Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Website how effective

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Spit & polish

Hi im considering doing a website but wondering how effective peoples websites are?

Say your 3rd in doncaster is it bringing 5 jobs a month, 0 etc.

So i can work out if roi is any good.

Thanks

It will depend on your work area and how many cleaners have websites already and for how many years they have had them as historical content can help with higher rankings on the first page of Google, I am always within the top 3 usually 1st or 2nd but I've had a website for maybe 15 years or more,

I get far more enquiries through FB but no doubt my website helps a lot I have put a lot of work into the content to portray the most professional image to stand out from my competition I do the same on FB, the question you ask about how many enquiries is like "how long is a piece of string" no one can give you that answer at all as there is too many factors at play. 

I don't think I get any business from my website but I believe its necessary too look professional. I have recently advertised in a small local book in two councils because there is no windy on it. Not sure how it will go but I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Beginning to streamline my work rather than run about all over the place. The work is out there one just needs to attract it to you.

@Pjj and @Iron Giantis your website pro done and seo optimized? Thanks

Yes it’s professionally done don’t have a clue about optimisation sorry ???? just know it’s at the top of a google search in my area and get loads of enquires though it ,had it around 8 years or more now it was initially slow to get Any responses  . 

Website is a pro build but no SEO has been done I have had an SEO guy @K in Kent give a quick look over as a favour he said there was only a few minor issues with my site but as I ranked high those minor issues didn't matter so much.

With any build you need to provide all the content text and photos I wrote the lot and have made my own changes over the years and the photos on my site are mine just a few that aren't but are off my local area, nowt worse than a site full of images of someone else's photos and work.

When you're writing content for a website the thing to concentrate on is making it relevant and useful to the user, and make it better than the competition. There are all sorts of ways of doing it but it can be something as just explaining what your service involves.

Don't make assumptions about what your customers already know and terms they'll understand and explain everything. That is useful to the user and it's what Google wants to see. So even terms like WFP, don't use them without explanation of what it is. WFP or water fed pole - neither phrase means much to most people so provide detail.

You'll talk about using pure water so explain exactly what it is and why it's better for the customer. The more detail you give the better you'll rank.

Choose a traget keyword for every page but don't overuse it and combine it with related keywords / phrases and up to a point it should optimise itself in terms of the keywords you want to rank for just by writing about them. The sort of keywords to target are a phrase rather than individual words e.g. window cleaner + Town X.

So if your target keyword is window cleaner in Town X you'll also want to use on that page phrases like 'window cleaning services', 'residential window cleaners', 'professional w/cleaning' etc. These closely related phrases add context to your target keyword and make the page more relevant.

Each location you want to target needs its own unique page optimised for that location.

A website is definitely worth getting. Just think about the actual content and how you can make it better and more relevant and useful than your competition. Just churning out pages saying what a great w/cleaning service you provide is no good to anyone and no different to all the other established sites. So have something to say abut your services and make sense of them for theuser - and Google.....relevance and usefulness are what it's all about (well, bit more to it than that but if you concentrate on that you won't go far wrong).

A website blog can be useful if used correctly and kept updated.

When you're writing content for a website the thing to concentrate on is making it relevant and useful to the user, and make it better than the competition. There are all sorts of ways of doing it but it can be something as just explaining what your service involves.

Don't make assumptions about what your customers already know and terms they'll understand and explain everything. That is useful to the user and it's what Google wants to see. So even terms like WFP, don't use them without explanation of what it is. WFP or water fed pole - neither phrase means much to most people so provide detail.

You'll talk about using pure water so explain exactly what it is and why it's better for the customer. The more detail you give the better you'll rank.

Choose a traget keyword for every page but don't overuse it and combine it with related keywords / phrases and up to a point it should optimise itself in terms of the keywords you want to rank for just by writing about them. The sort of keywords to target are a phrase rather than individual words e.g. window cleaner + Town X.

So if your target keyword is window cleaner in Town X you'll also want to use on that page phrases like 'window cleaning services', 'residential window cleaners', 'professional w/cleaning' etc. These closely related phrases add context to your target keyword and make the page more relevant.

Each location you want to target needs its own unique page optimised for that location.

A website is definitely worth getting. Just think about the actual content and how you can make it better and more relevant and useful than your competition. Just churning out pages saying what a great w/cleaning service you provide is no good to anyone and no different to all the other established sites. So have something to say abut your services and make sense of them for theuser - and Google.....relevance and usefulness are what it's all about (well, bit more to it than that but if you concentrate on that you won't go far wrong).

A website blog can be useful if used correctly and kept updated.
Some cleaners just churn out something basic, I know mine isn't all singing and dancing, But one important thing you missed is spelling and grammar I use the Grammarly app on my pc and this corrects 99.9% of written content just the odd occasion were it's wrong with it been non uk app it works within wordpress which is great for me it even corrected some of the proof readers mistakes ?

Some cleaners just churn out something basic, I know mine isn't all singing and dancing, But one important thing you missed is spelling and grammar I use the Grammarly app on my pc and this corrects 99.9% of written content just the odd occasion were it's wrong with it been non uk app it works within wordpress which is great for me it even corrected some of the proof readers mistakes ?
Hello mate, I missed out lots of things to be honest because I was trying to keep it simple, and the single most important fundamental to get right is the content. Concentrate on improving it and making it better than your competitors. But you're quite right, spelling and grammar does matter and is a ranking factor and it looks more professional. Poorly written, badly spelt content is likely to harm your rankings and reflects badly on you, or can do. But then again, standards of grammar and spelling these days are pretty appalling. And as you say spell checkers are for American spellings many of which are different to ours.

And basic is fine if you have something worthwhile to say. There's nothing wrong with your site and you don't need anything flash or a visual masterpiece. Google doesn't care how pretty a website is, it's what it says that matters and the user experience e.g site speed, is it mobile friendly, is it secure, easy to navigate.

Google are also introducing new ranking factors called Core Web Vitals which are focused on user experience.

As well as spelling and grammar the language used can also be an issue. For example the free Yoast SEO plugin on WordPress measures content for keyword optimisation and readability. To get a green light for readability is equivalent to the reading age of 13-15 year olds. So in other words dumb down rather than up e.g. don't use a word like 'fundamental' if 'basic' will do instead.

What good optimisation and SEO involves is another matter but it all starts with good content, well wriiten on a mobile friendly, fast, secure, easy to navigate webite.

Great info @K in Kent thank you.

I'll probably get seo for 2 towns i work in one on each page as you say. 

Thanks everyone.
And ideally only one service per page, so addons each need their own targetted page. It can be done combining multiple services on 1 page or your homepage might rank better and that should be a summary of all services provided and locations covered.

But I would suggest you're better off concentrating on one service and one location on their individual pages. This way it's more targetted and adding extra services and locations only dilutes the emphasis of the page and sends Google conflicting messages.

You'll also need to do some off page SEO, which basically means other ways of improving your ranking that are not website related. Most importantly you need to build an online presence and in doing so acquire citations (mentions of your business online). You should claim your free business listings with Google and Bing - these links take you to the right pages - and some other directories are worth registering with

Google My business

Bing Places

It used to be the case that it helped to get as many directory listings as possible = more ctations. That's no longer the case and there are a limited number of authoritative directories, but the good ones you should register with include Yell, Yelp, thomson, Cylex, scoot, hot frog, freeindex and there are some others if you're interested.

The thing to remember with directories are that the vast majority are a waste of time. They get no online traffic and have very low domain authority. They only exist for SEO purposes and to sell small businesses a premium listing with a link to their website. Listing with too many of these could hurt your rankings.

Also register with some location specific directories that relate to your town/ city or county as they help with location relevance - 2 or 3 is plenty.

Back