Jump to content

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.

Streamline heatwave thermo 2 questions


ALPINEYORKS

Recommended Posts

Hey firstly are these straightforward to plumb up, I would use a separate fuel tank to run of red diesel.

Are they easy to set up to circulate the water round the tank over night to prevent freezing.

 

The offer two models

9kw and 5.2kw

what's the most beneficial for a one man set up.

Pros and cons of both

Thanks

Link to comment
28 minutes ago, ALPINEYORKS said:

Hey firstly are these straightforward to plumb up, I would use a separate fuel tank to run of red diesel.

Are they easy to set up to circulate the water round the tank over night to prevent freezing.

 

The offer two models

9kw and 5.2kw

what's the most beneficial for a one man set up.

Pros and cons of both

Thanks

From what I've seen, they require power from a battery, diesel can be supplied via a generic Chineseium style diesel heater style flat tank and plumbed in with ease. Water is drawn from the tank and heated upon demand 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, ALPINEYORKS said:

Hey firstly are these straightforward to plumb up, I would use a separate fuel tank to run of red diesel.

Are they easy to set up to circulate the water round the tank over night to prevent freezing.

 

The offer two models

9kw and 5.2kw

what's the most beneficial for a one man set up.

Pros and cons of both

Thanks

9kw the 5kw won't be hot enough.....these are best fitted by someone who's knows what their doing....its not a DIY job for most people 

You ll need to drill through the floor for air inlet and exhaust....you also need good adequate battery bank and split charge relay fitted....

Red diesel is not recommended...it can coke the burner up prematurely 

Link to comment
37 minutes ago, dazmond said:

9kw the 5kw won't be hot enough.....these are best fitted by someone who's knows what their doing....its not a DIY job for most people 

You ll need to drill through the floor for air inlet and exhaust....you also need good adequate battery bank and split charge relay fitted....

Red diesel is not recommended...it can coke the burner up prematurely 

Added to this is that the regulations regarding the use of red diesel change from April next year (2022). While red diesel can be legally used for heating purposes atm which would include running a diesel heater now, most sales next year for commercial applications will cease.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/reform-of-red-diesel-entitlements/reform-of-red-diesel-and-other-rebated-fuels-entitlement

Imho fitting a second tank to use red diesel is no longer necessary. The easiest way would be to tap into your own diesel tank.

All these little changes the government is making are going to have a major impact on the cost of services and the cost of living. I also believe that the reduced sales of red diesel to industry at the forecourts, ie tree surgeons etc, will mean that most of these outlets will close.

Edited by spruce
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, scottish cleaning service said:

Say I have an electric van and fit a tank for diesel heater then I was going to use red diesel if I can get it.

With an electric van you would have to do that anyway, but red diesel will be an issue in April. In our local service station that caters for the fishing boats there is a large notice on the wall saying that red diesel is not for road use. They rely on your honesty as to its use. Obviously you can only fill drums unless you have a tractor towing the fishing boats up and down the beach. They rely on government inspectors to enforce the correct use of red diesel. I would imagine that from April all their sales will be strictly recorded with purchasers details like the recording of number plates are.

As far as I'm aware, canal boats will continue to be allowed a 60/40 propulsion/heating split where 60% of the red diesel sold to the boater is taxed normally for propulsion and the remaining 40% for heating at the reduced rate. Every time you filled up at a marina you had your details logged.

With regard to a tank, it would need to be of reasonable size and you would need to be able to see how much fuel you have left. One of the major issues with these heaters is running out of diesel. The heater will try to restart 3 times and then lock out. While removing the fuse will work most of the time, there is always the possibility that it can only be sorted at a Webasto service supplier with his Webasto computer program.

This is why its always best to use the van's tank as a diesel source. Citroen brought out a Berlingo Electric van back in the early 2000's. The only form of heating/windscreen demisting/defrosting was a Webasto Thermo Top C which ran off diesel from a small diesel tank. None of the units ever had a working heater as no one put fuel into the tank. They were all 'bricked'.

Edited by spruce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, spruce said:

With an electric van you would have to do that anyway, but red diesel will be an issue in April. In our local service station that caters for the fishing boats there is a large notice on the wall saying that red diesel is not for road use. They rely on your honesty as to its use. Obviously you can only fill drums unless you have a tractor towing the fishing boats up and down the beach. They rely on government inspectors to enforce the correct use of red diesel. I would imagine that from April all their sales will be strictly recorded with purchasers details like the recording of number plates are.

As far as I'm aware, canal boats will continue to be allowed a 60/40 propulsion/heating split where 60% of the red diesel sold to the boater is taxed normally for propulsion and the remaining 40% for heating at the reduced rate. Every time you filled up at a marina you had your details logged.

With regard to a tank, it would need to be of reasonable size and you would need to be able to see how much fuel you have left. One of the major issues with these heaters is running out of diesel. The heater will try to restart 3 times and then lock out. While removing the fuse will work most of the time, there is always the possibility that it can only be sorted at a Webasto service supplier with his Webasto computer program.

This is why its always best to use the van's tank as a diesel source. Citroen brought out a Berlingo Electric van back in the early 2000's. The only form of heating/windscreen demisting/defrosting was a Webasto Thermo Top C which ran off diesel from a small diesel tank. None of the units ever had a working heater as no one put fuel into the tank. They were all 'bricked'.

Seems like if you want an electric van then an electric heater the night before seems the way forward but the cost may out way the option of an electric van. Seems we are stuck with diesel for immediate future and prices will just have to rise. I used to miss collecting back payments but not any more because all they do is hold one back. If they try and wriggle out of it then I just tell them to find someone else. Keeping the good payers and dumping the toxic payers means I can invest in new van, as I've got it down to a pound a minute when working. Folk do try and slow me down but I have a new attitude now.

 

Link to comment

Don't want to see ads? Become a subscribed member.


Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Ad Blocker Detected

Please disable your ad blocker

Our forum relies on ads to pay for the servers and our time maintaining and running the forum.

Sadly running a forum like this is not free, and due to our popularity, we need servers that can handle the amount of traffic and resources our forum uses.

 

If you do not wish to see ads on our site, please consider supporting the forum with a membership subscription.

 

Accept