - hope this helps? Comes out of ro at 11 after 1 x bucket before connecting to the di

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

So at 3 x 500lts a week since June that's about 48,000 litres through your filters!!! What are your filters rated at (not RO)? How much do you flush your RO? Any idea what your tap pressure is and what is tds after RO?
Thank you for replying - really appreciated... no idea I am afraid on the filter rating (but they're pretty "big"). I backflkush once a week for an hour and a half... and always run a bucket off before going from RO in to Di - goes in to the resin at around 11?? Tap pressure is good - I have a pump installed too in the van? lewis

IMG_5417.jpg

IMG_5418.jpg

If you have a van mounted RO/DI is it actually working? Is the membrane shot as hammering resin is a big issue because you'd normally use it to polish off out flowing water at around 11ppm from the RO 
I assume it is OK?... I know it initially comes out of the RO at 100 and after a bucket of water it goes down to 11 or so before I connect to the resin?... It was a brand new system when I got it.

Whilst producing pure disconnect before the DI bottle and test the water there. If it isn't around 18 your membrane might be shot or you might need a booster pump if your water pressure is low. Whilst my water is "only" in the 300's I will produce 3000 litres a week and only change my resin once every 3 or 4 months.

Also check this site for TDS creep, you might be burning resin in the early stages.

That’s a 4040 ro not sure about the size of the resin vessel but must be 11 ltr or more . I would change the resin for starters and make sure you are using a decent one speak to @doug atkinson he’s very good  make sure you fill the vessel up to the bottom of the neck and very gently tap the vessel on the ground when filling as it will settle quite a bit dont over do it though then fill it with water before putting the riser back in this will help it slide through the resin . @spruce will be able to work out your performance from the ro and tell of it needs replacing or not .

How often do you replace the pre filters ? ( in the blue housings ) 

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a 4040 ro not sure about the size of the resin vessel but must be 11 ltr or more . I would change the resin for starters and make sure you are using a decent one speak to @doug atkinson he’s very good  make sure you fill the vessel up to the bottom of the neck and very gently tap the vessel on the ground when filling as it will settle quite a bit dont over do it though then fill it with water before putting the riser back in this will help it slide through the resin . @spruce will be able to work out your performance from the ro and tell of it needs replacing or not .

How often do you replace the pre filters ? ( in the blue housings ) 
Thank you!.... I haven't changed the pre-filters yet. I use Unger resin - tbf, I don't really want to get a water softener as only got around 35 regular wdw clean clients so far, so on a budget given all the set up costs etc etc

As you answered most of my questions whilst I was replying ? it sounds like either your resin is of very poor quality or water is bypassing your resin. It also looks like you have a 40/40 R/O with 2 x 20" prefilters. 
Thank you PT!... my friend uses the same resin - he's done 70,000 litres and still at 1 TDS - will look at TDS Creep! Thank you again... I certainly can't afford changing the resin every 3 weeks! 

You could also add an additional 11ltr DI and cycle your resin so the oldest is closest to the RO and the newer resin is your main output. It will make it last a little longer. Just be sure your membrane is good first 

Thank you PT!... my friend uses the same resin - he's done 70,000 litres and still at 1 TDS - will look at TDS Creep! Thank you again... I certainly can't afford changing the resin every 3 weeks! 
Make sure your vessel is filled correctly, the riser is in place and you have no resin fouling the seating seals creating a bypass effect 

It looks like a Pure freedom system with a booster pump fitted @LXW

PF recommend and sell Hf4 membranes which works fine with boosted water pressure.

400ppm in and 11 out before r/o is a 97.25% which is on spec. Others have identified either the di vessel or your resin quality is suspect. If you're mate uses the same resin and his lasts then my first point of call would be to inspect the di vessel.

When assembling it's easy to misalign the riser tube into the screw head. Also ensure that there is a rubber o ring in the head that seals the riser tube. 

Best to check out squeeky clean dave's YouTube video on how to fill a di vessel. It's a good video which I followed myself with my last resin change.

Back