Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

100kg no problems

WCF

Help Support WCF:

HWCS

For anybody that asks "Is the skyvac Atom worth its money?"

The answer is YES YES YES, 

Roughly 150mtrs of gutters produced over 100kg of roughage pulled out today (nearly all from the front side).

The Atom never missed a single beat.

9poles and a rigid neck to reach the top. 9am start 12.30pm finish 4 10 minute smoke breaks.

20210928_123241.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For anybody that asks "Is the skyvac Atom worth its money?"

The answer is YES YES YES, 

Roughly 150mtrs of gutters produced over 100kg of roughage pulled out today (nearly all from the front side).

The Atom never missed a single beat.

9poles and a rigid neck to reach the top. 9am start 12.30pm finish 4 10 minute smoke breaks.

View attachment 25686
That’s the way to do it , you have come a long way in a very short time well done ?

Bet that was hard graft getting the higher ones over the roof, I assume you have carbon poles. Did the top downpipes just run off onto the roof below.
It was very strange the top gutters were solid with growth but the downpipes were all totally clear.

The top downpipes ran onto the lower roof and had 90 bends on the bottom, so we improvised used a ladder and poked the atom into the bottom of downpipes and put it on blow just incase there was anything in them but NOTHING

It was very strange the top gutters were solid with growth but the downpipes were all totally clear.

The top downpipes ran onto the lower roof and had 90 bends on the bottom, so we improvised used a ladder and poked the atom into the bottom of downpipes and put it on blow just incase there was anything in them but NOTHING
Wondered why the ladders were out, the drop from the top gutters looks straight so even if there was growth it would normally lift straight out. Might be easier next time to connect your WFP and just run water down the downpipes.

Do you mind me asking how much you charged? (Private message if you don't want to post it here?)

I've got 160 metres of gutter to clean out and need to give customer a quote, it's a 2 storey office block (about 20ft high). I've tried a small part of it to test with my gutter sucker junior but it wasn't up to the job at all (it's not the most powerful bit of kit but I got it when I started out and it usually does reasonably well), as it's fairly solidly embedded leaves, debris, twigs so my option might be to do it manually off a ladder (my mate isn't bothered by heights and he's happy to do it as long as I stand the ladder for him)

Cheers

Do you mind me asking how much you charged? (Private message if you don't want to post it here?)

I've got 160 metres of gutter to clean out and need to give customer a quote, it's a 2 storey office block (about 20ft high). I've tried a small part of it to test with my gutter sucker junior but it wasn't up to the job at all (it's not the most powerful bit of kit but I got it when I started out and it usually does reasonably well), as it's fairly solidly embedded leaves, debris, twigs so my option might be to do it manually off a ladder (my mate isn't bothered by heights and he's happy to do it as long as I stand the ladder for him)

Cheers
I know what @HWCS got and I very much doubt you'd get the same price ?. If you're doing it off ladders buy a stand off, some pro gutter tools, a Harris Pole and a ladder stay to hang the bucket off. Should do it comfortably in a day, well comfortably for you not your mate up the ladders. We'd be circa £500 but would vac it out in half a day easily.

Okay thanks. I've got the gutter tools,a Harris pole, a stand off and a bucket hanging thing, my ladder is slightly too short so will probably rent one for the day for about £30 (handily the tool rental place is about a hundred yards away), I was thinking of quoting  about £400 (£200 each and I'll hire the ladder out of my half), although I might have a go up the ladder myself if I'm feeling brave enough (I'm quite stocky so with me standing the ladder is not going anywhere but he's only a little fella so if he's standing it whilst I'm up there I might get a bit jittery) ?

Okay thanks. I've got the gutter tools,a Harris pole, a stand off and a bucket hanging thing, my ladder is slightly too short so will probably rent one for the day for about £30 (handily the tool rental place is about a hundred yards away), I was thinking of quoting  about £400 (£200 each and I'll hire the ladder out of my half), although I might have a go up the ladder myself if I'm feeling brave enough (I'm quite stocky so with me standing the ladder is not going anywhere but he's only a little fella so if he's standing it whilst I'm up there I might get a bit jittery) ?
Go in at your price if you're happy at that then if you don't get it you can't blame me ? We aim for a minimum of £50 a man hour so that's £100 an hour for the 2 of us and tend to find it's easily achievable. Don't know the South Wales gutter market that well though.

I think it's reasonable, I've done a lot of work for landlords (cleaning, gardening etc) and they're all different so will see what he says. Your prices seem high to me but if you're getting the work then they're the right price. Pricing is definitely my downfall, my many feedbacks I get all say "great job at a great price" ?

** Although someone just replied to me from a quote I gave yesterday, 2 lengths of guttering cleaning out on a terrace house back and front, pretty manky and awkward access, probably about 3 hours work, I quoted £70, he's just got back to me to say "no thanks" he's had a quote for £40 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for asking about the price but i wont be giving it out ?

I see by your reply that your gonna get a mate to help remember youll need employers liability aswell and public liability, if not and your mate falls you risk losing ya house, youll need a waste carriers license unless your leaving muck on sight, the £30 hire of the ladder may be £36 if theyre vat regged. 

Why are you paying for the ladder out of 'your half' because if your billing the job youll be laying the tax on the whole £400 not just your 'half'

Lots to think about mate, im not trying to take the p155 but @Part Timers £500 dont look so bad now does it. 

For what your asking about im gonna be about £500 too

I think it's reasonable, I've done a lot of work for landlords (cleaning, gardening etc) and they're all different so will see what he says. Your prices seem high to me but if you're getting the work then they're the right price. Pricing is definitely my downfall, my many feedbacks I get all say "great job at a great price" ?

** Although someone just replied to me from a quote I gave yesterday, 2 lengths of guttering cleaning out on a terrace house back and front, pretty manky and awkward access, probably about 3 hours work, I quoted £70, he's just got back to me to say "no thanks" he's had a quote for £40 
Tend to find prices for residential work is to low up here.

Stick to your pricing that sounds reasonable to me but not all will see it that way , I agree with @Part Timer on the gutter pricing but again sell the service to the customer explain what you will do empty gutters unblock down pipes , then  water test to make sure its got free flow of water etc  but if you are happy with £400 go for it that’s not bad price and it’s all experience gained that will benefit you in the long run . 

employers liability aswell and public liability, if not and your mate falls you risk losing ya house,
Re that comment about liability, he's my mate but he's also in the same business (I should have clarified that) he does roofing/labouring/gardening etc on his own and for other/with other people, in this case the customer would be paying us separately (2 separate payments to each of our bank accounts - he's done that before for other work where I've worked with someone) so I wouldn't be employing him as we're essentially just sharing the job, I'm not a lawyer obviously but that's above board isn't it? Happy to be corrected 

I have a waste licence and public liability insurance

For future reference if you do work alongside someone that has their own business, insurance etc if you're paying him you need employers liability if you're onsite at the same time. His insurance won't cover him and whilst you're not really employing him you would need to speak to your insurance and tell them it's a labour only policy you require.

If he does it on his own, you're not on site, using his own equipment, method etc then you don't need it.

Re that comment about liability, he's my mate but he's also in the same business (I should have clarified that) he does roofing/labouring/gardening etc on his own and for other/with other people, in this case the customer would be paying us separately (2 separate payments to each of our bank accounts - he's done that before for other work where I've worked with someone) so I wouldn't be employing him as we're essentially just sharing the job, I'm not a lawyer obviously but that's above board isn't it? Happy to be corrected 

I have a waste licence and public liability insurance
I would say insurance wise it's an iffy one! i.e. you are hiring the ladder and he is going up it. Say he falls, who's fault is it? I know he's a mate but that won't protect you if, god forbid, something bad happens. 

Might be worth asking your insurance company to be on safe side?

For future reference if you do work alongside someone that has their own business, insurance etc if you're paying him you need employers liability if you're onsite at the same time. His insurance won't cover him and whilst you're not really employing him you would need to speak to your insurance and tell them it's a labour only policy you require.

If he does it on his own, you're not on site, using his own equipment, method etc then you don't need it.
I always get asked if I employ any bona fide sub contractors. Do you think this is the sort of thing they're looking for in that?

I always get asked if I employ any bona fide sub contractors. Do you think this is the sort of thing they're looking for in that?
Very strange for PT not to have replied. Please tell me he hasn’t been banned for disagreeing with PJJ because that thread is 6 of one half dozen of the other. Especially after how much he’s contributed to the forum over the years. And of course the previous precedent set when a mod took p155 out of a member for being short whilst arguing with him ?

Very strange for PT not to have replied. Please tell me he hasn’t been banned for disagreeing with PJJ because that thread is 6 of one half dozen of the other. Especially after how much he’s contributed to the forum over the years. And of course the previous precedent set when a mod took p155 out of a member for being short whilst arguing with him ?
Just spoke to PT. He has been handed a 1 month ban. For apparently abusive behaviour.  

Latest Posts

Back